April 30, 2024, 05:48:28 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Need Grudgebox gear ratios for PV

Started by Kllongbrake, May 24, 2019, 06:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kllongbrake

Can't get my cruise or 6th gear light to work with Baker supplied numbers. 2013 FLTRX. Finished my 124" and Grudgbox and tried the supplied numbers but no go. Have searched and searched and tried every set of numbers I could find. Rockout's DD7 numbers gave me cruise in 4th, 5th and 6th but no 6th gear light and the bike is not calculating what gear it's in....not correctly anyhow. Sometimes in 4th it actually goes to "0" gear.
Anyone else have this issue with the Grudgebox and found the correct ratio numbers? Haven't had a good chance to call Baker yet.  No problem with the bike mechanically. The VSS and tach are functioning properly and no DTC's. TIA!

Pirsch Fire Wagon

1st – 3.20
2nd – 2.21
3rd – 1.61
4th – 1.27
5th – 1.00
6th – 0.92
Tom

Ohio HD

Quote from: Kllongbrake on May 24, 2019, 06:08:47 PM
Can't get my cruise or 6th gear light to work with Baker supplied numbers. 2013 FLTRX. Finished my 124" and Grudgbox and tried the supplied numbers but no go. Have searched and searched and tried every set of numbers I could find. Rockout's DD7 numbers gave me cruise in 4th, 5th and 6th but no 6th gear light and the bike is not calculating what gear it's in....not correctly anyhow. Sometimes in 4th it actually goes to "0" gear.
Anyone else have this issue with the Grudgebox and found the correct ratio numbers? Haven't had a good chance to call Baker yet.  No problem with the bike mechanically. The VSS and tach are functioning properly and no DTC's. TIA!

Kris, the link I sent to the other day was not the one I wanted to send. What I meant to send was this one from Joe Lyons.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=105065.msg1295549#msg1295549

It has his spread sheet for calculating the transmission values based on three things.

(1) The new transmission ratios
(2) The old transmission ratios
(3) The ratios listed originally in the MAP being used
(4) New ratios are then calculated for the MAP

If you don't have Excel software, send me the original MAP ratios and I'll run this in Joe's tool.

[attach=0] 

Ohio HD

Try either of these Kris, not sure what your original MAP numbers are.

1st Gear   0.22450
2nd Gear   0.32469
3rd Gear   0.44632
4th Gear   0.56377
5th Gear   0.71799
6th Gear   0.78001

or

1st Gear   0.22470
2nd Gear   0.32328
3rd Gear   0.44374
4th Gear   0.57189
5th Gear   0.71803
6th Gear   0.78001

Kllongbrake

Thanks Ohio, I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Ohio HD

Post your original numbers from the PV MAP.

HighLiner

Do you have the street or strip GrudgeBox?

kd

Quote from: HighLiner on May 25, 2019, 09:58:28 PM
Do you have the street or strip GrudgeBox?

Only one type of GrudgeBox offered now.
KD

Kllongbrake

Kllongbrake

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 25, 2019, 09:47:41 PM
That first set worked perfectly. Reads all the gears correctly and the cruise works. Thank you. Appreciate the help. 

Ohio HD

Quote from: Kllongbrake on May 26, 2019, 04:32:15 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on May 25, 2019, 09:47:41 PM
That first set worked perfectly. Reads all the gears correctly and the cruise works. Thank you. Appreciate the help.

Joe Lyons is the man, he supplied the tools to make generate the new numbers.    :up:

kd

KD

Ohio HD

I would think yes they will, if you have of course the newer calibrations that use the Xmiss Gear Ratios table.

Joe can answer that factually for us. 

[attach=0]

kd

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 26, 2019, 06:17:17 PM
I would think yes they will, if you have of course the newer calibrations that use the Xmiss Gear Ratios table.

