March 29, 2024, 04:49:55 AM

News:

EFI Trouble

Started by dwjohnson, March 20, 2019, 01:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwjohnson

Hey Guys, working on a 2008 XL w/ Fuel Injection. Bike has been sitting for a long time and I was asked to get it running.
New battery and new battery in FOB was needed first thing. Then I unhooked the fuel line between tank and fuel rail before trying to start it, and fired it off on starting fluid just to be sure my only issues would be the fuel delivery system.
  All was going great and as planned. While I had the fuel line disconnected, I decided to test fuel pressure. That's when I found no pump operation, which lead to finding no power to pump.  Then I went ahead and pulled the tank, dropped the pump assembly and started to flush tank and address the assembly as needed.
Back to no power to pump. While tracing that problem, I found no power on the fuel pump fuse which lead me to the relay. Now here is where I get lost. There are two relays, the bottom one shows to be the system relay.(top shows to be starter,which worked perfectly) which fires up the pump fuse I think. The system relay is clicking twice when I turn the key on, once immediately and then again about 2-3 seconds after. Is this relay like a resettable circuit breaker? Is this telling me of a fault? I swapped the relays from top to bottom with no difference either way.
  Does this sound like something that could have happened from sitting in storage? Any help or advice? Thanks

rigidthumper

ECM turns the system relay on for two seconds at key on ( with run/stop switch in run position) to prime the pump. System relay then stays off until the ECM receives a crank trigger signal, then turns the system relay back on, which energizes the pump & coil. If everything is hooked up, you should hear the pump run during those two seconds. If not, check power and ground wire connections to the pump.
HTH
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

dwjohnson

Ofcourse it does, I realize it now in hindsight. It came to me last night after bed also. I've been checking a problem that isn't even there. Isn't that funny. I just didn't realize it cut the power at the relay after the few seconds of prime.
The pump is rusty and frozen up from sitting so long so I guess when it didn't make any noise, I must have jumped right on a rabbit trail about no power. That;s what a guy gets for working on something he doesn't know much about.Thanks
I believe I'll just order the whole replacement assembly from Harley as this thing looks and smells really bad. What's up with some many changes to the part number?? 75268-07

rigidthumper

Ya, they had some early issues with the onboard regulator, and the clip, and the sending unit, etc. I think they are OK at this point- order part # 75268-07F and you should be fine.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?