March 28, 2024, 07:04:40 AM

News:

M8 6 speed transmission.

Started by Durwood, April 07, 2019, 08:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbroski

I can only comment about my bike, i'm running the stock trans with no issues. Ran it for 6400 miles before checking/changing fluid, went back with formula plus due to it working. Baker is a great company but grudge box is not for me

rbabos

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on April 09, 2019, 09:11:11 AM
All the gears in the m8 tranny are the same as later twincams except for the countershaft.  Wouldn't be surprised if it interchanges.  Mainshaft is the same. 2nd/3rd gear countershaft are the same.
So, basically some are reaching the design limit of the gear box then?
Ron

FSG

Freedom1974

Great more things to worry about !

joe_lyons

I had a customer blow through 3rd gear on his 17. Built 114".
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

08flstf

Well I think I just blew through my 3rd gear yesterday. Just got my 124 tuned the day before and took it out for my first test ride and apparently 3rd gear wasn't up to the task. Is there a more economic solution than going with the grudge box? I could do that if I have to but if there is another solution that might still be reliable I would like to explore other options. I always try to do all my own work when I can but have never gone into the transmission, nor do I have any of the specialty tools that may be required. Wondering if Baker or anyone else might make replacement gears or other parts that might be more robust vs replacing the whole gearset.

Billy

Quote from: 08flstf on April 29, 2019, 04:47:30 AM
Well I think I just blew through my 3rd gear yesterday. Just got my 124 tuned the day before and took it out for my first test ride and apparently 3rd gear wasn't up to the task. Is there a more economic solution than going with the grudge box? I could do that if I have to but if there is another solution that might still be reliable I would like to explore other options. I always try to do all my own work when I can but have never gone into the transmission, nor do I have any of the specialty tools that may be required. Wondering if Baker or anyone else might make replacement gears or other parts that might be more robust vs replacing the whole gearset.

I think your only options are to repair/replace yours with factory parts and expect the same durability, or the grudgebox. I've been waiting over a month for the grudgebox.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

jbroski

Quote from: Billy on April 29, 2019, 01:07:54 PM

I think your only options are to repair/replace yours with factory parts and expect the same durability, or the grudgebox. I've been waiting over a month for the grudgebox.

not claiming this is the fix or anything like that. I bought an oem transmission and sent it to liberty gears and had them enhance it, cryo treat, shot peen, polish. I believe these are the correct terms. I have not used it yet because I can't seem to break the stock one. we are running an oem 5 speed with this done and very good results so far

08flstf

April 30, 2019, 07:57:31 AM #33 Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 09:27:26 AM by FSG
Quote from: jbroski on April 30, 2019, 06:14:26 AM
not claiming this is the fix or anything like that. I bought an oem transmission and sent it to liberty gears and had them enhance it, cryo treat, shot peen, polish. I believe these are the correct terms. I have not used it yet because I can't seem to break the stock one. we are running an oem 5 speed with this done and very good results so far

Ok I'm confused. I'm riding a 2018 FLTRU M8 with the stock 6 speed. What type of transmission are you referring to? Don't know if Jims has any options for the M8 6 speeds or if anyone else does besides Baker. What would be an approximate cost for the work you referenced by Liberty?

sfmichael

April 30, 2019, 08:10:57 AM #34 Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 09:29:59 AM by FSG
Quote from: 08flstf on April 30, 2019, 07:57:31 AM

Ok I'm confused. I'm riding a 2018 FLTRU M8 with the stock 6 speed. What type of transmission are you referring to? Don't know if Jims has any options for the M8 6 speeds or if anyone else does besides Baker. What would be an approximate cost for the work you referenced by Liberty?

"OEM 5 speed" is likely a 1999-2006 stock 5 speed from a Twin Cam
Colorado Springs, CO.

