May 02, 2024, 10:08:32 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Starting to get occasional hard starts

Started by scott7d, July 07, 2019, 10:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scott7d

2013 CVO Road King

This past spring I noticed my bike had a tough time starting when cold. I bought a new battery, a Yuasa with 500 CCA. The bike still occasionally started rough when cold, but fired right up like new when warm.

Today my bike had a tough time starting in the drive way. It cranked once, then there was a longer pause than usual before it cranked a few more times and fired. Once out of town (20 minute ride out) I made a short stop for breakfast. When I went to start the bike, it would crank somewhat weak, shot out the breather and would not fire. I turned the ignition off and on, tried again and then it fired up the first crank perfectly.

When I stopped for gas, it did the same thing. This time instead of turning off the ignition, I kept it on and tried again. Boom.....fired up like new. In case this is important information, It did reprime the fuel after the failed start this second time around although I never turned off the ignition. I could hear it buzz.

I'm worried now that the bike is starting hard even when Warm. I will still have the battery tested just in case, although it's kept on a tender constantly when not ridden and almost brand new.

Could this be the starter going bad? Maybe a compression release issue? Bike has 72,000 miles and it's the original starter. Some of the symptoms match when my compensator was going bad. But I'm not hearing it rattle and I'm not getting that dreaded metal on metal screech during most starts. It will on occasion but not frequently at all.

I hope that all makes sense. I'm not good with words but will try to clarify anything. Thank you!
Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser

Hossamania

Double-check your grounds. Try jumping it when cold, if it fires right off, the battery is suspect.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

scott7d

I have a battery jump pack that attaches easily. Didn't think about that, I'll give it a shot to at least possibly rule that out.

Just made two stops. One for maybe 20 minutes and the other for not even 5 minutes. Both starts fired up so quick you couldn't even hear the first crank. Has a mind of its own.

1workinman

New batter ok lets see if I got this correct it does not want to turn over in the usual manner. If it was me I take a volt meter and check voltage at the starter under load . I don't want to see below 9.6 . There are a lot smarter guys on here than me but the key to this is a loaded circuit, and even then the contacts in the starter may need a bit of help . A kit from amazon can fit that.  Just start testing to see where the problem is , yesterday I went through this crap with my diesel zero turn mower , I used a test light the one with a probe on it and as soon as I it the shorted across the starter to solenoid the light went out on the post of starter . Bad connection at post . The batter was pretty old so I just replace the batter and cleaned the post and no more problems , loaded circuits and even ground may show ok but as soon as you load they done , I watched Paul Danner on u tube go through these test and he is a sharp guy

Scotty

That would be 110 motor in that bike I wonder if the ACR's are not working correctly or failing  :scratch:

1workinman

Quote from: Scotty on July 07, 2019, 02:32:15 PM
That would be 110 motor in that bike I wonder if the ACR's are not working correctly or failing  :scratch:
a compression test could find out

scott7d

The bike is a 124 now.

Rode the rest of the day and a series of the same thing. A few immediate starts and a few that didn't wanna fire.

I'll head to my friends shop this week for some testing. Thanks for the replies!

choseneasy

Go thru the whole circuit- maybe your starter relay has a poor ground, etc.
  I believe the manuals have a good troubleshooting section for starters.

scott7d

I appreciate the input. I have an appointment to get things checked out soon.

I had an odd experience tonight leaving work. I turned the ignition and everything came on fine. Hit the starter button and there was a click, and everything instantly powered off. It did not have a chance to crank. I turned off the ignition and back on, still dead. I assumed the click was a blown fuse.

Luckily I was on top of a hill and could coast in neutral to the motorcycle parking spaces where it could sit all night. As I was coasting, my signals flashed and my alarm chirped like it had power again. So I turned the ignition, everything came on and was able to start and ride home. I am totally stumped. Tomorrow I will check battery connections and see if there are any codes.

codyshop

You may have a battery cable broken inside its insulation.   The look just fine, but when you work your fingers down the, there's a missing section inside the insulation. 

Hossamania

Yes, that is a classic sign of loose or broken battery connections.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

:agree:  ....... Especially loose or corroded.
KD

scott7d

You were correct. Looked this morning and a terminal screw backed out. Didn't tighten down good after removing air ride electronics. Back to starting as soon as I even look at the damned button.