March 28, 2024, 10:23:58 AM

News:

checking oil

Started by nw69fl, June 17, 2019, 01:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nw69fl

Stupid question, Is the mark on the oil dipstick the add mark or the full mark?

Hossamania

That is the full mark.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Dan89flstc

Quote from: nw69fl on June 17, 2019, 01:23:19 PM
From your other post I will assume the bike in question is a Softail.

Forget about the dipstick, it`s useless.

Easiest way to check oil on Softail is to stand bike upright, look into oil tank, level should be about 1 to 1-1/2 inches below the bottom of the filler neck.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

tdrglide

Also. Check oil level with engine warm or at least ran long enough to pull any excess oil back out from crankcase.

plumberglen

:agree:
Quote from: Dan89flstc on June 18, 2019, 04:39:32 AM
Quote from: nw69fl on June 17, 2019, 01:23:19 PM
From your other post I will assume the bike in question is a Softail.

Forget about the dipstick, it`s useless.

Easiest way to check oil on Softail is to stand bike upright, look into oil tank, level should be about 1 to 1-1/2 inches below the bottom of the filler neck.
hey

Ironheadmike

I just stick my finger into the spout . If I have oil on my finger I'm good to go .

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Ironheadmike on June 25, 2019, 09:55:29 AM
I just stick my finger into the spout . If I have oil on my finger I'm good to go .
:up: :SM:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Dan89flstc

That works.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

kd

Quote from: Dan89flstc on June 25, 2019, 02:53:03 PM

That works.

Cold engine I hope.   :crook:   :cry:
KD

Hossamania

Quote from: kd on June 25, 2019, 08:18:21 PM
Quote from: Dan89flstc on June 25, 2019, 02:53:03 PM

That works.

Cold engine I hope.   :crook:   :cry:

Cold oil check on a Softail is not reliable, as they sometimes leak down to the motor, and need to be run to get a true reading. Sorry, got to put your finger in hot oil! Well, warm anyway.

Ironheadmike

It's like sticking your finger in coffee . It's hot but not burning hot

Dan89flstc

June 26, 2019, 05:20:50 AM #11 Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 06:10:20 AM by Dan89flstc

Quote from: Hossamania on June 25, 2019, 08:56:11 PM
Cold oil check on a Softail is not reliable, as they sometimes leak down to the motor, and need to be run to get a true reading. Sorry, got to put your finger in hot oil! Well, warm anyway.

If your bike has an issue with oil leaking into the crankcases, I agree that running the engine will get the level in the tank back to normal, but most bikes don`t leak down until they have sat for quite some time.

My `89 doesn`t leak down, and I have been checking it cold for 30 years.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

SixShooter14

Quote from: Dan89flstc on June 26, 2019, 05:20:50 AM

If your bike has an issue with oil leaking into the crankcases, I agree that running the engine will get the level in the tank back to normal, but most bikes don`t leak down until they have sat for quite some time.

From what I've read, it's quite common for Softails to leak down. Mine did if sat for more than a week or 2. It usually took only a minute or 2 for it to return to normal.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Hossamania

If you check it cold, and it's at the proper level, good to go.
If you check it cold, and it is low, do not add oil until it has run a bit and recheck.
Just had a friend add oil cold, started it, and it was not a happy morning in the garage.

screem

Quote from: Hossamania on June 26, 2019, 11:30:11 AM

If you check it cold, and it's at the proper level, good to go.
If you check it cold, and it is low, do not add oil until it has run a bit and recheck.
Just had a friend add oil cold, started it, and it was not a happy morning in the garage.

Been there.. checked cold before a long ride.. went about ten miles and the oil plug/dipstick popped out and puked oil on to my jeans and all over the bike :oil: :oil:

Ironheadmike

If you are leaking oil . the check ball in the pump is nit seated . I can leave my bike sit for months and it don't leak down at all . If it does it's minimal .

FTBY55

Just changed all the fluids on my '96 FatBoy. Flushed the engine oil until clean appeared and then reconnected the return hose. Added another quart and watched it flowing back into tank. Went to put oil dipstick in and when I got close it was sucked in. Pulled it back off and held it close to the top and it was being puled in and pushed back out. I don't remember this happening before. Is something amiss that I should be concerned about?

Burnout

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

hdbikedoc

evo check oil hot bike upright on bikes with oil tanks high in frame 1 inch bellow rubber 
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked