May 06, 2024, 06:39:23 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Fuel Gauge Sending Unit

Started by egstandard, April 28, 2019, 03:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

egstandard

I'm going to replace sending unit on 04 carbureted flht. I get a little nervous about opening up that fuel tank. Any tips for safe removal and installation?

road-dawgs1

Easier to remove and install than the units on the injected ones. Place rags on tank so you don't scratch or damage the tank. Unhook wires carefully. Use new top gasket and sealing screws. Look how float is installed in the tank prior to/as you're taking it out so you position it the right way on install. Relatively easy job to do.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

FSG

QuoteUse new top gasket and sealing screws.

:agree:  totally

egstandard

I have the new screws and gasket. What about fumes, static electricity, a possible spark pulling it out? I would assume unhooking the battery would be a good idea.

rbabos

Quote from: egstandard on April 28, 2019, 04:57:48 PM
I have the new screws and gasket. What about fumes, static electricity, a possible spark pulling it out? I would assume unhooking the battery would be a good idea.
You could ground the bike frame but unless you are wearing pantyhose, don't think it will be an issue.
Ron

road-dawgs1

Quote from: rbabos on April 28, 2019, 05:39:42 PM
You could ground the bike frame but unless you are wearing pantyhose, don't think it will be an issue.
Ron

Somehow I get the feeling, preach is gonna show up in this thread soon!  :nix:
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

Jim Bronson

waiting, waiting, waiting ...
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

smoserx1

QuoteWhat about fumes, static electricity, a possible spark pulling it out? I would assume unhooking the battery would be a good idea.

I have changed mine out several times now (they seem to last about 50K).  Anyway, obviously don't smoke but other than that you should be fine.  Also a fairly full tank is better from the fume standpoint, but you don't want it so full you get a spill when you pull it out.  And yes the battery disconnected is always a good idea.  The float part goes on the left side of the tank.  You have to rotate the sending unit a little when removing/installing, but not much...it is pretty easy.  last time I did mine the gasket was already installed on the new unit, and it was better than the gasket I bought (rubber vs fiber).

egstandard

Thanks guys. Sending unit will be here Thursday and I'll get after it.

egstandard

It's in and working. Thanks guys!