April 18, 2024, 08:36:35 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Primary Knock

Started by swampking, August 23, 2019, 04:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swampking

I have had a knock in my primary for several thousand mile now. 2016 Road Glide with 15000 miles. It's most noticeable on take off at low RPMs but after it's warm you can hear it at idle weather in gear or not. I removed the primary cover today and the Compensator looks like new, now wear on the ramps at all. The chain tensioner seemed to be working fine. A little over 1/2 inch slack in the top of the chain and the shoe traveled up and down as I put tension on the chain. Nothing loose on the clutch but noise is still there. Any ideas?

1workinman

Quote from: swampking on August 23, 2019, 04:47:07 PM
I have had a knock in my primary for several thousand mile now. 2016 Road Glide with 15000 miles. It's most noticeable on take off at low RPMs but after it's warm you can hear it at idle weather in gear or not. I removed the primary cover today and the Compensator looks like new, now wear on the ramps at all. The chain tensioner seemed to be working fine. A little over 1/2 inch slack in the top of the chain and the shoe traveled up and down as I put tension on the chain. Nothing loose on the clutch but noise is still there. Any ideas?
Well there is the bearing in the transmission that's behind the basket and there is on between the hub and the basket . I damn sure not a expert here just a tad bit of experience here . When I was in mine this week I checked the alignment of the compensator sprocket and the sprocket of the basket and I checked for looseness of the fit of the clutch assembly after the nut was torqued also/ When I pulled mine down the chain was very snug cold so I elected to do the tack weld the tensioner also .

1workinman

Did you check the stack out height of the compensator also

kd

KD

1workinman

Quote from: kd on August 24, 2019, 04:01:33 AM
:agree:   

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=82010.msg917659#msg917659
When I pulled mine down I checked the stack out height on the used unit and the new unit and they were very close . Mine also had two shims added to the compensator so I left them in there . I also just to be sure checked the off set from the primary case to the compensator and basket to be sure they were in spec.  One thing I found was a looseness in the hub to input shaft and that was fixed . I going to pull the cover off in a couple weekends to just to be sure how the tensioner is doing . I did not buy new gaskets and they did not leak so I just drain check and reinstall cover and torque to spec .  It seems pretty quiet and I don't want any problems when I go to Colorado in a 3 weeks or so