May 07, 2024, 02:40:39 AM

News:

Interesting oil leak

Started by BVHOG, July 15, 2019, 01:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BVHOG

Had a customer call today that had a 113 motor built (110 60 over)at a presumably reputable shop in MN and I had tuned a couple months back. He had been doing some interstate riding when he noticed smoke/ oil on the rear headpipe and when he checked it out it had came from between the head and cylinder by the oil return dowel. My first thought was the a/c vent and it had just migrated but he said it is dry everywhere else. It did the one quick shot of oil and has not done it since but he says you can see that it is damp at the gasket. He has ridden the bike a couple hundred miles with no further problems. He has taken it to his local indy and he confirmed it to be between the head and cylinder at the oil return.
He has since contacted the original builder who will remain un named for now but it highly regarded around here and he immediately blamed it on the tune. Hmmm, that's a new one on me as the bike tuned well, made great power and the owner said it runs cool.  I hope to get a first hand look at the bike next week but has anyone here ever heard of anything like this?  My only thought was perhaps the liner had shifted in the cylinder.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Prostock

OEM upper and lower rocker box gaskets???

chaos901

Originally, when the MOCO came out with the 110 and was having all of the problems with oil leaks the first year (or so) wasn't that related to the liner shifting in the cylinders?
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

BVHOG

turboprop

Wait a minute, the guy that assembled the engine is blaming an oil leak on the tune/tuner?

Blahahahhaaha
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

wfolarry

1workinman

Now I not heard that one before , I don't see how you can connect the dots here .I had a motor that was messed up as a box full of coat hangers , leaked oil under the cylinders and finally the noise from the pistons hitting the valves it had to come down , at another shop  Steve fixed all of the crap and it does a good job .   The porter that did the heads , bored the cylinders , supplied the cam , pistons ect , blamed the builder for just bolting it together not checking . Who  at fault here me for trusting and not using who I want as a porter , builder , tuner .   

BVHOG