May 02, 2024, 12:11:33 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

OEM speedo is blank nothing works on the speedo only. Replacing says NO SPD!!!!

Started by homesculptor, August 22, 2019, 06:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

homesculptor

Okay, so the speedo crashed after washing the bike. A fuse went, I fixed the fuse, and everything back in order but the speedometer. So I bought the combo. I did the process, turned on engine run button, then ignition after plugging new speedo into the Data Link. I got No CAL then that goes off and NO SPD comes on.

What the hey! Anybody know about this?

rigidthumper

It's reporting NOSPD because the old speedo isn't responding. The transfer is looking for speedometer data, so the old speedo must be hooked up and reading to transfer.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

homesculptor

Okay, I get that. I didn't upgrade from a working speedometer. Mine fried, so I bought this new one. I told them it fried, and they said follow the instructions and it will install. I found that it will not, even though I left the old broken one in the console. The instructions say to set switch to accy. and I did, but they want you to write down the numbers. But in my case doing this is redundant, as the speedo is not alive.

Then you put the data link together, turn on engine start button, and turn on ignition. When I do, it goes to NO CAL following NO SPD.

I am in a conundrum. What has to be done to get this to work if the speedo is dead an not reviveable? There has to be someone that can tell me the process. Harley has to have a work around on this.

Coyote

homesculptor

Okay, so that's obvious, I'm wondering what the fix is, I already know the problem. It seems nobody in the whole entire universe is able to come up with a cure for this issue. Here's the issue again

Issue: = broke none functioning totally dead speedo

ECM thinks there is no speedo, so there is NO SPD

What is the solution at this point?

Quote from: homesculptor on August 24, 2019, 03:12:49 PM
Okay, I get that. I didn't upgrade from a working speedometer. Mine fried, so I bought this new one. I told them it fried, and they said follow the instructions and it will install. I found that it will not, even though I left the old broken one in the console. The instructions say to set switch to accy. and I did, but they want you to write down the numbers. But in my case doing this is redundant, as the speedo is not alive.

Then you put the data link together, turn on engine start button, and turn on ignition. When I do, it goes to NO CAL following NO SPD.

I am in a conundrum. What has to be done to get this to work if the speedo is dead an not reviveable? There has to be someone that can tell me the process. Harley has to have a work around on this.

homesculptor

I"m thinking buying a used OEM Or new one will require that it be synced to the actual mileage. I could do that and still be in the same sinking boat.

Quote from: homesculptor on August 24, 2019, 05:37:55 PM
Okay, so that's obvious, I'm wondering what the fix is, I already know the problem. It seems nobody in the whole entire universe is able to come up with a cure for this issue. Here's the issue again

Issue: = broke none functioning totally dead speedo

ECM thinks there is no speedo, so there is NO SPD

What is the solution at this point?

Coyote

The OEM one requires no sync.  Just give them the mileage when you order it

FSG

Quote from: Coyote on August 24, 2019, 08:55:35 PM
The OEM one requires no sync.  Just give them the mileage when you order it

Keith there's no need for that

..... I didn't upgrade from a working speedometer. Mine fried, so I bought this new one. I told them it fried, and they said follow the instructions and it will install.  ........

they speak with forked tongue

....  But in my case doing this is redundant, as the speedo is not alive. ....

then there's no point continuing because you're not going to get anywhere, as I said in a post on your other thread "take the bike and the speedo both old and new back to your dealer and have them enter the old mileage into the new speedo"   take the instructions with you and wave them under their noses