April 24, 2024, 11:17:59 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Found in twincam camchest?

Started by BVHOG, May 28, 2019, 06:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BVHOG

Ok, so I pulled down an 06 twincam camchest this morning, owner bought on craigslist and had some noise and sluggish performance. Had no idea what was done. First off found it sumping, over a quart in the cases. I pulled it down this morn and found a gear drive 551 easy start setup along with a fueling oil pump and plate combo with S&S quickee pushrods. Appears everything else is still 88 inch and never touched. Crank is only 2 1/2 thou run out. Pretty much the best I have seen in an 06 ever. lifters had some scoring on the body but pump/plate and everything looks great.O-ring was pinched on pump to case causing the sumping and inner bearings were in backwards. 
Now for the question, I found these 3 pieces in the chest when I opened it up, what the hell is/was it? any ideas, doesn't seem to fit anything and it may have a 4th piece that should have been there too. Seems to have been a sleeve or something. It's not a pivot for a tensioner and it's not a relief plunger.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Barrett

Ohio HD

Can't tell the size, but a case half dowel?

16574-99A

BVHOG

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 28, 2019, 06:45:05 PM
Can't tell the size, but a case half dowel?

16574-99A
Nope, no dowel, too thick of wall, I can't imagine what it is unless the last mechanic just plain dropped something in it.

BVHOG

May 28, 2019, 07:11:57 PM #4 Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 07:48:20 PM by BVHOG
Mystery solved, it is the pivot bushing in the previous factory tensioner, guessing they got one piece out but not the rest.  I guess I gave them the benefit of the doubt that the last mechanic would have cleaned out the camchest first. :doh:

ultraglide59

Did you ever find out why its sumping? I have an 01 that fills up with a qt or more and is slow to rev up also.

fbn ent

"O-ring was pinched on pump to case causing the sumping .... "
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

les

Quote from: fbn ent on December 17, 2019, 07:09:52 AM

Probably because the o-ring was installed into the hole in the case first, rather than putting it on the oil pump tube and then pushing it into the case.

jsachs1

Quote from: les on December 17, 2019, 12:42:05 PM
Quote from: fbn ent on December 17, 2019, 07:09:52 AM

Probably because the o-ring was installed into the hole in the case first, rather than putting it on the oil pump tube and then pushing it into the case.
I've NEVER installed a TC oil pump any other way. O-ring in case, push pump into it. I can't count the number of installs I've done. No sumping ever.
John

Ohio HD

I've always pressed the o-ring flush into the case, lube the pump and slide it in. I've never had one sump or leak.

les

Quote from: Ohio HD on December 17, 2019, 04:19:50 PM
I've always pressed the o-ring flush into the case, lube the pump and slide it in. I've never had one sump or leak.

I have, and why I don't do it that way any more.  Even the SM says to put on the pump first, probably to reduce the risk of cutting that o-ring.

rbabos

Key word here is lube as it aids install without tearing or friction on the ring to move it out of position . Either method will work but I preferred the o ring on pump and into the case .
Ron

FXDBI

Quote from: les on December 18, 2019, 08:40:48 AM

I have, and why I don't do it that way any more.  Even the SM says to put on the pump first, probably to reduce the risk of cutting that o-ring.
My 06 Dyna service manual states to put the O-ring flush in the case lightly oiled and then install pump.  That's the way I do it, takes a little care and finesse not a wham bam I am done process.  Bob

prodrag1320

with the end of the inlet of fuelling pumps not being beveled,its not hard to pinch the O ring

joe_lyons

Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

les

Quote from: FXDBI on December 19, 2019, 10:48:04 AM
Quote from: les on December 18, 2019, 08:40:48 AM

My 06 Dyna service manual states to put the O-ring flush in the case lightly oiled and then install pump.  That's the way I do it, takes a little care and finesse not a wham bam I am done process.  Bob

Hmmm...

2009 Softail SM, page 3-57: "Install new o-ring on scavenge port stub of oil pump housing."
2001 Touring SM, page 3-50: "Install new o-ring on scavenge port stub of oil pump housing."
2002 Softail SM, page 3-52: "Install new o-ring on scavenge port stub of oil pump housing."
2011 Touring SM, page 3-88: "Apply a very thin film of Screamin' Eagle Assembly Lube to new scavenge port stub o-ring and install on scavenge port stub of oil pump housing."
2010 Touring SM, page 3-53: "Install new o-ring on scavenge port stub of oil pump housing."
2007 Touring SM, page 3-45: "Install new o-ring on scavenge port stub of oil pump housing."

Coyote

December 23, 2019, 10:59:39 AM #16 Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 11:44:38 AM by Coyote
I checked on 07 Softail manual and it does say to install the oiled Oring into the grove in the cam chest, not on the oil pump.

Don't think it matters at all as long as you are careful when seating the pump/plate.

les

Quote from: Coyote on December 23, 2019, 10:59:39 AM
I checked on 07 Softail manual and it does say to install the oiled Oring into the grove in the cam chest, not on the oil pump.

Don't think it matters at all as long as you are careful when seating the pump/plate.

Perhaps check again.  You might be reading about the small o-rings, not the scavenge port o-ring.

les

Quote from: Coyote on December 23, 2019, 10:59:39 AM

[/quote

BTW, I read that exact same thing in the SM's.  You're close to the area in the SM that talks about the scavenge o-ring.

Coyote

Yes, I did misread it. Having done it both ways, I still don't think it matters if you are careful mounting the plate/pump. The manual also has them installed separately but I've always put the pump on the plate first.

les

Quote from: Coyote on December 23, 2019, 11:46:18 AM
Yes, I did misread it. Having done it both ways, I still don't think it matters if you are careful mounting the plate/pump. The manual also has them installed separately but I've always put the pump on the plate first.

The reason I'm posting is not to argue that the scavenge o-ring cannot be installed in the engine casing first and successfully not pinched/cut by then pushing the oil pump tube into it.  Rather, by installing the o-ring on the pump tube first, there is less risk of a pinch/cut.

Heck, I know guys who can set the flywheel endplay by just pushing and pulling on the sprocket shaft.  Yes, there are skillful hands out there.  However, there are a lot of varying skill levels on HTT.  My attempt is to do some of those folks a favor.