[attach=0]

That chart shows 1:1 6th gear and the GrudgeBox 6th is overdrive.  I am asking because I have to go back on the drum to retune my Burns pipe since adding a stinger with 4" SuperTrapp discs (and get the gear ratios corrected for obvious reasons).  It would be nice to know or have the info before hand in case there are problems dialing it in.  I have to drive 10 hrs minimum for a tune and it's  nice when things work out and there are no extra nights in a hotel.   :crook:
KD

Ohio HD

Quote from: kd on May 26, 2019, 06:45:56 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on May 26, 2019, 06:17:17 PM

[attach=0,msg1299190]

That chart shows 1:1 6th gear and the GrudgeBox 6th is overdrive.  I am asking because I have to go back on the drum to retune my Burns pipe since adding a stinger with 4" SuperTrapp discs (and get the gear ratios corrected for obvious reasons).  It would be nice to know or have the info before hand in case there are problems dialing it in.  I have to drive 10 hrs minimum for a tune and it's  nice when things work out and there are no extra nights in a hotel.   :crook:

Joe sees this he'll answer us. The tables below, OEM six speed and GB ratios. Neither match what's in the TTS table. So TTS isn't using the actual ratio numbers, as well PV doesn't.

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

Ohio HD

Once Joe verifies, then this is probably the new numbers.

[attach=0,msg1299192]

kd

Thanks Brian (and Joe).  At this point this stuff is all Latin to me and way over my head.  It's sure nice to have someone that gets it helping out.
KD

Ohio HD

May 26, 2019, 07:14:54 PM #17 Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 07:19:48 PM by Ohio HD
If you have the older calibrations, then you probably just need to change the primary ratio from 1.353 to 1.245. Just depends on the year of the bike and the calibration it uses.

Added:
But if you have the 49 tooth clutch basket, and the older ECM calibration, you maybe change the primary ratio from 1.440 to 1.326.  A few variables to consider.

kd

May 26, 2019, 07:23:22 PM #18 Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 07:31:02 PM by kd
My primary ratio is already changed for the 49 tooth EVO basket.  (The secondary ratio is different too.)   I suppose it's just math but the ratio spacing is different between the gears from the OEM 2011 6 spd also.

How did you deal with yours?  You're using TTS too aren't you?
KD

Ohio HD

If you've a 2011, it doesn't have the Xmiss ratio tables in the MAP. So you only change the primary ratio.

2011 OEM six speed - 46 tooth = 1.353
2011 OEM six speed - 49 tooth = 1.440
2011 GB six speed - 49 tooth =  1.325

I don't have cruise, so all I need is the 6th gear light. So I use 1.325 with my 49 tooth basket. I "assume" this will take care of the cruise on bikes that have it.

Joe Lyons or Steve Gougeon can probably verify this for cruise.

[attach=0,msg1299202]

kd

I'll wait to hear if one of those fellas chime in.  I have cruise so I suppose it will have to have the other gears calculated to so the ECM will engage it in those gears too.  It's good to know the 1.325 got your 6th gear light on.  This is one of the things I wanted to discuss with you a while back but needed to understand it better so I knew what to ask.  I think I'm starting to get it A BIT now though.
KD

Ohio HD

I haven't put mine in yet, and may not until later this year. My window of opportunity was over winter, their shipping it three months late put me into a time where I have other projects to take care of for the home now that the weather is warm.

But the primary ratio will always correct the sixth gear light.

You're 2011 calibration and the 2011 ECM does not have modifiable tables for gearing. They showed up around 2015. That's why I say these guys that have tuned TTS and Baker transmissions with alternate ratios and cruise control will have to weigh in on it.

The only transmission related option on your MAP is OEM six speed or Baker seven speed. That's why I say the primary gearing changes will hopefully work for the cruise.

[attach=0]

HighLiner

Somewhere I posted the numbers for the "strip" Grudgebox.  The cruise and speedo are spot on!

Kllongbrake

Quote from: HighLiner on May 27, 2019, 03:32:29 PM
Somewhere I posted the numbers for the "strip" Grudgebox.  The cruise and speedo are spot on!
You did and I found those and tried them before I posted but I only got cruise in 4,5,6 but no 6th gear light. Not sure why some numbers work for some bikes and others need a different set of numbers. Your numbers were very close to the ones that worked for me.