May 08, 2024, 12:03:52 AM

News:

First Things You Do After Buying a Used Bike

Started by Ironpig9, April 07, 2019, 11:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironpig9

First, let me say I'm not seeking guidance. Had I more space in the garage (it's got 3 bikes in it now and is crowded) I would have done some service work first (fluids, cables, adjustments etc). This is a 2013 Deluxe, my first Softail and I've just been getting to know the bike on a very superficial level - mostly cleaning. It was purchased from an Indian dealer who also sells HD when he can get used ones. Things I discovered: brake fluid is piss yellow (you know what that means), both tires inflated to 45 lbs. (thought it was riding a bit harsh), air filter needs to be replaced, spark plugs gapped at .39 which works for me but the outside of the plugs is weathered (a little brass brushing fixed that). So, when you get a "new" used bike, what do you like to address first? Just curious. Oh, and the dealership gave it a fluid service but with dinosaur oil, so I'll be draining all the holes and putting in some syn fluids. :gob:  :agree:
"The road goes on forever...."

Sinker

Change all fluids the a very thorough cleaning.

PoorUB

Used motorcycle, oil filter, air filter, replace the brake fluid, check the pads, tires, spin the wheels to check the wheel bearings, steering head bearings, lube or service depending on miles, probably more. Don't assume anything.

Fresh dino oil? Run it 3,000 miles then change it. Why dump it? :idunno:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

jamminhd2000

Fork Oil is often overlooked... piss yellow might be new dot 4 premium...jimmy

smoserx1

I would be more worried if the brake fluid was dark.  I believe I would just let a little air out of the tires and ride.

Paniolo

Review the service records. If the bike doesn't come with service records, I'm not buying it.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

Hossamania

My service record is a bunch of receipts stuffed in a ziploc bag. I'm not very good about keeping accurate mileage and records.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

PoorUB

Service records? I maintain my ride, but I don't keep records!

Boe Cole

Quote from: PoorUB on April 08, 2019, 07:36:22 AM
Service records? I maintain my ride, but I don't keep records!

Kept receipts and records while in warranty - when it expired, so did my receipt keeping.....
Still do a full blown service each winter and go over everything so when spring comes, I'm ready to ride.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

chaos901

Check the manufacturer date on the tires, if more than 7 years change the tires.  Obviously change the fluids first, but that had been mentioned. 
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

screem

i will pick up a low mile, original paint evo softail from time to time. Like others have said, fresh service, replace tires if needed, brake pads, i almost always throw on a set chrome lower legs and a pair of polished rotors, repack wheel bearings and change fork oil. Do a full detail to paint, frame, chrome and wheels. Then remove any of the hokey stuff the previous owner added... Live to Ride crap.. odd colored plug wires..

then its time to ride, and throw out the chum and see if any of the guys i know, want it more than i do..lol

PoorUB

Love the "live to ride" crap. I looked at a used Harley and he bought every live to ride accessory he could find. I asked him if he had any of the stock parts to put back on, I think I offended him! He couldn't understand why someone wouldn't like "live to ride" in about 50 different places on their Harley.

Paniolo

Quote from: PoorUB on April 08, 2019, 01:48:52 PM
Love the "live to ride" crap.

I knew two guys we'll call "Tom and Jerry" who used to screw with each other with practical jokes all the time. "Tom" bought a new bike. When it went in for service "Jerry" called the dealership, and asked them in install a whole bunch of Live to Ride, stuff, mirrors, gas cap all that. It would have pissed me off, but it was on Helluva prank.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

chopper

Guy I used to ride with played pranks all the time (as did I) I had  a 76 FX (kick only) and he had a mid 70's XLCH (also kick only) We NEVER took the keys out of either of them. Hell, who kick starts anymore?
  I'd be out riding, see his bike at a bar (or anywhere) , pull in, leave mine and take his. He'd do the same.
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

1workinman

Quote from: Ironpig9 on April 07, 2019, 11:55:23 AM
First, let me say I'm not seeking guidance. Had I more space in the garage (it's got 3 bikes in it now and is crowded) I would have done some service work first (fluids, cables, adjustments etc). This is a 2013 Deluxe, my first Softail and I've just been getting to know the bike on a very superficial level - mostly cleaning. It was purchased from an Indian dealer who also sells HD when he can get used ones. Things I discovered: brake fluid is piss yellow (you know what that means), both tires inflated to 45 lbs. (thought it was riding a bit harsh), air filter needs to be replaced, spark plugs gapped at .39 which works for me but the outside of the plugs is weathered (a little brass brushing fixed that). So, when you get a "new" used bike, what do you like to address first? Just curious. Oh, and the dealership gave it a fluid service but with dinosaur oil, so I'll be draining all the holes and putting in some syn fluids. :gob:  :agree:
I bought a used 12 I think Street glide checked out and ready to go for Harley and in less than 1000 miles the rod went out . I may have started earlier . So I not real big on used bikes from the dealer . A built SS motor fixed that problem 

topcat3815

jmorton10

I love pranking people.

I owned a biker bar for 20 years (my partner was a Hells Angel).  There was this total douche that hung around there who went out & paid $47,000 for a new chopper (I forget who built it).

Everybody knew he was just a profiler who was never going to ride anywhere except from his house to the bar.  The very first day he owned it, it parked right in front of the bar.  As soon as he wasn't paying attention this ballbreaker we all knew ran out with an oil can & squirted oil all over the bottom of the motor & made a pool of oil underneath it.

The dude freaked when he saw the "oil leak" & called a flatbed to return it to where he bought it.  The same guy did this to him 3 times, at that point he stopped coming around (& nobody cared LOL)

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

SixShooter14

Quote from: PoorUB on April 08, 2019, 01:48:52 PM
Love the "live to ride" crap. I looked at a used Harley and he bought every live to ride accessory he could find. I asked him if he had any of the stock parts to put back on, I think I offended him! He couldn't understand why someone wouldn't like "live to ride" in about 50 different places on their Harley.
My previous had all the LTR stuff. Derby cover, timing cover, gas cap, mirrors, etc....I wasn't too keen on it all, but I didn't care enough to spend the money replacing it. Well, except for the mirrors as the old ones were rusty and the bolts were stripped so the guy had attached them to the bars using EPOXY!!!  :banghead: He did the  same with the handlebar mounted turn signals.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Leed

Ironpig9

PoorUB - I hear what you're saying about running the Dino oil for a few thousand and replacing it. And I might do that. Thankfully, this bike didn't have any LTR stuff on it. But it does have some nice Vance & Hines slash cut slip ons. Orig. front tire with 10K on it is history in that it's got some dry rot down in the bottom of the tread. Better safe than sorry is a good motto for motorcycling. Rear tire is good to go. Plan to have the steering head greased. Have run some Seafoam thru it and will run some more. It runs fine but once again, better safe than sorry. Thanks for your input.   :scoot:
"The road goes on forever...."

SixShooter14

Quote from: Ironpig9 on April 11, 2019, 03:17:28 PM
PoorUB - I hear what you're saying about running the Dino oil for a few thousand and replacing it. And I might do that. Thankfully, this bike didn't have any LTR stuff on it. But it does have some nice Vance & Hines slash cut slip ons. Orig. front tire with 10K on it is history in that it's got some dry rot down in the bottom of the tread. Better safe than sorry is a good motto for motorcycling. Rear tire is good to go. Plan to have the steering head greased. Have run some Seafoam thru it and will run some more. It runs fine but once again, better safe than sorry. Thanks for your input.   :scoot:
If you have a borescope, you might pull the spark plugs and take a look...

But then again, maybe you don't want to see what's in there. :missed:
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i