April 27, 2024, 06:56:19 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Tapered wheel bearing install

Started by fbn ent, May 22, 2019, 01:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbn ent

Have to install a set of tapered bearings after a friend burned his wheel up and was given a looks to be good replacement.

I have the race tool and have always just pounded them out and in but have been wondering if anyone has heated the wheel and frozen the races to install the like we did on the mining equipment.

Should work but thought I'd run it past youse guys.

I do not have a press big enough to handle the rim.....
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

rredneckn2

I always put the races in the freezer an hour or so before install. Makes it easier on the wheel and the tool.
If you don't like what I say DONT read it

fbn ent

Yeah, I do that too. Was really wondering about heating the bore b4 install. BTW aluminum mag.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

I would NOT heat Aluminum. Unlike Steel, Aluminum has a Memory. Once heated to a temperature it remains weakened.
Tom

fbn ent

THAT is what has been niggling at me when I consider it. Thanks!

Norton Commando

You can heat aluminum without degrading the alloy.  I've heated Norton engine cases and gearbox cases many times when removing bearings.  I always keep temps less than 375F. For your wheel, I would simply use a heat gun, not a torch.  Heat the area around the race preparation for several minutes, quickly remove the races from the freezer and then drop them right in.
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

FSG

heat gun (wifeys hair dryer) and the freezer,

hell with the early TC Camplates I used the gas-top stove and the freezer

to remove the race from a wheel just run a bead of weld around it and turn the wheel over,

the race will cool, shrink and drop out

fbn ent

Norton Commando

Quote from: FSG on May 22, 2019, 04:50:20 PM

to remove the race from a wheel just run a bead of weld around it and turn the wheel over, the race will cool, shrink and drop out

Indeed, all you need are about three equally spaced tacks and the race will fall right out.
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

fbn ent

:down: and 2  :up:  ............... Sounds like a go!

rredneckn2

Quote from: FSG on May 22, 2019, 04:50:20 PM
heat gun (wifeys hair dryer) and the freezer,

hell with the early TC Camplates I used the gas-top stove and the freezer

to remove the race from a wheel just run a bead of weld around it and turn the wheel over,

the race will cool, shrink and drop out
I agree for ez removal on steel or aluminum hubs a painless operation. The mig makes life easy especially if you can't touch the race with a punch.
If you don't like what I say DONT read it