May 03, 2024, 06:41:59 AM

News:

adjustable push rod covers

Started by chas, April 05, 2019, 06:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chas

Hi All- I just finished installing and adjusting adjustable push rods. I went to install the final covers and noticed that the new ones I was given were longer than the originals! Is this done so you can cut them to fit? Because they are too long and I don't see them working! The original covers fit in but are loose and short. Many thanks in advance.

kd

what parts are too long?  Some adjustables for twin cam engines will come with shorter Evo lower covers and longer clips.
KD

319fatboy

What brand push rods?  Did you by chance mix up the new lower tubes with the original lower tubes?

fbn ent

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

chas

The top clips are too long! Maybe I should be using the old bases with the longer clips?

kd

Generally short tubes with long clips with twin cam adjustables.  The short tube allows you to lift them higher when accessing the adjusting nuts.  I suspect that you are about to get more practice adjusting pushrods.
KD

clap

lower tubes are shorter so the top clips are longer than the stock clips . they will go in I just did it yesterday

Hossamania

Make sure the top tube is going all the way up. Check to make sure the old O-ring isn't still stuck up there.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

FLDavetrain

Your probably not seating the top tube all the way to the head oring. Grab tube w 2 fingers evenly and press it up into the head, it should move up 1/8 inch or so more than you've had it. Also if your not depressing the center spring completely when sliding in the top retaining cover you'll struggle getting it in.
currently 510ci on tap

kd

You will also find the collar to be very stiff to slide down and get the clip in place.  It can be a tight fit. 
KD

fbn ent

It is a tight fit. I agree with Hoss, did you remove the old O-rings? Won't go together if they are still in the head. I use a flat screwdriver to lever the collar down and clip in at the same time. It is a bit of a PIA as the collar hangs on a fin sometimes but the will go in. Afer adjusting your pushrods a few times you too can be an expert. :dgust:

jrgreene1968

Them clips will drive you to drinking till you figure out the trick  :SM:

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

fbn ent

That thing works?!! After all these years I guess I'll pick one up.  :up:

Rockout Rocker Products

www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Hossamania

A friend of mine just got one, he said it works great, should have gotten one years ago, and he's only done three or four cam jobs.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

bootit

just a heads up on that tool.There is a small pin that limits the travel, it is at the pivot point. I finished up a job and it was sitting on the bench. Took awhile to figure out where it came from. Could have gone anywhere!!

fbn ent

That's something to keep an eye on. Thanks for the head's up.  :up:

les

On several occasions I've had to take the clips (only) to the grinding wheel and shorten them.  This typically happens when I've installed milled heads.  It works, but you just need to eyeball a nice flat consistent grind on the clips.

chaos901

That tool works good, used it this weekend. 
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Ohio HD