March 28, 2024, 02:58:06 PM

News:

Mid 90s Evos - anything special to watch for?

Started by Finn, July 11, 2019, 05:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FSG

Quote from: KaritheFinn on July 12, 2019, 05:20:02 AM
It turned out to be a -97. And here it is at home.  :smile:

nice ......  I need to find something like that

Finn

Thank you, guys, for kind words and advises. I will "try" not to let it get out of hand so first tires and normal maintenance including brakes - that should do it for a while.
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

Langwilliams

very cool bike...I'd like to have a springer, but I'd want to add some rake to the front. I like the 96+ bikes for the better controls an connectors an no speedo cable. enjoy

Harpo

I believe '97 (and '98) were 2 years that HD went to the tight clearance rod bearings (why - no one knows for certain - oil control?).  with the jugs off, pistons removed, you can position a rod so it isn't resting on the spigot hole and it will STAY where you position it!  Most rebuilders say that it isn't a good idea to get too carried away with hot rodding these engines without opening up the rod clearances a bit.  Just some information to keep in mind.  Nice bike though.

Burnout

Doesn't that clearance open up when the motor is hot?
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

kd

Quote from: Harpo on July 16, 2019, 10:36:32 AM
I believe '97 (and '98) were 2 years that HD went to the tight clearance rod bearings (why - no one knows for certain - oil control?).  with the jugs off, pistons removed, you can position a rod so it isn't resting on the spigot hole and it will STAY where you position it!  Most rebuilders say that it isn't a good idea to get too carried away with hot rodding these engines without opening up the rod clearances a bit.  Just some information to keep in mind.  Nice bike though.

Quote from: Burnout on July 16, 2019, 01:18:51 PM
Doesn't that clearance open up when the motor is hot?

I don't think it was intended or on all engines.  Most 98's were tight and it became known as a 98 issue.  I have 2 and they both "were" tight as described.  I was told by a couple of techs and a dealer friend that the MOCO had a goodwill campaign for a few years after warranty to fix failures but mine were noticed too late.  To be clear, mine did not fail but were noticed when freshening the engine and the barrels were removed.  I fixed mine and added the later model crank pins with better oil galleries etc.. 
KD

Finn

No tuning yet, just a couple of heat cycles.
EV13, about 9.0:1, mild cleaning of the heads, Dyna 2000i and Supermeg 2-1.
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

Ironheadmike

Swap out the cam bearing and you'll be good to go .

Finn

Yep, we did that.  :up: And the springer steering head bearings as well.

roadkingdresser

Had a 92 flhtc and on a long trip pa. to colorado kept getting this oil leak. Turned out it was the engine case was seeping oil, from what i was told the casting was pouris when the cases were made. Not sure how many were like that.
roadkingdresser

Finn

Clutch and brake levers are some cheap chrome junk and loose. Found the original aluminum levers in the box but brake lever is bent so need new one/ones.

Kury Silhouette levers too blingy or just about right?  :teeth:

14Frisco

JW113

The fact that the brake lever is bent means the bike might have fallen over on the right side at some time, an all to common situation. The fact that it only bent and did not break is a testament to the toughness of the stock levers. Personally I'd look for a stock lever, either new (~$50) or on eBay. Many dudes replace the stock levers for the froo-froo chromo parts and sell the stockers for cheap. Part number is 45016-96.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Burnout

Yep I bought some Ergo levers for my 87 chrome is falling off....

Finn

Dyno session tomorrow. Fingers crossed for 70+ hp - although I'm not holding my breath...  :teeth:

Burnout

I don't understand why folks spend the bucks for a dyno session and only focus on peak HP.

Horse Power is a mathematical expression embraced by marketeers who want to impress FARMERS!

:doh:  rant deleted....   

Finn

We'll, I'm spending my Euros for tomorrow's dyno session to get the bike jetted, ignition adjusted/checked and Supermeg dialed in. I'm mostly interested in maximising the area under curve, we'll see.  :pop:

14Frisco

Ask for the run files when they are done (e.g. bring a usb stick or have them emailed to you) - it makes it easier to create and post charts.

Here is a link to the result of the tuning session a few years back of my 1994 FLHR w/ Supermeg, incl. testing w/ open and closed endcap and various discs - 1994, 80", FLHR, V-Thunder 3030, Supertrapp Supermeg

Finn

It was a fun day.  :smile:

This is the only graph I  have at the moment and that has torque in Nm and DIN values.

SAE figures I believe are around 70 hp and 83 lb-ft.

It runs very, very well but in the dyno it appears to have a stubborn rich area from around 2000 rpm to 4000. From 4000 onwards AFR is good. Rich middle starts just when you open the throttle, sort of like accelerator pump would pump too much but everything seems to be OK there.

Tried some combos with HD needle and jets but it was even worse with those - not so many different needles in stock. With Dynojet kit stuff it was better but with Dynojet spring it got worse.

For the moment we ended with Dynojet needle with circlip in 4th groove from the top and 160 main jet. Slow jet was 45, IIRC. Supermeg has closed end cap (open not in stock right now) and all 20 discs.

Probably would run very well as it is on the road but we will look at this again when the season starts.

Hossamania

Looks like fun, I'll bet that really woke that motor up.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.