April 17, 2024, 05:11:04 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Skipping cd player

Started by Cozz, June 12, 2019, 02:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cozz

My stock head unit CD player ( 04 Ultra ) is skipping badly, but every once in a while plays ok. Tried a lense cleaner disk, didn't help. Maybe should try a better one.

Running a Drag front motor mount, kinda sucks. Have not looked inside fairing yet for a broken mount. The fairing does seem to vibrate more than usual lately.

Anybody have any tips or tricks to fix this problem?
2004 Electraglide Ultra Classic

PoorUB

Look and make sure the handle bar clamp bolts are not rubbing the bottom of the radio. I forgot  which  years but it was a problem.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Cozz

Opened up the fairing today to check everything out. All mounting brackets are good, bolts are tight.  Radio is not touching the riser bolts, although it's close. About 1/8 on one side, 1/16 on the other. Maybe the shitty Drag Specialties motor mount is causing it, or the CD player has gone bad. Bummer.

ViseGrips

this might help >>  '' IF '' you are burning your own discs at home ..back in the days of MSN /HTT this topic/problem was discussed.....one solution seemed to be was to burn homemade disks at the slowest possible speed..another solution was to also gain more clearance for your stereo unit.

Hossamania

1/16" is pretty close. I don't know if you've noticed, but these bikes tend to shake a bit...
As mentioned, I would try for a little more clearance there, on both sides.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Cozz

Quote from: Hossamania on June 15, 2019, 08:16:26 AM
1/16" is pretty close. I don't know if you've noticed, but these bikes tend to shake a bit...
As mentioned, I would try for a little more clearance there, on both sides.
How do I do that? Is there some room for adjustment in the radio mounts?  Grind down riser bolt heads? I'm planning on changing the front motor mount from DS, to a Glide Pro, to start with. The DS mount has sucked from day 1.

Hossamania

Yes, you can grind them down, or possibly replace them with slightly shorter bolts. I would just cut them down, cheap, like me.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Coyote

The riser bolt problem was for the later model bikes with the HK radio. You have clearance, that's all you need anyways.

Cozz

Swapped out the Drag front motor mount yesterday, for a glide pro. My CD player is working correctly again, at idle. Haven't road tested it yet. Hopefully Tuesday when it stops raining again.

Cozz

Bike is smoother than it's ever been since i've Had it, CD player is working fine again.
Lesson learned. Don't buy a cheap motor mount.