March 28, 2024, 11:51:34 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Adding starter ring gear to XLCH

Started by sharkoilfield, May 02, 2021, 07:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkoilfield

I see a starter ring gear needs to be welded onto the clutch basket of my XLCH to add electric start; there's plenty of them available but I haven't found a youtube video detailing the process...and the packaging seems to contain no instructions...do I just rely on any expert welder to figure it out?  Does it fit in one way only?  Spot weld??

JW113

I have one laying out in the garage someplace, but damn if I can find it else I'd snap a pic. A quick Google Images on Ironhead clutch basket will give you what you need. Basically, they sit flush with the inside edge of the basket, bevel in gear teeth pointed outward, and welded on with four 1" beads. I think I read that some guys "shrink" them on, but that sure doesn't seem like a robust way to attach it.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

saltcaveminer

The ring fits tight so make sure you are ready to leave it on and make sure it bottoms on the ledge. I did not weld mine instead I used Muggy Weld rod with a torch. Dry fit the basket and check for rubbing.

sharkoilfield

I think I get it from your descriptions, thanks. Will order a new one and source the starter next from Tech Cycle...

Burnout

The ring gear gets stitch/spot welded to the basket, 4 stitches is plenty
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"