April 27, 2024, 05:36:11 PM

News:

Wrong Pushrods - did I mess up?

Started by chris.m.j, April 24, 2019, 08:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris.m.j

If I installed too long of pushrod and then tightened the rocker plate to spec did I mess any other parts up?

I didn't turn the engine over or anything. Just installed some pushrods that were about a 1/4" too long and tightened the rocker plate to 20 ft-lbs. Do I need to replace the hydraulic lifters now or check the cams or anything?

I assume everything is fine cuz the valve spring would absorb the force, right?

Scotty

I would say if you did not turn the motor over then the lifter would have just been more compressed and if that bottomed out which I doubt then the valve would be forced open. I would just correct the mistake making sure the pushrod is still straight (just in case) and carry on.
Don't forget to let the lifters bleed down before rolling the motor over when you do put the correct ones in.

prodrag1320

only thing to worry about is if there was valve to piston or valve to valve contact.before installing the correct p/rods,do a compression test or better yet a leak down

les

Quote from: prodrag1320 on April 25, 2019, 03:48:18 AM
only thing to worry about is if there was valve to piston or valve to valve contact.before installing the correct p/rods,do a compression test or better yet a leak down

Agreed.  Do a leak down and you'll know immediately if you've messed with your valves.