April 25, 2024, 01:33:20 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Plugging the mid-shift hole in the Shovel inner primary

Started by bluehighwayfx, June 25, 2019, 03:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluehighwayfx

I am sure this has been posted somewhere before but just in case you can use a 13/16" cup style freeze plug, Dorman part number 555-013 to seal that midshift hole when you add forward controls.  The plug was .39 at O'Reilly Auto Parts today.  I am also going to try and find an inline fuel filter to use as a vent on the back of the primary, it should keep bugs and grit out and let the hot air and a little bit of oil out. Thoughts?
Killing bugs at high speed since 1978, same shovel, different day.

crock

Been running a sealed primary a long time and don't have a filter on it . Never found anything out of the ordinary in there when it's been apart. I did leave a short hose on the back side of the drip tube fitting
Crock

carioux2008

Neat tip! next time I have to pull the primary off my 84 Ill put this in. I just found a bolt to stuff through the hole and put a locknut on it. Used the factory seal as well. Havent had a leak yet, but I like your idea much better for a clean and professional looking job.

david lee

you have to take the inner off to get the mid control shifter shaft out

bluehighwayfx

I need to correct that, mine measured 1". Evidently there are different size holes and only some are 13/16" :oops:
Killing bugs at high speed since 1978, same shovel, different day.

david lee

i read on another harley forum site that a primary does not have to be vented but to me i should to let out hot air when running a belt drive

SanB2013

I used the freeze plug from O'Reilly Auto Parts on mine too.  Works great and no leaks. Also don't worry about something coming loose inside the primary.  :up:
1976 FXE

thumpr54

:up: that's the kind of tip I like !...... 39 cents for the part... :SM:      Hadn't needed the washer for a long time but put an external/extra oil filter on my shovel...similar to pan filter I believe..on the right side above the kicker.......there's a copper washer on the bottom of the center bolt.....I loved going to the Harley parts counter and buying what I needed for 79 cents.... :hyst:
growing old is mandatory-growing up is optional
355 AMS(TAC)DMAFB 73-76 VFW6774

david lee

Quote from: thumpr54 on October 20, 2019, 03:01:35 PM
:up: that's the kind of tip I like !...... 39 cents for the part... :SM:      Hadn't needed the washer for a long time but put an external/extra oil filter on my shovel...similar to pan filter I believe..on the right side above the kicker.......there's a copper washer on the bottom of the center bolt.....I loved going to the Harley parts counter and buying what I needed for 79 cents.... :hyst:
and not chineese