March 28, 2024, 11:32:18 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Help needed undertsnding equalizer settings on Sony head unit

Started by klammer76, July 15, 2019, 08:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klammer76

I recently had my Sony MEX70BT go south on me. I replaced it with a Sony MEX GS620BT (basically the same unit with newer but not necessarily better features IMO). I need help understanding and setting the custom equalizer. My bike has a Biketronics 75 watt amp with Kenwood 5 1/4 speakers. I know the speakers are small but they have worked well and they are all I can use right now as I have frenched in turn signals in my fairing and can't fit 6.5's.

On my last unit, I received info from Gordonr set the base settings to 0. This helped a lot and I could play volume at 35 and hear the music clear and fine. I can't find the rest of the info. This stereo has 10 bands and I have no idea what is base, treble, etc. I tried it on the preset EQ of Rock but it sounded like crap just like the origional MEX70 did. I can't get the settings out of the old stereo.

These are the bands:

Band 1 - 32HZ

Band 2 - 63HZ

Band 3 - 125HZ

Band 4 - 250HZ

Band 5 - 500HZ

Band 6 - 1K HZ

Band 7 - 2K HZ

Band 8 - 4K HZ

Band 9 - 8K HZ

Band 10 - 16K HZ

All are at 0 DB now and adjust to -6 to +6

There are other settings also AAV (advanced auto volume), C Audio (Clear Audio), Position ( L ft, R ft, Center ft), DSO (Dynamic stage organizer), DSEE (Digital Sound Enhancement Engine), HPF, HPF Freq, HPF SLOP, BTA Vol.

Any help with these settings is appreciated, they are Greek to me. Which ones are base, Treble etc? I mostly listen to an ipod with rock, blues, country etc. I do remember that when I got the base out of the old stereo it helped a lot.

Nothing is easy anymore. The handlebar switches don't work either at the moment. Working with Biketronics on that.

Thanks,
klammer

cbumdumb

No expert but bands 1,2 are bass bands 3,4 mid bass to midrange 5,7midrange 8,10 highs . For now leave the do's off and all the other add on's.

klammer76

Quote from: cbumdumb on July 16, 2019, 05:34:39 AM
No expert but bands 1,2 are bass bands 3,4 mid bass to midrange 5,7midrange 8,10 highs . For now leave the do's off and all the other add on's.

Thanks. So I assume set bands 1, 2 at -6? Wold that shut off the base? How about the mid base? What are the do's? and are saying leave other add on's on?

Thanks

klammer76

Does anyone know how to contact Gordonr? His PM box is full.

Hossamania

Quote from: klammer76 on July 17, 2019, 04:55:55 AM

There is an email option on his profile page.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

klammer76

Quote from: Hossamania on July 17, 2019, 05:27:16 AM
Quote from: klammer76 on July 17, 2019, 04:55:55 AM

There is an email option on his profile page.
Thanks Hoss. I shot him an email.

gordonr

Hey "klammer76" sorry about missing your post. I don't sell that model but I took a quick look at the manual and have few questions . 1st Do you have the App. 2nd how many speakers on your bike and there sizes.
"If was easy everyone would do it"

Pete_Vit

No expert but bands 1,2 are bass bands 3,4 mid bass to midrange 5,7 midrange 8,10 highs . For now leave the do's off and all the other add on's.
I have the same unit in my car, if you download the APP the equalizer settings are easier to modify sony music center app  :up:
there are crossover settings for a SUB also if you have one, you can set it manually from 80hz down to 50hz IIRC, those frequencies are the low bass, anything from 125 to 500 hz is good midrange (guitar, vocals) anying above is your higher fq sounds like cymbals, snare drum.... 
gotta play with the EQ setting until you find a setting you like. I eventually went back to the presets and never looked back.

found this in my documents at work;

Understanding Frequency - What does What

A lot of you know that I am a bit of an sq fiend, I am one of the few people on here that often turns of the sub just to check it's still running...I personally like sub bass as an anchor for the low end and to add warmth to the music. To me, mid and midbass is the key.

Mid and Midbass IS critical. let's look at the frequency response of some instruments and see where all the action is. I am not going to go into the the differences of Fundemental and Harmonic frequencies, and how they interact (I can if need be), this is more of an overview of what frequencies make up what.

For those of us who listen to acoustic music, apposed to synthesised dance music, for want of a better description, I shall take some drums, bass guitar, electric guitar, and vocals.

I shall work through the frequencies rather than the instruements, as this will allow us to see where there are complimentary frequencies (different instruments produce the same sound).

50hz (usually sub bass)
this freq is where all the boom is, if you want more boom on foot drums and bass guitar, boost, to reduce, cut.