08flstf

Not trying to be smarta$$, but how does that relate to the M8 6 speed?

sfmichael

Quote from: 08flstf on April 30, 2019, 08:24:19 AM

read the very first reply...  :smiled:

are you new here?
Colorado Springs, CO.

kd

I think jbroski is simply stating that at this point in time there are not a lot of options out there he knows of "or things to compare".  He is using the 5 speed he had modified as an example and is putting big power through as something that has worked for him and caused him to have his 6 speed doctored because of that.  He also states at this point he can not report on how well the application(s) worked on the 6 speed because it hasn't been put into service yet.  It will be interesting to see how well it does work though because jbroski has proven to be pounding on his big power bikes (racing) harder than most.
KD

jbroski

April 30, 2019, 08:51:59 AM #38 Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 09:31:15 AM by FSG

nothing, i'm an idiot. go buy a grudge box

08flstf

Ok when I said "not trying to be a smarta$$" that's actually what I meant. I misread the part that I highlighted myself. I thought he meant bone stock 5 speed, didn't realize he had had this work done to it. Sorry if I'm not catching on fast enough, just trying to find some options.

FSG

Quote from: Billy on April 29, 2019, 01:07:54 PM

not having had one apart I'm wondering if there's any realestate that can be stolen in there so as to fit a wider 3rd gear OR perhaps a different helical angle on 3rd so the gears are less likely to be driven sideways/apart 

Durwood

May 01, 2019, 04:52:57 AM #41 Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 09:34:32 AM by FSG
Quote from: 08flstf on April 30, 2019, 07:57:31 AM

The way I read it is they have a Twin Cam bike with the enhanced 5spd in that's hanging in there with the mods, and that he also had an M8 6spd modified but hasn't used it yet because he hasn't broken the stock one.

jbroski

broke 3rd gear last night, now to see what the enhanced stock M8 trans will take

NHBagger

Durwood, on one of the trike forums a guy with an 2018 lost 5th gear and they said 6th was ready to go.  Dealer said it was a defective part.

Deye76

Are these failures all touring bikes, or softails also?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

TMcGuire17

As I understand it the problem is with the hardening and the fact that third gear is cast into the main shaft. Its also my understanding that the grudge box isn't going to hold up for long either without back cut gears and possible retreating the 3rd gear and main shaft. My 128 blew third gear last night, has nothing to do with lubrication but everything with to much power for the stock set. I do have quite a few miles on it and trips down the strip but I don't think my warranty will cover it :-) :-( Right now Im inclined to replace with stock until there is a rock solid resolution to justify 3-5K$. Also a grudge box is going to take mnths to get!

festus

For those who have had the trans 2nd or 3rd gear go out.
Check your comp Sliding cam very closely.
The bike i posted about in reply#7 had a new tranny installed by Harley dealer. All new.
275 miles later sliding cam broke, riding in 6th gear and just rolled it back.
I cant post a picture? but I have one.
Nothing is impossible if you don't have to do it yourself.

harttoo

Got Mine back from the Dealer two weeks ago.Lasted 176 miles and first gear started to rattle.Back in the shop again.Wonder if I will get to use it this summer!

scotman623

Older thread, Just wanted to update I lost 3rd Gear today on my 19 CVO RG, first time out on my 128 big bore build...I was getting on the gas pretty hard but nothing crazy, went to grab 3rd and heard some strange rattling noise then nothing... All of the sudden my rear wheel locked up, thank god I stayed up and got off the side of the road...Bike back home now and I'm deciding what to do now, obvious the stock tranny doesn't like this kind of torque....
Always look forward...

Nastytls

April 07, 2020, 08:12:30 AM #49 Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 08:19:39 AM by Nastytls
This is all very interesting, considering that they just came out with a 131" that makes way more torque than the stock engines. Are there now going to be a flood of warranty claims for trannies exploding? You would think that they would have made sure the trans can withstand these large TQ #'s before releasing this new bigger engine.

Also, I believe jbroski is running race bikes with much higher power levels than what the average guy will be, so if these enhancements are working in one of his bikes, I'd say they are likely to be a good solution; especially if the Grudge Box are taking many months to acquire.