May 03, 2024, 09:44:33 AM

News:

Power commanders overated?

Started by Mac1, May 30, 2019, 12:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac1

I installed a PC III on my 01 softail which has had several performance improvements. I matched those and downloaded the correct map then took it out for a 200 mile spin. I have to say i was underwhelmed by the "improvement". I am the only one who thinks this? Maybe i was expecting more bang for my buck than is reasonable?

thirdjld

I had a PCV installed on an '08 fatbob with a canned map at the same time a cam, 2-1, AC were put on and it was a marked improvement. When I had it Dyno tuned it stepped up again in numbers and seat of the pants performance.

John
It is not the critic who counts;The credit goes to the man who is in the arena

rigidthumper

Any idea if the ECM was ever calibrated to the components on the bike (tuned)?
Adding a PC only modifies the signals to/from the ECM, and when done properly, will reveal the true potential of a build.
How are you measuring the results?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Mac1

I am pretty sure the ecm was calibrated to accomodate cams, big bore and filter and slip ons. I am measuring by feel.

aswracing

A piggy-back tuner is a terrible way to tune a motorcycle, in my opinion.

1workinman

Quote from: Mac1 on May 30, 2019, 12:33:56 AM
I installed a PC III on my 01 softail which has had several performance improvements. I matched those and downloaded the correct map then took it out for a 200 mile spin. I have to say i was underwhelmed by the "improvement". I am the only one who thinks this? Maybe i was expecting more bang for my buck than is reasonable?
I don't know a lot about tuning , I just take the bike to a person I trust to tune it and they use what they prefer . In my case I use Steve at GMR and I think  the TTS is what is used .  I think that a base load map is used to start with . I may be wrong here but I want the engine to be tuned with the proper fuel maps and timing . To prevent over rich or lean and damage motor. 

Rsw

+1 on Steve one of the best out there!!

Ohio HD

Although Steve is at the top of the game, the OP lives in the UK, so maybe a little far for him to travel.

Barrett

The tune might not have been that far off to begin with.
Does it feel smoother or run cooler?

Rsw

Quote from: Ohio HD on June 01, 2019, 10:23:32 AM
Although Steve is at the top of the game, the OP lives in the UK, so maybe a little far for him to travel.
If there's a will there's a way. Ha ha

Ohio HD

I don't know where in the UK you are, but there's a guy on the board here, powerglides, he's in Maidstone England. Brian can get that dialed right in for you.

Mac1

I would like to think that the original tune was well done. I think the only real difference was slightly more responsive at low end and possibly a bit lean on high end. Either way i have taken it off for now.

Thanks for all the replies.

rigidthumper

Quote from: Mac1 on June 02, 2019, 01:22:16 AM
I would like to think that the original tune was well done. I think the only real difference was slightly more responsive at low end and possibly a bit lean on high end. Either way i have taken it off for now.

Thanks for all the replies.
That makes sense- if the ECM was tuned (calibrated for the changes made), adding the PC later will typically not improve things.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Mac1

Well I took the pc off and the bike seemed a little rough so maybe I was wrong all along. Even got a bit of splutter when I opened up between 4th and 5th. I thought at first maybe the ecm has been confused by me changing back and forth. I think the top and bottom of it is, Yes it made a difference but I think I was expecting more and just need to acknowledge that a bit more responsiveness and smoother fuel delivery is what it's about.

BVHOG

Why is this even a discussion? the power commander is old technology and old news and if  you have not even tried to actually tune it then you have no way of knowing if it is helping or hurting but I have a pretty good idea of which one it's doing.  Get with a tuner and some up to date technology and get your bike mapped so you are actually making use of the hard parts.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

yobtaf103

yobtaf103

Quote from: Ohio HD on June 01, 2019, 02:04:38 PM

I don't know where in the UK you are, but there's a guy on the board here, powerglides, he's in Maidstone England. Brian can get that dialed right in for you.

Boz tunes @ V-Twin Custom Cycles Rye, iirc