March 28, 2024, 01:39:48 PM

News:

gas tank size

Started by waltcentral, July 11, 2019, 02:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waltcentral

I assume my 1983 FLH has a 5 gal tank. The tank and tins appear to be new at some point. Tank has zero rust inside and inner fenders are clean. The service manual says:
FLH/FLHS.........TOTAL..........5 or 3.5 Gallons (US)
                       Reserve                    1.2 or 1 Gallons (US)

The bike has a Pingle petcock that goes on reserve around 2.2 Gal.
Looking inside the tank it is hard to tell how much fuel is left.  Are there any measurements I can do to the tank exterior to tell?

david lee

drain it in to a container with measurements on it

Hossamania

Bring along a measured amount of fuel, go for a ride, run it out, add the carry fuel, got to a station and fill it, and note how much fuel it takes.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

96flhpi

The Pingel on my 5 gal tanks goes to reserve at about 4 gal.  Try to find rider view pics of bikes with 3.5 vs 5 gal tanks it's easy to see the difference.  The fillers are much closer to the rounded sides on the 3.5s.

waltcentral

Hossamania

They look like my old 4 gallon tanks on my '95 Heritage.

96flhpi

Yeah Hoss they don't look as big as my 5 nor as small as the 3.5s.  You have a pic from a lower angle?  Often the fillers look a little tilted (not parallel with ground) on the 3.5, at least from the pics I've seen.

waltcentral

not great pics but the fill caps do not really seem to angle out like some 3.5's

waltcentral

One4Tone

if you have a working speedo..you can use the mileage as a guide...

waltcentral

Rode today until reserve came on then 12-15 miles to the gas station. For the first time I opened both caps while bike on the jiffy stand I filled the left and capped it and then the right.
Took 4.2 gallons.
I assumed with the crossover I was good.  Good chance of 5 gal tanks.

96flhpi

Definitely 5s, which are rarely exactly 5 BTW.

Hossamania

Quote from: waltcentral on July 13, 2019, 11:34:46 AM
Rode today until reserve came on then 12-15 miles to the gas station. For the first time I opened both caps while bike on the jiffy stand I filled the left and capped it and then the right.
Took 4.2 gallons.
I assumed with the crossover I was good.  Good chance of 5 gal tanks.

The reserve on those tanks was 1/2 gallon, I believe. At 40 mpg, if you went 15 miles, you almost burned out all the reserve fuel (20 miles of reserve), so the 4.2 gallons you added was almost the maximum they hold.

96flhpi

My experience is reserve with a Pingel on 5 gal tanks is about a gallon.  IIRC with the original petcock reserve was less than a gallon.

Hossamania

I forgot that it had a Pingel petcock, that will change the reserve from stock.
The only true way to know, run it completely out and fill it back up.

fleetmechanic

The 3.5 gallon tanks were discontinued in the mid 1970s about the time the last hand shift versions were made in 1978.  We have a 1975 with 3.5 gallon tanks and handshift.

david lee

Quote from: fleetmechanic on July 14, 2019, 11:50:08 AM
The 3.5 gallon tanks were discontinued in the mid 1970s about the time the last hand shift versions were made in 1978.  We have a 1975 with 3.5 gallon tanks and handshift.
my 80 lowrider has 3.5 tanks

96flhpi

Fairly certain the FX models have the smaller tanks up to present.  I guess it's just tank now not tanks though.

fleetmechanic

I should have said the 3.5 tanks were discontinued on the FL models.  But looking in the 41-84 parts book shows 1 # for 3.5 gal. tanks from '69-'77 and another # for 1978-what was then the present.  So I dunno.

96flhpi

Either way, tanks are easily replaceable and the 3.5 and 5 gal tanks for a 4 speed frame are interchangeable.  OP has a new to him 35yo bike.  Good approach not to assume they're 5 gal just because they're supposed to be.

david lee

when i used to repair and paint harleys i used to widen tanks to take 7 gallons

bump

Back in the late 70s early 80s Harley put 3.5 or 5 gallon tanks on different bikes. Not all flt had 5 gallon tanks and not all fx had 3.5. The tanks are interchangeable.

david lee

new aftermarket tanks were crap and had to be repaired

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: david lee on July 16, 2019, 04:06:04 PM

The aftermarket tanks from Mexico on my 76 FLH have been patched a couple times. Trashed the originals in an incident in 2003.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

david lee

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on July 16, 2019, 06:38:08 PM
Quote from: david lee on July 16, 2019, 04:06:04 PM

The aftermarket tanks from Mexico on my 76 FLH have been patched a couple times. Trashed the originals in an incident in 2003.
even used genuine are better