May 04, 2024, 11:28:36 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

difference between early and later 19 inch rims

Started by hogget, July 09, 2019, 04:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogget

i'm building a triumph flat tracker with a sporty front end and want to use a 19" drop centre rim on the back - same as the front - 2.5" wide
my wheel builder say he can lace a 2008 excel sporty rim to the triumph rear conical hub, so i'm looking to buy one
have seen 19" rims for sale with different HD part nos 43001-06 late models and 43018-73 - early (1970s) model sportys, low riders and super glides
does anyone know what the difference is?

calif phil

There were both steel and aluminum 19" rims.  I would avoid the aluminum profile version. I see lots of corrosion on the inside of those. 

hogget

I want to use the chromed steel rim, but don't want to get one that won't fit

Admiral Akbar

There is nothing wrong with aluminum hoops if you don't chrome them. For me they seemed to corrode less than steel. Chromed, they start shedding chrome after a few tire changes.

The difference between the early and late rims is the spoke pattern.  There are 2 possible combinations.  I don't remember if excel patterned rims are drilled to the early HD or Late HD pattern.  I suspect late but would not bet on it.   Call Buchanan Spokes, they will know.

Personally. I wouldn't use HD steel rims. I would run Excel raised ridge aluminum wheels as they are close to the raised ridge  Akron's. 

hogget

called my local hd dealer today - they said the early part no is superseded by the new one
the chrome rims are made by excel from the hd factory