Is it possible to buy a Mustang backrest without the mounting bracket?

Started by SixShooter14, May 06, 2019, 07:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixShooter14

Howdy folks, I sent an email to Mustang on Friday, but haven't heard back yet. I figured I'd ask here as well, one of y'all might know.

I already have the mounting bracket/clamp and a pass-through Mustang touring seat. I'm just missing the actual backrest bar and pad.

Do I just need to buy a new kit, or is it possible to get a replacement rest, sans-bracket?

TIA
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Boe Cole

I had a pass through Mustang seat on an older bike with a backrest.   As i recall, the mounting was HD and so was the back rest.  I do not recall them being a 'kit' so you should be able to go to HD and only get the backrest, unless you want a Mustang backrest.  Check their website to see if they come separately.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

SixShooter14

Quote from: Boe Cole on May 06, 2019, 09:10:37 AM
I had a pass through Mustang seat on an older bike with a backrest.   As i recall, the mounting was HD and so was the back rest.  I do not recall them being a 'kit' so you should be able to go to HD and only get the backrest, unless you want a Mustang backrest.  Check their website to see if they come separately.
Thanks, I checked the Mustang site and it's all sold as kits.

I'm not sure the brand of bracket I have, but I'll give a look at the HD rests. I don't really have a preference.

SixShooter14

Hossamania

That looks to be a Mustang bracket, as your link to the backrest shows. Harley brackets are much different.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

SixShooter14

Quote from: Hossamania on May 06, 2019, 10:21:30 AM
That looks to be a Mustang bracket, as your link to the backrest shows. Harley brackets are much different.
Yeah, as much as I hate to, I may end up ordering the pad and post from Amazon and just returning if it doesn't sit right.  :nix:

Edit: the backrest only is about $200, the kit is $230ish....I may just order the kit and maybe try to sell the extra bracket.

Jim Bronson

At least some Mustang touring seats come with backrest receptacles built in, so the backrest alone will be shown as an accessory for the seat.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

SixShooter14

Well, I just went ahead and ordered the kit. It's only $35 more than the few "pad and post" rests I found...I spent more time searching for it than I would have saved buying just the pad...Oh well, I reckon I'll use the bracket for something.

Jim Bronson

SixShooter14

92flhtcu

The Mustang Brackets use the Mustang Backrest(we call them Lollipop Backrest) The rearward side of your bracket will tell you if it can use the Lollipop style or if you need to use the HD style
Need a bigger garage

Jim Bronson

SixShooter14

Nastytls

I have a mustang seat on my RG and I recently purchased the Mustang backrest for it. I didn't order a special seat, it came with the mount already in there and I didn't order a special backrest, it was just their standard backrest. You can find it online in the Drag Specialties catalog.

SixShooter14

Quote from: Nastytls on May 07, 2019, 04:24:50 AM
I have a mustang seat on my RG and I recently purchased the Mustang backrest for it. I didn't order a special seat, it came with the mount already in there and I didn't order a special backrest, it was just their standard backrest. You can find it online in the Drag Specialties catalog.
for what year? From what I can tell, the 08+ touring seats have the bracket attached to the seat. 97-07 the seat has the pass-through hole and there's a separate bracket underneath.

SixShooter14

I talked to Rebecca from Mustang, she said they can sell the pad/post only. But there is no part number so it would be a special order over the phone. Lead time of 2-4 weeks and cost $175 + shipping.

I'm just going to stick with the kit and sell/horde the additional bracket.

Nastytls

Quote from: SixShooter14 on May 07, 2019, 06:09:12 AM
Quote from: Nastytls on May 07, 2019, 04:24:50 AM
for what year? From what I can tell, the 08+ touring seats have the bracket attached to the seat. 97-07 the seat has the pass-through hole and there's a separate bracket underneath.

My bike is an 18

92flhtcu

08 through 2019, onlt the Mustang Standard Touring seat comes with the hole in the base plate to use the HD or Mustang Backrest kit, the other touring seats for that generation, the backrest receptacle is built into the seat.

97 though 2007 there are a few more models with the hole in baseplate.

The Harley backrest bracket will not accept the Mustang lollipop style backrest, only HD's backrest
Need a bigger garage

SixShooter14

The saga is over....I received my new backrest kit yesterday and the sun was breaking through today so I threw it on.

Like a fool, I though I could just reuse my old bracket as it was already bolted to the frame and fender, but no....The old bracket was missing the ball-point set screw that sets the rest elevation. No problem, the new bracket came with a nice, new screw......Uhh, but it's a size bigger and won't fit the old bracket hole.  :doh:

So, I tear off the old bracket and of course drop those 2 little key-nuts that go under the fender..... a little duct tape and I get them back up in there and bolt it down....throw the seat back on and slide the rest in (I don't have a chair or bike lift here, so I've spent nearly an hour hunched over this bike) My already bad back is screaming something awful. So I swing my leg over and AAAHHHHHH!!!!! success, the rest is perfect. I didn't want to get up  :pop:  :up:

Edit: and now that it's done, it seems every webpage has ads for Mustang seats and backrests....SMDH

Jim Bronson

I'm glad it worked out for you. I never ride without my Mustang backrest on the stock seat. I really like that it folds flat for getting on and off.