March 28, 2024, 01:53:29 PM

News:

Mid 90s Evos - anything special to watch for?

Started by Finn, July 11, 2019, 05:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finn

Soo, after 8 months without a Harley in the garage I'm heading tomorrow to check on a mid 90s FXSTS.

Are there any bigger issues with these mid 90s Evos to watch for or are they as good others? This one has about 37k miles on the clock but that is about all that I know of it at the moment.
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

SixShooter14

leaking base gaskets, rocker box gaskets, primary gaskets, and with anything that old, intake mani gaskets and wiring.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Hossamania

What year bike? '96 was a changeover year to better, waterproof upper controls.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Finn

Quote from: SixShooter14 on July 11, 2019, 06:07:40 AM
leaking base gaskets, rocker box gaskets, primary gaskets, and with anything that old, intake mani gaskets and wiring.
So, pretty much standard stuff fairly easy to take care of.  :beer:
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

Finn

Quote from: Hossamania on July 11, 2019, 07:59:46 AM
What year bike? '96 was a changeover year to better, waterproof upper controls.
Most likely a -97 but I can verify that after I see the VIN.

SixShooter14

Quote from: KaritheFinn on July 11, 2019, 09:56:09 AM
Quote from: SixShooter14 on July 11, 2019, 06:07:40 AM
So, pretty much standard stuff fairly easy to take care of.  :beer:
Pretty much, there'll likely be a long list of little things that pop up.

It's also likely to have been modified a bit by someone in the last 20+ years. So if they happen to know what was changed, be sure to double check the quality of the work. My '92 had some dude get too happy with dikes and a roll of black wire. Everything was run with black.

Finn

Thanks, guys. Bike has been sitting for the past 18 months so let's see if it runs and how well - old gas need to be replaced etc.

Ironheadmike

Gaskets are nothing . Evo's are pretty much bullet proof and a lot less maintenance and cost to fix than a twin cam .

screem

my  '95 evo has been fairly bullet proof.. at almost 160k it is a dead nuts reliable bike. I have replaced some of wear items over the years, cam & lifters, rotor& Stator a couple times.. took the top end off at 110k and everything was within tolerance, re-ringed it, just because it was apart, had the heads checked, put in valves and guides, i did replace the the studs and head bolts....as i had a small base gasket leak for years. I replaced the spring plate in the clutch pack(still original clutch plates and drive plates.
   The best bike i have ever owned, i am keeping and eye out for a 90's FXLR, I am an Evo guy all the way, i have a twin cam, love it... if i could only have one bike, it would be a mid 90's evo

jsachs1

Springers tear up steering head bearings and races frequently. Check for flat spots, or tight spots when moving the handle bars right and left. Also looseness when pointed straight ahead.
John

hbkeith

Quote from: Ironheadmike on July 11, 2019, 12:19:47 PM
Evo's are pretty much bullet proof and a lot less maintenance and cost to fix than a twin cam .
:up: :up:

david lee

Quote from: KaritheFinn on July 11, 2019, 10:24:51 AM
Thanks, guys. Bike has been sitting for the past 18 months so let's see if it runs and how well - old gas need to be replaced etc.
if that has been sitting that long no way will that start if the carby wasnt draind prior to storage

Burnout

Early 94 back all have the messed up narrow rear sprocket that will come loose and eat the splines.

A left side trans leak is a giveaway on these.

Sometimes you can see if the sprocket has a single lock screw (or none because it has sheared off) that is the early narrow hub sprocket.

If it has the 2 bolt locking tab it is the updated style that won't fall off.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Finn

It turned out to be a -97. And here it is at home.  :smile:

Norton Commando

Quote from: Burnout on July 11, 2019, 09:28:52 PM
Early 94 back all have the messed up narrow rear sprocket that will come loose and eat the splines.

A left side trans leak is a giveaway on these.

Sometimes you can see if the sprocket has a single lock screw (or none because it has sheared off) that is the early narrow hub sprocket.

If it has the 2 bolt locking tab it is the updated style that won't fall off.

I agree. My '90 EVO had that problem.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Hossamania

Well, you didn't say it was a BadBoy, I really like those bikes. Looks good!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Finn

Thanks, Hoss.  :beer:

I wasn't sure and I had to see it first.

Was an interesting trip home: front tyre seemed low and I stopped to put some air in it but the rear one looked OK. Bike was a bit of a handful in roundabouts and intersections. At home I noticed the rear was at about 12 psi. It being a Metzeler Marathon it kept it's shape nevertheless. One should not assume...  :embarrassed: Marathon is from year 2000 so it is time for new tyres.

Bought a pair of Hiflo filters and a some Valvoline VR1 20W50 - old oil was black but I have seen worse. Need to change the plugs still so off to the shop now.

Them Screamin' Eagle slip-ons are a bit too loud but they will have to do for now.

Pete_Vit

July 12, 2019, 08:09:36 AM #17 Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 10:23:10 AM by Pete_Vit
my 96's base gaskets started to weep after about 103,000 miles, my cam, cam bearing were replaced due to a tweeker of a wrench I had working on the motor before I had time to.
if a Springer, the neck bearing and rockers 'should' be replaced. 
added later  :emoGroan:
:doh: finally seen the pix, nice lookin Springer - enjoy
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

SixShooter14

Nice buy Kari, a little TLC and she'll be scooting along just fine.

screem

Congrats on that BAD BOY.. one of my favorite evos!!! looks great, best of luck with it

Mark222

Awesome find.  I too, love that 3 year model....

Mark

92flhtcu

Nice looking Bad Boy, don't see too many of those. Lifters are a 25k to 30k maint item on my Evo's
Need a bigger garage

rageglide

Nice find.   Always liked the FXSTS's.  Badboy or standard models.

Get the proper grease for the neck bearings, invest in a neck bearing installer and remover tool, then plan on replacing the bearings every 10k or so.  Like Larry said the springer is hard on neck bearings, first sign is notchy self centering behavior.

nmainehunter

My last two machines were FX springers, 94 and 95 which is a Badboy. I love them,the springers aren't weak.I changed the bearings on the 94 after 40k but they really didn't need it. I like to play with them so I changed out the cam bearing and added an EV27 to the 94 and the same with the 95 but put a EV46 cam in it and good Cometec gaskets. The 95 I bought 3 yrs ago and it only had 2300 miles on it so it sat and was hardly used but there were no issues and I've had non except for my tinkering and I do that in the winter. Enjoy your bike.

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.