March 28, 2024, 02:05:27 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Panhead Speedometer Question.....

Started by JamLazyAss, March 07, 2019, 04:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamLazyAss

March 07, 2019, 04:08:54 PM Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 08:11:33 PM by JamLazyAss
My transmission was leaking a lot, and had been previously welded on, etc.
So after finding a nicer transmission, I rebuilt and installed it my 52 last year.
Now my speedometer is off.
If I do 80mph, it reads 40mph.
I wanted to replace the speedometer anyhow, but I want to be sure that I get the correct one.
Do I need the 2:1 ratio speedometer to correct this, or a 1:1ratio?

I'm assuming the 2:1 is what I want/need, but I want to be sure.
Thanks guys.
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

kd

There is a fine and coarse drive speedo gear set.  They measure about the difference in speed you report.  They interchange.   Put your old speedo gears and cable drive back into the replacement gear set and all will be back to normal.
KD

JamLazyAss

The bike is back together so I don't want to tear it apart again to swap the speedo gear.
That's why I'm looking to just replace the speedometer itself.

Brrrap

Jam,
  Hard to believe no one is piping in on this to you. I believe, Yes, Put on a 2:1 speedo. I'm pretty damn sure its what I bought when I replaced mine on my Panhead.
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

JamLazyAss

Quote from: Brrrap on March 11, 2019, 07:47:43 PM
Jam,
  Hard to believe no one is piping in on this to you. I believe, Yes, Put on a 2:1 speedo. I'm pretty damn sure its what I bought when I replaced mine on my Panhead.

Hi Bob,
How are you doing?
Yeah I think you're right.
Time to start shopping for one.

Brrrap

Jam,
  All is good out here in Wisconsin. Work-a-hol-ic in full stride. 72-73 hour weeks, I'm not complaining, I have a very serious Street rod going together and extra money is damage control against the $$$ going into it. It'll be finished late summer next year. My Panhead is ready for another season alongside the 2016 Police model that I "Civilian-ized". Finally finished up rebuilding our old 79 Shovel and will be out on that a little bit this year. Hoping all is well with you too man, Stay warm!
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86