March 28, 2024, 05:02:29 AM

News:

Has anybody seen this before?

Started by Paniolo, July 07, 2019, 08:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paniolo

I got my bike back from the shop, it got a new stator, rotor, transmission shifter sleeve, and shifter pawl arm.

They told me that the "U" Bracket under my tourpack was cracked and needed replacement. It looks to be pretty straight forward nuts and bolts kind of job, so I ordered the part online from Ronnies. Looking at the bracket, I can see that BOTH tabs that secure it to the fender supports and saddlebag mounts are broken off.

Attached is a microfiche picture of the part. The broken tabs are where screw #4 and washer #6 attach to the fender support.

Is this the result of 98k miles? I love this bike, but it seems like age and vibration are taking it's toll on all kinds of stuff.

Mark
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

road-dawgs1

I've seen the tour pak bars crack before. Sometimes people overload their paks and over time they give way.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

Paniolo

Quote from: road-dawgs1 on July 07, 2019, 08:50:18 AM
I've seen the tour pak bars crack before. Sometimes people overload their paks and over time they give way.

I've seen that too, however this bracket doesn't support the tourpack. It connects to the saddle bag fender supports, and the license plate bracket. It's more of a support bracket than load bearing. But I could be wrong.

Mark

Hossamania

Things happen. Age and vibration take their toll. Check your bottom support bracket for the fender as well, they are also prone to cracking.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

truck

Around the 2002 model year there was a design change to the bracket that holds the tour pack due to a high number of breaking brackets. My son's 2000 broke and my 2001 broke. Neither one had near that kind of mileage though.

EDIT OOPS Different bracket, sorry.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

HarleyCharley

That bracket broke on my '02 ultra classic and I almost lost the tourpac. I keep a closer check on it now...lol!

charley

Paniolo

Quote from: HarleyCharley on July 07, 2019, 05:24:25 PM
That bracket broke on my '02 ultra classic and I almost lost the tourpac. I keep a closer check on it now...lol!

charley

Charley.

Looking at mine, they are broken clean through, on both sides. However, from what I can tell they do not support the tour pack, that's the job of the larger bracket that holds the stereo amp and mounts to the side of the fender and frame. This one appears to mount to both of the saddlebag side mounts, and the license plate mount.

It looks like it's been broken for some time, including my most recent 3,500 mile ride to Arizona and back. I'm just thankful the bags didn't fall off somewhere in AZ.

Looks like it's just plain old high cycle metal fatigue from 13 years and 98K of riding.

skunk

I have broken a couple of the upper "loops" that bolt direct to the bottom of the tour pack. I haven't seen  the lower one break there though, and I thought I had broken everything possible on a bagger. Gonna have to step up my game :wink:. On the uppers they seam to break thru the center of the forward bolt holes. Last one I broke I machined a sleeve and pressed, welded it inside the tube and re-drilled the hole. Never broke again. I can be of the mindset of "If it fits(inside or on top) It ships" and have been guilty of over loading the TP once, maybe twice. The sleeving trick works.

Hossamania

Broken bag and tour pak mounts? Child's play.

[attach=0]
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Paniolo

Here's the old one. It took me about two hours to change it out. I thought I was going to have to remove the tour pack to get access. All I needed to do was flip the tour pack up and over onto the seat frame. The most difficult part was getting all the holes lined up to thread the bolts through. Hopefully it will be good for another 98K.

Let's see, I've replaced the fairing brackets up front, torn up the rubber isolator for the horn, replaced both shifter arms and the transmission splined shaft pawl, and now this bracket out back. What's next? It's been a good bike, but vibration is a killer.

Tacocaster

It looks like that screamer you had on back hanging'-on to the ya-hoo bar on one of your more "aggressive" passes got an adrenaline rush!
If true, ya might double-check the bottoms of your pipes for holes from excessive grinding while your up on the jacks.  :wink:
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.