March 29, 2024, 06:15:58 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Bluetooth Earbud Recommendations

Started by DGlide04, June 25, 2019, 02:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGlide04

I've searched the Forums and all I've found is an old thread from 2009 for some technology that is no longer available.  Looking for a decently priced pair of bluetooth earbud for a full and/or 3/4 helmet to be used on an upcoming trip.  I don't need the phone answering and microphone features since I won't be taking/making calls on the moving bike.  If anyone has some experience with bluetooth earbuds that are reasonably priced, I'd appreciate your input.

Bike is a 2004 Road King, I'll be traveling with just the windshield on, faring is being left home.

Thanks.

r0de_runr

Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

r0de_runr

But if you don't mind the wire, they have superb sound quality and are inexpensive.  I use them with my Sena 20S.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0782B3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

DGlide04

Thanks for the suggestions rOde_runr, I'll have to look them up on Amazon.  Trip is still 2 weeks away so I need to make up my mind. 

Boe Cole

Bluetooth is nice but if you are going to listen to music from an ipod or other mp3 device, you may want to reconsider bluetooth.  I find that different songs play with different volumes and that I'm always fiddling with the volume button on my rgu to either make the music louder or softer - I use wired earbuds. 

Most of the bluetooth devices I've seen have the volume control on the device and if what you find to work best for you requires you to adjust the device, think how well that will work with your helmet on if you can't get to the control.

Good luck with whatever you decide - just wanted you to consider the downside.  Also don't forget battery life on the device.  If you are riding for 6 hours and the device only lasts 4 hours, could be a little frustrating.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Coyote

The volume issue has nothing to do with Bluetooth. It's very common from one MP3 file to the next. Just use a leveling program like MP3 Gain to level all the MP3 files and the issue is gone.

I can't offer much on BT ear buds. I use a Sena 20S on my touring bike. Even though it will do music, I still use the bike speakers for that. The BT headset is for phone and navigation.

Leed

These are pretty good.  I haven't tried the blue tooth version but I've had the direct plug ins.

https://www.earfuze.com/

theroadglide

When you are exploring Amazon, look at the Ruckus Discord Bluetooth Earplug Earbuds. Music or phone with a decent noise cancelling mic. 25 db noise reduction, OSHA approved. I haven't put them to the endurance test, but according to others they will last up to 14 hours.

Stephen

Boe Cole

Quote from: Coyote on June 26, 2019, 10:25:25 AM
The volume issue has nothing to do with Bluetooth. It's very common from one MP3 file to the next. Just use a leveling program like MP3 Gain to level all the MP3 files and the issue is gone.

I can't offer much on BT ear buds. I use a Sena 20S on my touring bike. Even though it will do music, I still use the bike speakers for that. The BT headset is for phone and navigation.

Had not heard of an mp3 leveling program.  I'm going to give it a try - really tired of adjusting volume all the time.  Thanks Coyote!!!!
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Coyote

When you level the MP3's, make sure you don't overwrite your originals. Also, if you set the leveling up around 92 or 93 dB, it will slightly compress the audio which will make them sound much louder on the bike. You will see that MP3 Gain will warn you some of the tracks will clip but it's not enough to hear.

Once they're clipped though, you can't go back which is why you need to do this with a copy of the original file.

chaos901

I've never heard of the MP3 Gain either, figured there was something like that though, will need to investigate.  I use a cheap mp3 player (corded) when traveling. 
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Coyote

Hossamania

Quote from: chaos901 on June 28, 2019, 12:59:32 PM
I've never heard of the MP3 Gain either, figured there was something like that though, will need to investigate.  I use a cheap mp3 player (corded) when traveling.

In the settings, there may be an option for audio leveling, I know my iPod has it. It doesn't permanently change things, just an option.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

chaos901

June 28, 2019, 04:43:33 PM #13 Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 05:55:23 PM by chaos901
Used to use an ipod but worried about rain and vibration given what they cost, never have to worry about that stuff with these now.  Can get 12G of music on one, now it may have settings too but hard to read that small.  I also put mp3 files on a SD card to use in my Suburban.  Converting the files now with MP3 Gain, will see how it works out.  Did make a back-up first.

FSG

I used a few German programs for years ,,,,

one is mp3DirectCut  http://mpesch3.de1.cc/

also like their 1by1 Directory Player

NCHeritage07

Quote from: r0de_runr on June 25, 2019, 02:22:04 PM
I use these and am very happy.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011YNQTRE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am on my second set of LG Tones and have not been disappointed.  First set lost volume in one ear after many yrs of use.  But, for riding, a unit with speakers mounted in the helmet is hard to beat.  I have a Sena SMH-10 setup.  The speakers can't match the sound quality of earbuds but not having to insert and remove them is worth the quality loss to me. 
On the days that I hold my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have pretty good days.  -RWH

klammer76

Wish I had the computer knowledge you guy have. I have an itunes library with 1772 songs on it. A lot purchased, some downloaded from CD's and internet. I have the itunes library on my Macbook Pro and the songs on ipod and iphone. I just read up on the MP3 Gain and would like to level the songs but looks very involved. I worry about losing the songs etc and just not worth it for me. I do back up my computer to an external hard drive about once a month so I assume the itunes library is backed up there also.

I have screwed up things before  :embarrassed:

chaos901

There are several programs that will convert iTunes files to mp3 files.  I can't remember the one that I use sitting here at it is on the computer at home.     

chaos901

QuoteThere are several programs that will convert iTunes files to mp3 files.  I can't remember the one that I use sitting here at it is on the computer at home.     

Noteburner is what I use for this.  It does not replace the iTune files, just make copies of them as mp3 files.  Is easy to use, I got to believe it will work with a Mac device but I don't know since I am a PC person.

Bladesmith

Quote from: theroadglide on June 26, 2019, 02:23:06 PM
When you are exploring Amazon, look at the Ruckus Discord Bluetooth Earplug Earbuds. Music or phone with a decent noise cancelling mic. 25 db noise reduction, OSHA approved. I haven't put them to the endurance test, but according to others they will last up to 14 hours.

Stephen

I use the 3M osha approved corded earbud in my shop...A bit pricy but worth it, With several loud machines running all I hear is music from my iPod...I also use them on airplanes and they cut out All noise.
If my thought dreams could be seen they'd  put my head in a guillotine.. Dylan