May 02, 2024, 05:12:39 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

07 Dyna 112.000 miles, crank .003, oil pump

Started by zoot, July 21, 2019, 11:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoot

Had noise in primary side so while I was working on that I decided to check the cam pads.Haven't had apart in 100.000 miles Almost same as woods post,except a little deeper groves.Got Feuling pads.I noticed the crank end was a little scratched up.Not too bad I don't think, but question is would it be ok to take emery cloth and smooth it out some? And maybe smooth up cam plate bushing some. Crank was out .003.
Also oil pump, it has a little ware on the upper side 180 from intake and the large ring in back had some scuff marks.once again not real bad I dont think.  Would it be ok to smooth them out some?
Bike runs good ,no smoking or oil burning. good compression,195F-192R.
I just want to get bike back together, using least amount of money too ride for remainder of summer.
Plan on doing total rebuild this winter.  Thanks Walt

FXDBI

You can lap the pump plates on a sheet of glass with very fine emery. My 06 Dyna had similar markings with .006 runout. I cleaned up the plates and the bushing, crank shaft end(after I straightened the crank and welded it myself) ran it 2 years before I pulled it apart again.  Installed a new take out 43/8 crank and a 110 kit and  the same pump it is working fine. I did measure the bushing to crank clearance to make sure it was in spec. The pump must be flat hence the lapping on glass in a figure 8 by hand.  Bob

zoot

Ok thanks  I cleaned up the inside pump with 1000  emery and did the pump rings like you said  . Every thing looks good now, You can barely see the ware marks in the pump. Crank cleaned ok also.  Hopefully I have it running tomorrow  Thanks again

FXDBI

Quote from: zoot on July 21, 2019, 04:38:09 PM
Ok thanks  I cleaned up the inside pump with 1000  emery and did the pump rings like you said  . Every thing looks good now, You can barely see the ware marks in the pump. Crank cleaned ok also.  Hopefully I have it running tomorrow  Thanks again

Make sure you clean it real good so it wipes clean with a white rag. Lube it well on assembly. I also always turn the engine over with plugs out and fuel pump fuse pulled until the oil light goes out and confirm that a 2nd time 5 mins later to make sure it pumping.  Call me old and anal but it is what it is.  Bob