May 06, 2024, 10:00:01 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Avon Cobra vs Cobra Chrome?

Started by skunk, May 23, 2019, 08:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skunk

I was checking some of the regular tire sites looking for the Cobras but it seams that I am finding limited availability/sizing? Is this just a fluke or have the Cobras been discontinued and replaced with the Chrome? For those of you that have run the Cobra Chrome what are your thoughts on them compaired to the Cobras? I have been happy with the grip and feedback of the Cobras on the bagger.

Nastytls

My understanding from reading the Avon site was the Chrome is a replacement for the Cobra.

Kllongbrake

Been using cobras for years on my RG. Just put cobra chrome on due to no cobras available anywhere. Only 60 miles so far breaking in the 124" but haven't noticed a difference yet. They still feel like they grip like the previous gen cobras.

calif phil

Avon told me the Chrome has a larger footprint, longer wearing and the same grip.   I would do the Chrome if I had the choice between them and the old Cobras.

borno

Ouch! $167 vs. $204 for the chrome. I better order one for the rear soon!

Hossamania

Quote from: borno on May 24, 2019, 07:34:13 AM

Having fun isn't cheap!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

SixShooter14

Quote from: Hossamania on May 24, 2019, 11:16:42 AM
Quote from: borno on May 24, 2019, 07:34:13 AM

Having fun isn't cheap!
Yup, mine's at the shop getting American Elites put on....I didn't even ask what they cost.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Hossamania

No, I don't either, just put them on.
My wife is fiscally frugal, but she said early on, if you need tires or brakes, just get them.
Horsepower needs are discussed much more intensely.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

SixShooter14

Quote from: Hossamania on May 24, 2019, 11:26:11 AM
No, I don't either, just put them on.
My wife is fiscally frugal, but she said early on, if you need tires or brakes, just get them.
Horsepower needs are discussed much more intensely.
they're checking the brakes too, and all the fluids. Figured if I've gotta leave it for the tires, they might as well do the rest.

Then of course they don't have the AEs in stock? They were supposed to be delivered yesterday or today. So hopefully I get her back next week.

BKACHE

So do the Chrome have more than a 24% longer life? Better value?
Dan

jrgreene1968

I love the cobras, my only gripe is the short life.. on my bike anyway. I get good mileage out of the front, but only get about 5k on the rear. I know most of that is my right hands fault though

SixShooter14

Quote from: jrgreene1968 on May 24, 2019, 01:51:34 PM
I love the cobras, my only gripe is the short life.. on my bike anyway. I get good mileage out of the front, but only get about 5k on the rear. I know most of that is my right hands fault though
I had about 7k on Cobras on my Softy when I traded it in. I do almost entirely flat/straight cruising here in the flatlands. They probably would make it to 10k, but not much more. They were wearing pretty evenly F/R though. And with a lowered Softail, I rode pretty easy, else I'd be dragging pegs which I did.