May 01, 2024, 07:57:18 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Is this a grounding issue?

Started by Paniolo, July 13, 2019, 06:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paniolo

2006 CVO Ultra Classic.

I went out for a ride today, total of 300 miles. Temps were in the high 90s, and the road surface varied from smooth pavement to chewed up. I mention this because on a couple of occasions the bike hit some holes that rocked me pretty good.

About 40 miles into our return, I lost all instrumentation. Speedo, Tach, Fuel, Oil, and Volt needles were all down. I had turn signal indicators, and high beam indicator. On the speedo the Red Security light was on. The cig accy plug was working too. The odometer was stuck at 40.7 and did not register miles. The Cruise Control indicator light was out, but the cruise itself worked.

When I got home I pulled the side cover and checked all the fuses with a multi-meter. All read continuity, the fuses were good. I held the speedo reset button down and turned the ignition on the pull codes. Nothing happened. Not even the usual "diag" came up. Only the mileage. The instrument backlights worked.

My understanding of electrical is minimal, so forgive me if my trouble shooting methods are faulty.

Since all the fuses are good, could the issue be a common ground for the instruments?
Could one of the jarring potholes pulled or loosened a ground wire?
Where should I start looking?
How should I start looking?

In addition to hand tools and the ability to take the fairing off, I have a multimeter and a 12v test light at my disposal.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mark

Life can only be lived in the present moment.

86fxwg

Ford automotive diagnostics uses what they call a wiggle test. Start wiggling & pulling on wires & plugs. Without a diagram & a very good understanding of electronics this may be your best bet.

To check Powers & grounds properly u need a little more equipment. A holegen sealed beam head light works perfect for checking these.
A multi meter isn't the tool to use for this.

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

smoserx1

Take a look at the wiring diagram for the 2006 touring models.   It looks like all of the power for the gauges comes from an orange and black wire.  Obviously the orange will be +12V and the black ground.  The voltmeter only uses these two.  The other gauges have another wire each which I guess supplies the "value signal" (for lack of a better term).  The thing that surprises me is you say you have back lighting and power for the lighting seems to come from the same orange and black supply as the gauge power.  Good luck, the wiring diagram is the first place to look.

Paniolo

Quote from: 86fxwg on July 13, 2019, 07:43:27 PMTo check Powers & grounds properly u need a little more equipment. A holegen sealed beam head light works perfect for checking these.

How about the 12V test light?

fleetmechanic

With the outer fairing off go to the silver bracket that is held down on the top of the upper fork clamp by the steering head nut.  The ground connections that are made here are done using 1/4" spade connectors onto the bracket tabs.  Make sure one of them didn't slip off.

86fxwg

Quote from: Paniolo on July 13, 2019, 07:45:45 PM
Quote from: 86fxwg on July 13, 2019, 07:43:27 PMTo check Powers & grounds properly u need a little more equipment. A holegen sealed beam head light works perfect for checking these.

How about the 12V test light?

Nope...it doesn't load the circuit(s).

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Paniolo

Quote from: fleetmechanic on July 13, 2019, 07:50:38 PM
With the outer fairing off go to the silver bracket that is held down on the top of the upper fork clamp by the steering head nut.  The ground connections that are made here are done using 1/4" spade connectors onto the bracket tabs.  Make sure one of them didn't slip off.

Will do. Does it sound like a grounding issue to you?

86fxwg

Verrrrry possible. If not start wiggling connections.

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Scotty

Broken wire in the loom around the neck area is a possibility as well.

rigidthumper

Another thing to look at is the wire loom that feeds the gauges, under the fairing, where it can rub on the fairing supports. I've found many small cuts that induced shorts to ground or opens because of those supports.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

fleetmechanic

:agree:  We've seen both of the 2 issues mentioned just above.  A good jolt could have caused a wire fail as they are thin wires to start with.  Check carefully at the P-clamps riveted to the side of the frame neck.