1157 Switchback LEDs and 1156 Red LEDs for Harley Bullet Turn Signals

Started by Rusticwater, April 26, 2019, 05:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusticwater

Just got these, going to be evaluating them on my 2010 Dyna over the next day or so if anyone has any questions. Just testing them in the workroom for general impressions before I settle on what to install long term. All of these are available on Amazon.
You cannot see attachments on this board.

Here's a closeup of the switchback LEDs next to a standard Sylvania amber 1157:

Here's a closeup of the red 1156 LEDs for the rear turn signals:

FWIW I use a Biketronics BT300 module to provide running/stop light/turn signal functionality for the rear bullet turn signals.
Support the Maine lobster industry

Rusticwater

This style of 1156 and 1157 LEDs will not insert into the bullet turn signals. The heat sink just above the base prevents the bulb from inserting enough for the twist lock to engage. And no, I'm not about to drill the sockets out for clearance to accommodate poorly designed items advertised as direct replacements...

Hossamania

What about a Dremel with a small grinding wheel or stone to clearance the base in the housing so that the bulb can seat deeper? I know you aren't going to do it, but in a pinch, I would probably give it a try.
Then I would go buy a new turn signal to replace my f up.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

14Frisco

Quote from: Hossamania on April 26, 2019, 11:46:55 AM
What about a Dremel with a small grinding wheel or stone to clearance the base in the housing ...

Or use the Dremel on the heat sink on the bulb...

Cozz

Interested to see the red bulbs in action. The switchbacks are great. I just put them in mine. Big Bang for the buck.
2004 Electraglide Ultra Classic

92flhtcu

Or a guy could just pony up a few more bucks and get some that are made for motorcycles and not have to dick around with it.
Need a bigger garage

Deye76

Quote from: 92flhtcu on April 27, 2019, 05:33:23 AM
Or a guy could just pony up a few more bucks and get some that are made for motorcycles and not have to dick around with it.

Is there a difference? If a bike takes 1156 what other mc only fit?  :scratch:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Rusticwater

Quote from: Cozz on April 26, 2019, 03:53:42 PM
Interested to see the red bulbs in action. The switchbacks are great. I just put them in mine. Big Bang for the buck.
The one 1156 set I was able to try looks stunning with my BAL-1. I would post a photo but my photographic skills wouldn't do it justice. I've been using red Autogem glass lenses with standard (white) 1156 incandescent bulbs for years with great results, the red LEDs takes it to another level...and the response time is quicker.

FWIW I've been researching the whole aspect of LED motorcycle lighting for years, ever since I originally got the BAL-1 in 2011. I was one of the early users of the Harley branded JW Speaker LED headlight (73273-11) which was recalled because of condensation issues and replaced with the 73273-11A. That replacement lasted less than 2 weeks for me when it internally shorted out and blew my light fuse mid-ride when I was down south of Sedalia by the Tomah road. So the incandescent headlight bulb went back in.

In 2013 after a near death experience in Houston (the BAL saved my life) I decided to add the Biketronics BT300 run/stop/brake module and convert my rear turn signals to running lights (normally on a Dyna they're off until you actually signal a turn). That's when I added the red Autogem glass lenses that have a special design that really increases visibility.

At that time I also tried the Radiantz circular LED lights, unfortunately they wouldn't fit properly under the Autogem lenses. So I stuck with incandescents.

Fast forward 6 years and now with the switchback LED technology becoming a standard in the automotive world I've decided to revisit LED turn signals again. So far I'm thrilled with the switchback bulbs. I've been toying with the idea of adding forward running lights over the last couple of years, have evaluated options, pricing, hassle of mounting, wiring, etc. But now I have that for half the price of a decent bottle of single malt scotch.

92flhtcu

Deye-just meant with all the Amazon LED's out there, that there are MC parts companies making them for a bit more money, that's all. I just got back on the 'puter when I saw Rustic hwas just showing the one style did not fit. Just trying to help the brick and mortar guys that are in the industry.
Need a bigger garage

Deye76

Quote from: 92flhtcu on April 27, 2019, 10:45:57 AM
Deye-just meant with all the Amazon LED's out there, that there are MC parts companies making them for a bit more money, that's all. I just got back on the 'puter when I saw Rustic hwas just showing the one style did not fit. Just trying to help the brick and mortar guys that are in the industry.

:up:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP