May 01, 2024, 10:45:50 AM

News:

Rinehart fitment question

Started by jmorton10, June 01, 2019, 03:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmorton10

A few years ago, my Dragula pipe broke in half on my RK & since I was going on a run the next day I threw on an old set of Rinehart Classic true duals I had kicking around.  I loved the sound of them & ended up leaving that system on.

Yesterday, the left side muffler fell off while I was entering a local x-way. I managed to retrieve it & reinstall it but it's pretty beat up LOL.

My question is, there are a ton of Rinehart mufflers on ebay, do I need a specific muffler for the TD system or will any Rinehart slip-on work??

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Skin

As long as they are for a Bagger they should fit no problem and I can't remember, haven't messed with them in a long while but you should be able to pull the baffle out of the beat up muffler and put it in the replacement so the sides are balanced if needed.

jmorton10

Thank you for the info Skin, that's kinda what I figured.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

capn

Dont forget the Rinehart true duals have a bigger inlet size than the stock slip on type.

jmorton10

So that means the regular Rinehart bagger slip-ons mufflers WON'T work with the true dual setup??

~John

capn

The Rinehart TD mufflers have 2 inch inlet, the Rinehart slip ons for stock head pipe are 1 3/4.Go on the website and check it out.

calif phil

The old Bub/Rinehart slip ons will have the 2" inlet and there are not any new ones to be had. 
The Rineheart slip ons that are available now will have the stock Harley 1" 7/8s inlet and those are available new.

jmorton10

So there is no replacement for the early system mufflers??

~John

capn

I got two sets of rinehart tds.One set is a yr. old the other ones I got in 2012. Both have the same size inlet diameter so I think you can get mufflers to fit the older pipes.

SixShooter14

Quote from: calif phil on June 01, 2019, 11:07:41 PM
The old Bub/Rinehart slip ons will have the 2" inlet and there are not any new ones to be had. 
The Rineheart slip ons that are available now will have the stock Harley 1" 7/8s inlet and those are available new.
Rinehart says they changed manufacturers in 2007 and that the headers and mufflers from the different periods aren't compatible.

Is this muffler inlet size the difference between pre/post 2007 pipes?
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

jmorton10

My pipes are from 2007.  They where on a 2007 RK with a 117" motor when I bought it from a buddy.

I had taken them off when I installed a 124" S&S motor & went with a Dragula exhaust.  That exhaust worked great until it broke in half at the collector.  Needing the bike to be running the next day for a funeral, I threw the Rinehart system back on temporarily.

The bike ran great dialed in by the thundermax & I loved the sound so much that I decided to leave the Rinehart system on it.

~John

SixShooter14

Quote from: jmorton10 on June 04, 2019, 04:18:47 PM
My pipes are from 2007.  They where on a 2007 RK with a 117" motor when I bought it from a buddy.

I had taken them off when I installed a 124" S&S motor & went with a Dragula exhaust.  That exhaust worked great until it broke in half at the collector.  Needing the bike to be running the next day for a funeral, I threw the Rinehart system back on temporarily.

The bike ran great dialed in by the thundermax & I loved the sound so much that I decided to leave the Rinehart system on it.

~John
I have a cracked front header pipe on my '97 RK I'm not sure what age the pipes are as they were already on it. I'm going to try to have a welder friend weld up the crack. But if not, then I'll be needing to figure out which generation pipe I have. Hopefully I can just measure then muffler inlet and then I'll know.

harpwrench

The mufflers are 2" inlet on RH TD's, both older and newer, I have both on two bikes. I'm not positive about the Bub-made years because I've never had those. FYI I ordered a replacement rear pipe today and it was only 150 bucks, and if you can prove you bought them new they do have a lifetime warranty. Nice people to deal with.

SixShooter14

Quote from: harpwrench on June 04, 2019, 07:53:41 PM
The mufflers are 2" inlet on RH TD's, both older and newer, I have both on two bikes. I'm not positive about the Bub-made years because I've never had those. FYI I ordered a replacement rear pipe today and it was only 150 bucks, and if you can prove you bought them new they do have a lifetime warranty. Nice people to deal with.
Thanks, the bike is in the shop getting tires ATM. But I'll make certain the muffler is 2" in and order a replacement front. I've found 2 or 3 online parts houses that have them for around $150 also. So if my friend can't weld the crack, I'll just order a new front pipe.

SixShooter14

Quote from: harpwrench on June 04, 2019, 07:53:41 PM
From what I understand, the BUB pipes have different bends than the current headers. But the muffler inlet is the same 2". So while the headers are interchangeable, the heat shields need to match the pipe.

Burnout

I TIG weld them with Stainless rod.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"