May 05, 2024, 06:37:46 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2017 FXDB rough idle when hot

Started by ChrisFXDB, June 28, 2019, 02:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisFXDB

I have a 2017 FXDB with a Two brothers 2-1 exhaust, Arlen Ness Big Sucker and Power Commander V. Was running great but all of a sudden I've been experiencing an issue at idle. When I come to a stop it idle fine around 950-1000 rpms for 10-15 seconds then it will drop to around 870-890 for a second and then catch itself and go back to normal idle. It has also died twice while slowing down to a stop. Only does this when the engine is warm.

Things I have checked so far are:

Battery
Spark plugs-new
Cleaned IAC
Different fuel

Any thoughts?

ChrisFXDB

Forgot to mention that after it returns to normal idle it will be fine for another 10-15 seconds and then do the same thing.

Scotty

Any error codes?
Could be a speed sensor problem
Could be a O2 sensor problem
Could be a TPS problem
Could be a Power Commander V problem

ChrisFXDB

No error codes unfortunately. The power commander is only a month old.

Hossamania

Quote from: ChrisFXDB on June 28, 2019, 03:09:59 PM
No error codes unfortunately. The power commander is only a month old.

It may not be the problem, but it can't be ruled out either. Just like tires and batteries, even new, they sometimes fail or have a defect.
Try unplugging it and plugging it back in.
Of course, I have to be a smartass and say try unplugging it, and plugging in a Power Vision...
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

If no codes, it could be as simple as a vacuum leak.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

ChrisFXDB

Tried unplugging and plugging back in and it runs the same.

Scotty

Quote from: Hossamania on June 28, 2019, 03:51:43 PM
If no codes, it could be as simple as a vacuum leak.

:agree: could be intake seals got moved slightly when Big Sucker installed and are just now showing up as a problem.

ChrisFXDB

I thought intake leaks usually cause high rpms, I may be wrong. But when I removed my intake to clean the IAC everything seemed in order.

Scotty

Quote from: ChrisFXDB on June 28, 2019, 04:19:19 PM
I thought intake leaks usually cause high rpms, I may be wrong. But when I removed my intake to clean the IAC everything seemed in order.

No they can cause a low idle problem as the ECM and PCV try to compensate.
You need to spray around the intake seals where they join to the cylinder and see if it stalls.
I have used water and brake clean and if you use brake clean just don't breath  :hyst:

ChrisFXDB

Sprayed water around the intake seals this morning and there was no change in rpm or stalling.

Scotty

As long as this was after the motor has been ridden and is hot because doing it cold is a waste of time.

BVHOG

If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Scotty

Quote from: BVHOG on July 05, 2019, 04:09:29 PM
Speed sensor

That was first on my list up further but don't know if he bothered looking at at the sensor.

CVOThunder

Dumb idea but is Engine Idle Temperature Management System (EITMS) install on this bike and could it be an issue? Doubtful but the through crossed my feeble mind.
Photons by the bag. Gravitons not  shipped outside the US.

ChrisFXDB

I did remove and clean speed sensor which really wasn't dirty. EITMS is disabled.