May 01, 2024, 01:58:29 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

six speed noise

Started by hogmandon, April 05, 2019, 04:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogmandon

is there a fix for the 6 speed wine besides turning up the radio. It is getting worse and only has 11,000m on it. 4th gear has a little wine but nothing like 6th gear.

calif phil

Redline, Spectro or BelRay oil might help. 

hogmandon

I have always used 75/90 or 90/140 gear oil in this bike, never engine oil as per HD. Might try Red Line that stuff is really sticky. Used it once in a softail I had. don't want to even think about a bearing going bad
Thanks for the oil reminder

rbabos

Quote from: hogmandon on April 05, 2019, 07:44:35 AM
I have always used 75/90 or 90/140 gear oil in this bike, never engine oil as per HD. Might try Red Line that stuff is really sticky. Used it once in a softail I had. don't want to even think about a bearing going bad
If it's getting worse, somethings on it's way out.
Ron

Norton Commando

Quote from: rbabos on April 05, 2019, 09:35:13 AM
If it's getting worse, somethings on it's way out.
Ron

I agree. 
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

hogmandon

I went for a 100m ride came back and changed the tranny  oil when it was still hot. If there was any metal in there it would still be hanging in the oil. No metal or shiny particals in the oil. If I new the exact fix I would just pull out the gear box and replace those parts. I hate to do all that work and just throw $$ at is it and end up with the same noise. There are a lot of these noisy trannies out there. There must be a known fix.
Thanks for any ideas

klammer76

What year is the bike? HD oem, baker, SE? I have a 2002 FLH. I put a SE OD six speed in it . Runs as quiet as my 5 speed did. Have used Mobil 1 75w90 gear lube in both and tried Spectro 6 speed lube last year. I actually like the M1 better. The SE does have straight cut gears, the 07 up FLH & 06 up dynas have helical cut gears. Don't know if one is noisier than the other. I wouldn't trade my 6 speed with 3.37 primary gor anything.

topcat3815

Mine has a very noisy neutral rattle but goes away when I pull the clutch in, tried several different gear lubes same result, Ill just live with it

Norton Commando

Quote from: topcat3815 on April 06, 2019, 10:45:14 AM
Mine has a very noisy neutral rattle but goes away when I pull the clutch in, tried several different gear lubes same result, Ill just live with it

My 2012 FLHTK has a noisy neutral rattle that also goes away when engaging the clutch. However, when in neutral with a cold engine and transmission, it's as quiet as a Church Mouse.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

kouack

Quote from: Norton Commando on April 06, 2019, 12:53:24 PM
Quote from: topcat3815 on April 06, 2019, 10:45:14 AM

My 2012 FLHTK has a noisy neutral rattle that also goes away when engaging the clutch. However, when in neutral with a cold engine and transmission, it's as quiet as a Church Mouse.

Jason

Same for me, bike cold is quiet also, but after 5 minutes rattle is fairly loud,  :embarrassed:FLTRX 2013. Tried different oil but as no effect on the rattle, lucas, valvoline, royal purple, shock proof.

hogmandon

April 07, 2019, 05:56:06 AM #10 Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 06:00:10 AM by hogmandon
I put the SE OD six speed gear kit in my 06 RG. If the noise gets any louder I will just pull out the tranny, check everything  and replace the 4 bearings. Rode down to Daytona for bike week It was quiet on the way down and most of the way back. Last few hrs it got noisey. Makes no sense had plenty of oil. 2500m round trip

klammer76

Quote from: hogmandon on April 07, 2019, 05:56:06 AM
I put the SE OD six speed gear kit in my 06 RG. If the noise gets any louder I will just pull out the tranny, check everything  and replace the 4 bearings. Rode down to Daytona for bike week It was quiet on the way down and most of the way back. Last few hrs it got noisey. Makes no sense had plenty of oil. 2500m round trip
I have the same transmission but mine is quiet. I bought mine new complete (case and gears). There was another guy on here a few years ago that said his was noisy also. I never heard if he found out what the problem was.

boooby1744

You've used light and heavy. Why don't you try something in the middle like amsoil
75-110?

MikeL

I have noise in my 2007 ultra transmission/primary with 5100 miles I bought last July from a dealer.
First problem was final drive belt was tight way too tight sounded like a siren from a distance. Fixed that.
Still had a noise. Didn't like the way it shifted into first gear. Pulled the primary cover, auto chain tension way too tight like a banjo string and this was cold. Installed Manuel adjuster and filled with Amsoil Torque Drive ATF I had left over from my truck trans service. Good shifting now no clunk but a slight whine. Could be the tensioner breaking in. Put about 500 mi. on it so far.
Haven't changed the trans lube yet it appears to be engine oil. Gonna change the trans lube to Amsoil trans lube for vee twins this weekend.
I have been into these 6 speed transmissions the caged roller bearings seemed to be sloppier than the 5 speed bearings.
It would not surprise me if the big output bearing or the inner primary got hurt due to the miss adjusted primary chain and or drive belt. I'm gonna run it. If it gets worse it gets pulled. I'll let you all know........

MIKE

Dan89flstc

This thread is going all over the place.

OP: Exactly what transmission do you have?
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

klammer76

Quote from: Dan89flstc on April 09, 2019, 10:52:29 AM
This thread is going all over the place.

OP: Exactly what transmission do you have?
Post #10, SE OD6 in a 2006

hogmandon

I am just going to run it till it shows itself then fix it. thanks for all the replies. I will let you all know what happens. Enjoy the nice weather now that it is here.