May 07, 2024, 10:23:18 AM

News:

valve train noise

Started by roadkingdresser, April 18, 2019, 12:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

I got a 10 Roadking with a stage 4 kit 103. Had to change one of the lifters some time ago. I put the s&s premiums with the hl2ts. Took the perfect fit pushrods out and used the s/e adjustables. Have adjusted the pushrods quite a few times and still seems like there is a lot of top end chatter. Just put the rocker lockers in and didn't change. Would  I be better to use the perfect fit rods or no?
roadkingdresser

Ohio HD

How are you adjusting the valves?

What you should do with limiters is adjust the push rod until the lifter plunger bottoms. How you know this is finally once the valve opens under the push rod adjustment, and doesn't ever bleed off, then the lifter is at bottom. Then slowly loosen the adjustment until you just have a slight amount of play, push rod spins in fingers. Then loosen the adjustment nut by 3 to 5 flats maximum. Lock it down. Do the other three. This of course with each lobe at full valve close.

jsachs1

Sometimes with travel limiters it takes several miles for the lifters to quiet down. I bottom the lifter out(compression stroke), and loosen a half turn. :wink:
John

roadkingdresser

Well supposed to be stormy here tomorrow. So i'm goin to adjust them like Ohio said and try that. I've adjusted them a couple times but I've never bottomed the lifter clear done. Usually take all the play out and go 4 flats, and someone else said to only go 3 flats. Neither works.I don't remember them making that much rattle before I changed the lifters and pushrods. THANKS.
roadkingdresser

roadkingdresser

WHAT I MEANT WAS 4 TURNS OR 3 TURNS NOT FLATS.

roadkingdresser

Ohio HD

roadkingdresser

Thanks for the info. not sure when the next ride will be with the weather but i'll get back to you.
roadkingdresser