100hz( usually mid bass)
this is the hard bass sound, it gives drums that solid feel, boosting here will harden the drums/bass guitar, as well as adding warmth to guitars. A cut will reduce boom on guitar and add clarity.

200hz (either midbass/mid)
Boost to add warmth to vocals and guitar, reduce to clean up vocals

400hz (usually mid / large Horn)
Boost to bass in general, reduce to decrease cardboard sound low drums.

800hz(usually mid/horns)
Boost to add clarity and Punch to bass, this is the one that digs you in the ribs , cut to reduce tinnyness to guitars

1.5khz (mid/tweet/horns)
Boost to add clarity to bass guitar, reduce to impreve dullness of guitar

3khz (mid/tweet/horns)
Boost to increase pluck on bass guitar, attack on guitar and high drums, increases clarity of vocals.
Cut to reduce breathy sound on vocals.

5khz(mid/tweet/horns)
boost for vocal presence, low drum attack, piano attack, and guitars, reduce to distance background.

7khz(usually tweet/horn)
boost, more attack on low drums, percussion and bring life to dull vocals, also sharpen elctric guitar
Cut to reduce siblance

10khz (tweet/horn)
increase to brighten vocals/guitar and piano
cut to reduce siblance

15khz (tweet/horn)
increase to brighten vocals/guitar and piano highs

I have the manual online if you want a copy just PM me !
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

klammer76

Quote from: gordonr on July 18, 2019, 03:49:49 AM
Hey "klammer76" sorry about missing your post. I don't sell that model but I took a quick look at the manual and have few questions . 1st Do you have the App. 2nd how many speakers on your bike and there sizes.
No problem gordonr. I don't have an app but I did for the older MEX70BT and that made it easier like Pete_vit said. The app I had is no longer suported by Apple (I have an iPhone). If there is a new one out I will down load it, is it Songplay?

Currently, I run two Kenwood 5 1/4 speakers in my fairing. Can't go any bigger at this point due to my frenched in signal light boxes in my fairing. Once I get the setting correct they work well with the older BT 75watt amp. The issue I have now (as before with the MEX70BT) is the distortion at the upper volume level (30 and up). I remember you telling me before to take out all the base and that was the key. Forgot what I did with the treble. I think you said to set to Center for the speakers also and gave some tips on the auto volume control etc. I looked at you tube and have a little better understanding now of what the bands are. To take out the base do I go to the first two bands and set them at -6 or do I leave them at 0? I don't know what to do with the other bands (3-10). By removing the base last time it cleaned up the sound and I could run up to 35 or so on volume. Using the ROCK preset now, it doesn't want to take a lot of volume. Hank Jr came on and I heard the base right away and turned it down, didn't want to blow a speaker and sounded distorted.

I'm going to write this stuff down this time when I get it dialed in. If your PM is open I can PM you some info and a phone number.

Thanks,
klammer

klammer76

Quote from: Pete_Vit on July 18, 2019, 06:40:37 AM
No expert but bands 1,2 are bass bands 3,4 mid bass to midrange 5,7 midrange 8,10 highs . For now leave the do's off and all the other add on's.
I have the same unit in my car, if you download the APP the equalizer settings are easier to modify sony music center app  :up:
there are crossover settings for a SUB also if you have one, you can set it manually from 80hz down to 50hz IIRC, those frequencies are the low bass, anything from 125 to 500 hz is good midrange (guitar, vocals) anying above is your higher fq sounds like cymbals, snare drum.... 
gotta play with the EQ setting until you find a setting you like. I eventually went back to the presets and never looked back.

A lot of you know that I am a bit of an sq fiend, I am one of the few people on here that often turns of the sub just to check it's still running...I personally like sub bass as an anchor for the low end and to add warmth to the music. To me, mid and midbass is the key.

Mid and Midbass IS critical. let's look at the frequency response of some instruments and see where all the action is. I am not going to go into the the differences of Fundemental and Harmonic frequencies, and how they interact (I can if need be), this is more of an overview of what frequencies make up what.

For those of us who listen to acoustic music, apposed to synthesised dance music, for want of a better description, I shall take some drums, bass guitar, electric guitar, and vocals.

I shall work through the frequencies rather than the instruements, as this will allow us to see where there are complimentary frequencies (different instruments produce the same sound).

50hz (usually sub bass)
this freq is where all the boom is, if you want more boom on foot drums and bass guitar, boost, to reduce, cut.

100hz( usually mid bass)
this is the hard bass sound, it gives drums that solid feel, boosting here will harden the drums/bass guitar, as well as adding warmth to guitars. A cut will reduce boom on guitar and add clarity.

