May 06, 2024, 03:20:21 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Oil Weep

Started by Jim Bronson, April 08, 2019, 06:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rageglide

No disrespect, but do you let it warm up fully before you get on it?   (you aren't one of those party with your buds and walk out and fire the bike up and wank on it just to hear the noise kinda guys.  right :-D )

Jim Bronson

There's a term for that type of rider, but I won't use it here, since this is a civilized forum  :wink:. I always warm it up for 2-3 minutes at idle before I putt-putt out of my neighborhood.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

rageglide

jrgreene1968

Quote from: rageglide on April 26, 2019, 08:46:22 PM
No disrespect, but do you let it warm up fully before you get on it?   (you aren't one of those party with your buds and walk out and fire the bike up and wank on it just to hear the noise kinda guys.  right :-D )

I know some guys that do this.. and those same guys are at the redlight steadily revving there motors.. drives me freakin crazy

Paniolo

I don't wank on it right after a cold start, but I don't let it idle for two mins. I try to be respectful of my neighbors. I start the bike, as soon as the oil pressure comes up I ride slowly away. That should be okay.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Paniolo on April 27, 2019, 12:54:15 PM
I don't wank on it right after a cold start, but I don't let it idle for two mins. I try to be respectful of my neighbors. I start the bike, as soon as the oil pressure comes up I ride slowly away. That should be okay.
Should be fine. I only warm it up as I described because that's what my tuner recommended.

rageglide

I only mentioned the cold engine and rappin it cuz that kills base gaskets on evo's and it can cause some weepage on a twin cam.   I know a couple guys who will fire up a bike and immediately start jackin the throttle big time... 

Jim Bronson

I read in the SM that if a tech applies too much oil on the base o-rings during engine assembly, it can cause oil weep that can be mistaken for a leak. I would think it would soon dry up and stop weeping though.

PoorUB

Sure, but two years ago? And how many miles?

If it was too much assembly oil it would be there from the start, and probably gone by now, unless you haven't ridden it in two years.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Jim Bronson

Yeah it can't be the cause now.

Paniolo

Lastly,

Back when Syn3 first came out, a lot of TC owners who switched complained of weeps and leaks. The consensus at the time was that due to the synthetic make up of the oil and it's extra penetrative and lubricative properties, it was easier to seek out thinner gasket areas and make it's way through. Some of those who switched back to regular dino oil reported the weeping stopped.

Has anyone with a weep tried switching back to dino oil, and if so did the leaks stop?

Paniolo

Interesting twist.

When I came back from my Arizona run, the weeping had soiled the base and sides of the engine case. Once again not a leak, but a weep.

So I took to cleaning it with a new toothbrush and WD40. I would spray the WD on the stain and along the base, and brush it. Then I wiped it off with a clean rag. I have been unable to get ALL of the stain out, so if anyone has an idea how to clean a silver engine please let me know.

Interestingly the engine has not wiped since. I have checked the area after daily rides, and it is not weeping. I wonder if the WD40 had something to do with it.

Hossamania

Are you sure it's not weeping from the air cleaner and blowing down and around?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Paniolo

Quote from: Hossamania on June 02, 2019, 10:23:10 AM

No Hoss, it's coming from the base area, and between the cylinders.

Hossamania

June 02, 2019, 10:59:31 AM #64 Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 04:17:56 PM by FSG
Quote from: Paniolo on June 02, 2019, 10:38:31 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on June 02, 2019, 10:23:10 AM

No Hoss, it's coming from the base area, and between the cylinders.

Copy.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.