April 17, 2024, 08:40:41 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cutting brake drums

Started by Reddog74usa, July 07, 2019, 07:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog74usa

I am restoring a 68 FLH and would like to get the brake drums cut. Any shops doing that for these machines???
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Mule

I would check out OLD established brake shops for someone with a brake lathe /adapters and a guy who knows how to use it...

capn

Try on the shovel forum.Many pan and shovel purests on there.

dirtymike

I would measure the thickness of the drum first and make sure you can still turn it. There are thickness limits that need to be maintained. If its already been turned it my be out of tolerance to far to turn. 1968, I'm sure someone has turned the drums. Dirty

Reddog74usa

Just got this from a member on another site.

Had mine done at Vintage Brake in California. They will line your shoes with the proper brake lining and arc them to match the brake drums. Takes a long time for turnaround with them but my brakes are great. These guys specialize in drum brake for vintage racers.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Buglet

Years ago when I use to work on them I always arc the shoes to the drum. Now and then one manage to comes in, I still arc the shoes to the drum.

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Reddog74usa on July 07, 2019, 07:23:24 AM
I am restoring a 68 FLH and would like to get the brake drums cut. Any shops doing that for these machines???

We have a lathe-mounted fixture that is specifically designed to do this.
Just did a couple brake drums about a month ago.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Reddog74usa

Have checked and drums haven't been turned. Scott says he has a dedicated machine but I cannot seem to get up with him so any recommendations would be appreciated. Guess I could always look for new ones.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

billbuilds

"...cannot seem to get up with him..."  Not sure what you mean here. Pretty sure that he's on eastern standard time. Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

FSG

any auto repair shop that has a half decent brake lathe would be able to mount a HD Drum and cut it

I had one of these lathes for a few years, did discs, drums and flywheels on it

Rsw

Quote from: FSG on July 28, 2019, 04:39:58 PM
any auto repair shop that has a half decent brake lathe would be able to mount a HD Drum and cut it

I had one of these lathes for a few years, did discs, drums and flywheels on it

Exactly not rocket science

76shuvlinoff

Quoteany auto repair shop that has a half decent brake lathe....

These days in our throw away world rotors are probably cheaper than cleaning them up. I wonder how many have the tools and knowledge to clean up drums.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

FSG

QuoteThese days in our throw away world rotors are probably cheaper than cleaning them up.

very true especially the plain jane slip over hub type rotors, a dime a dozen as they say

but for the better rotors drilled, slotted, kangaroo pawed, etc, they're sure worth doing

QuoteI wonder how many have the tools and knowledge to clean up drums.

darn good question

I know of 3 shops in the Nth Brisbane area that does drums, other areas ........ who knows

any good machinist worth his salt wouldn't have any problems disc or drum 

heck I did the rear drums on my old Hilux Ute every couple of years, made it easy for shoe adjustment by taking the non wear lip out of the drum on a regular basis 

Buglet

I had an Ammco 4100 with the shoe arc. Sold it years ago but still have use of it. The best way to match the shoes to the drum.