800hz(usually mid/horns)
Boost to add clarity and Punch to bass, this is the one that digs you in the ribs , cut to reduce tinnyness to guitars

1.5khz (mid/tweet/horns)

3khz (mid/tweet/horns)
Boost to increase pluck on bass guitar, attack on guitar and high drums, increases clarity of vocals.

5khz(mid/tweet/horns)
boost for vocal presence, low drum attack, piano attack, and guitars, reduce to distance background.

7khz(usually tweet/horn)
boost, more attack on low drums, percussion and bring life to dull vocals, also sharpen elctric guitar
Cut to reduce siblance

10khz (tweet/horn)
cut to reduce siblance

15khz (tweet/horn)

Thank Pete. So it looks like I need to remove base from bands 1&2, then concentrate on bands 3,4&5 to get some decent sound. 6 thru 10 may not apply for my 2 speaker set up? I don't have a sub etc.

What is the app? I had a Sony app on my iPhone 5s back in 2015 that I used that sounds like what you have. I tried it last year on my former stereo but it is no longer supported by ios I believe is what it said. Does Songplay cover this?

All my music is from an iPod or phone connected to the stereo via cord. I don't care for how the music sounds when using bluetooth (then again, I probably don't have it set up correctly).

Thanks,
klammer

Thanks

gordonr

Start with this;

- Bands 1 & 2 set to -6
- set the HPF to on and adjust the freq to 80hz
- set the slope to 6db

All other EQ bands can be set to your ear and preference per song. Remember, each song will be different and you can certainly end up in a trial and error rabbit hole but you will learn the difference in the way each frequency sounds for certain.
"If was easy everyone would do it"

Pete_Vit

Quote from: klammer76 on July 18, 2019, 07:27:29 AM
Quote from: Pete_Vit on July 18, 2019, 06:40:37 AM

50hz (usually sub bass)

100hz( usually mid bass)

800hz(usually mid/horns)

1.5khz (mid/tweet/horns)

3khz (mid/tweet/horns)

5khz(mid/tweet/horns)

7khz(usually tweet/horn)
Cut to reduce siblance

10khz (tweet/horn)
cut to reduce siblance

15khz (tweet/horn)

Thank Pete. So it looks like I need to remove base from bands 1&2, then concentrate on bands 3,4&5 to get some decent sound. 6 thru 10 may not apply for my 2 speaker set up? I don't have a sub etc.

What is the app? I had a Sony app on my iPhone 5s back in 2015 that I used that sounds like what you have. I tried it last year on my former stereo but it is no longer supported by ios I believe is what it said. Does Songplay cover this?

All my music is from an iPod or phone connected to the stereo via cord. I don't care for how the music sounds when using bluetooth (then again, I probably don't have it set up correctly).

Thanks,
klammer

Thanks
Your welcome, the APP was changed a couple years ago, I forget what they called, it but the new one is called "Sony Music Center" if you select your source as BT audio and pair your phone it will automatically start the APP, from there you can select your music source, setting and advanced settings, the advanced setting let you choose the balance, fader, gain....etc using a GUI interface. IIRC you'll need to download the advanced feature APP also  :crook:

klammer76

Thank you to all. Got the new Biketronics controller and set the EQ. Taking the base out as gordonor suggested before and playing with the mid and high has the sound back to where I had it on the old stereo. I found a youtube video that showed the settings for presets and that also helped. Still tweaking but all is good now  :up:

Pete_Vit

Quote from: klammer76 on July 22, 2019, 07:35:48 PM
Thank you to all. Got the new Biketronics controller and set the EQ. Taking the base out as gordonor suggested before and playing with the mid and high has the sound back to where I had it on the old stereo. I found a youtube video that showed the settings for presets and that also helped. Still tweaking but all is good now  :up:
:up: the only issue I had was the BT, there are 2 sources you can specify for BT, but the head unit seems to get confused and you have to specify which audio source you want to use, so it's not automagic. USB seems to sound better so I mostly use that input - good luck and enjoy 

klammer76

Quote from: Pete_Vit on July 23, 2019, 05:37:11 AM
:up: the only issue I had was the BT, there are 2 sources you can specify for BT, but the head unit seems to get confused and you have to specify which audio source you want to use, so it's not automagic. USB seems to sound better so I mostly use that input - good luck and enjoy
I found the same thing on my earlier stereo, USB was better than BT.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: klammer76 on July 23, 2019, 08:18:55 PM
Quote from: Pete_Vit on July 23, 2019, 05:37:11 AM
I found the same thing on my earlier stereo, USB was better than BT.
:up: Indeed