April 18, 2024, 03:27:20 AM

News:

Overfill primary

Started by tbird, May 18, 2019, 10:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaos901

To each his own.  But I'm curious as to where you came up with the 48 oz., I had a 2007 Ultra and I don't remember the SM saying to put in near that much fluid back when I used to measure.   
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Coyote

Quote from: chico on June 30, 2020, 12:44:43 PM
I have a 2007 se ultra and have run 48 oz of harley primary fluid in it since day 1 on my fluid changes.
No problem finding neutral and no clutch drag. Maybe you guys using fluid other the the hd stuff is causing your problems.

48 oz is way too much for a service change. Manual calls for 38oz but a quart will work fine.

kd

I am absolutely amazed that you are not having a dragging clutch issue with 48 oz's.  Are you sure on that measure? 
KD

Ridgerunner

Quote from: kd on June 30, 2020, 06:57:01 PM
I am absolutely amazed that you are not having a dragging clutch issue with 48 oz's.  Are you sure on that measure? 

I have always followed the manual on how much fluid in the primary. That is until I saw the picture in Post #19. On my 07 Roadglide the level was as shown following the manual, but when I got my '13 RoadKing to get it up to the clutch basket as shown in that diagram it takes 48 ozs. I have done this since new.
2013 RKC 44,300 miles original compensator. Easy into neutral and no dragging I am aware of.

chico

Quote from: kd on June 30, 2020, 06:57:01 PM

Positive on that amount , 1 full and another 1/2 qt. Have to stand bike up, straight to fill it. Bike has 75000 miles, original clutch, first new version of the se comp. 117 hp 126tq. My feeling is the comp needs the extra fluid to lube it properly. A little extra fluid does good, but Harley can save lots of money by convincing everybody that 1 qt is all that's needed. I used that amount because that's what my 94 bagger fill was and never had clutch issues with that bike either.

cheech

Quote from: Ridgerunner on July 01, 2020, 05:49:24 AM

I have always followed the manual on how much fluid in the primary. That is until I saw the picture in Post #19. On my 07 Roadglide the level was as shown following the manual, but when I got my '13 RoadKing to get it up to the clutch basket as shown in that diagram it takes 48 ozs. I have done this since new.
2013 RKC 44,300 miles original compensator. Easy into neutral and no dragging I am aware of.
Your 13 has a different comp vs the 07 for one.

Everyone overfilling and having no issues.  :idunno: That's good I guess.

Reason for the post though is everyone referring to that level pic. I've seen it in the SM, but only pertaining to the 06 down.
I have a 07 Softail SM, 09 Touring SM, 09 Dyna SM, and a 15 Touring SM opened up.
I can't find that level reference figure in any of them.  :nix:

So why are people referring to that image when it may not be pertinent to their year bike?

kd

You may not see that pair of pics but the first one is there and you can clearly see the oil level up to the rim of the basket as described in the 2nd pic.  There is also a bold print warning about over filling the primary.   :nix:
KD

Ridgerunner

I don't feel as though I overfill my Roadking as the level is exactly as shown in that diagram.
When I drop the old fluid I let it drain overnight and fill the next day. Maybe the extended drain is closer to a dry fill rather than a wet fill. I don't know, but running it lower than shown doesn't seem like a good option to me since I don't have any symptoms mentioned.

jmorton10

When I installed my Bandit clutch it said to use 14 oz of primary fluid.

That sure seemed like a small amount, but I figured I might as well try it.

I have a solid engine sprocket so I wasn't worried about lubing a compensator & a Baker Grudgebox.  I put in 14oz of Spectro primary oil & it shifts better than any other Harley I have ever ridden. I could reach down & put it into neutral at a red light with two fingers if I wanted to.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

JW113

July 05, 2020, 11:35:15 AM #34 Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 12:39:33 AM by FSG
So, taking the clutch pack out and washing the parts with solvent did indeed help. A lot. It still has more of a 'klunk' going from neutral to 1st than my TC Road Glide, which is odd to me. But better than before, and the shifting is back to what I consider normal.

I put 24oz of fluid in the primary, it just barely touches the clutch basket. It is really hard to see down in there, have to use a flashlight to see the fluid level. Not clear to me how you could make some sort of dipstick, there is essentially no room between the clutch and outer primary.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

PoorUB

I sorta get a kick out of the primary lube level. some guys take the service manual as a bible, it is says 38 ounces, then put in 38, no consideration for what or why. Me? I dump a quart in it and run it. If there is enough lube for the ring gear and chain to sling it around it is probably enough.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

98fxstc

Quote from: JW113 on July 05, 2020, 11:35:15 AM
So, taking the clutch pack out and washing the parts with solvent did indeed help. A lot. It still has more of a 'klunk' going from neutral to 1st than my TC Road Glide, which is odd to me. But better than before, and the shifting is back to what I consider normal.

I put 24oz of fluid in the primary, it just barely touches the clutch basket. It is really hard to see down in there, have to use a flashlight to see the fluid level. Not clear to me how you could make some sort of dipstick, there is essentially no room between the clutch and outer primary.

[attach=0,msg1353661]

-JW

Go back and have a look at reply 21

98fxstc

get a strip of cardboard similar in shape to a hacksaw blade
mark the outside diameter of clutch plates on it, or centre of clutch to outside of clutch plates. and check oil level as it nears fill level by referencing against clutch pack