March 28, 2024, 01:00:00 PM

News:

Going to install new grips.

Started by Panzer, July 21, 2019, 06:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzer

07' Custom..................
Over the years the originals have turned sticky, tried talc on them and it was only a temp fix.
Going to install "new" Kuryakyn ISO grips with throttle boss.
Anything I should be aware of before I unbutton the housing?
Glue, springs, wires, cables??
Looking for suggestions and recommendations.
TIA,
Panz
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Hossamania

Put a piece of cardboard between the brake handle and perch to hold the brake handle open a bit, this to clear the brake switch when reassembling.
Don't lose the shoe for the throttle lock when you disassemble tne throttle side assembly.
Use a light lube under the grip on the throttle grip. I prefer a silicone spray lube.
Lube the throttle cables as long as they are apart.
Don't lose the ferrules on the throttle cables.
After assembly, make sure the cables open all the way to the stop on the throttle body.
Adjust the cables close to final spec with the top cover off so you can make sure you dont over adjust one cable, you want the pull cable to be lower in the housing, it will make sense when you see it, then final adjustment with the cover on.
You may or may not need to cut the old grip off on rthe left side due to glue.
Should be no need to glue the new left grip, it should be captured by the control assembly.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Paniolo

Consider Avon heated grips. You'll wonder how you did without them.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

Breeze

Take a few minutes to sit on the bike with an ISO grip in each hand and determine just where you want the slightly "egg" shape to be (rotation wise). It makes a difference when riding that they are where your hand naturally falls on them. Make sure to use locktite on the tiny Throttle Boss screws. I didn't, and had to source a couple more. As small as the Boss is, I find it very helpful.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

72fl

Yes check out the Avons, really nice choices of Grips and the Kuryakyn have an odd odor to them actually, they Stink  :scratch:

Tynker

Quote from: Panzer on July 21, 2019, 06:59:42 PM
07' Custom..................
Over the years the originals have turned sticky, tried talc on them and it was only a temp fix.
Going to install "new" Kuryakyn ISO grips with throttle boss.
Anything I should be aware of before I unbutton the housing?
Glue, springs, wires, cables??
Looking for suggestions and recommendations.
TIA,
Panz

Get this Throttle Boss, you won't be sorry;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ISO-Throttle-Boss-For-Harley-Softail-Fat-Boy-FLSTF-FXSTI-Night-Train-Grip/162843708792?epid=14024598172&hash=item25ea3dcd78:g:As0AAOSw4EhaVVxw
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Panzer

Thanks Hoss will take it slow and easy.  :up:

Tynker, the grips ordered have the throttle boss included.

72fl, will give them a sniff before installed.

Breeze, will check that position out.  :up:

Paniolo, I don't intend to ride in the cold but thx anyway.

Thanks all.  :up: .........  :beer: on me.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Panzer

Finally got the new Kuryakyn ISO grips with throttle boss and installed them.
The old grips were pretty well shot.
If you want to spend needless time, just install new grips.  :emoGroan:
The cable ferrules (brass) are a real joy to install.
The new grips had to have the ferrule holes enlarged by a rat tail file, as the ferrules wouldn't go in.
After fitting the ferrules into the grip (on the table) then the fun started putting the grip on the table and ferrules into the ferrule holes.
If you have three hands and needle nose fingers the job would be easy.
The third hand is used to hold up the switch housing. (I used a zip tie to hold it up)
I kept thinking that if I drop a ferrule, I'll never find the little suckers, even though my garage floor is clean.
It honestly took me 1/2 hour putting those suckers in place, with cables.  :emoGroan:

I'll adjust the throttle boss tomorrow.
I like the feel of the ISO grips, they are fatter then the originals but, a few rides will tell the real story.
Job completed.  :koolaid3:

Hossamania

Congrats on a job well done! Welcome to the special club of elite few...

Panzer

Quote from: Hossamania on July 25, 2019, 08:46:45 PM
Congrats on a job well done! Welcome to the special club of elite few...

Thanks Brother, do I get any kind of a trophy or metal?  :hyst:
Did I mention those little freak'in ferrules?

Hossamania

Those ferrules are what separate the men from the boys!
Your prize is a couple of worn out grips to throw in the spare parts box.

Panzer

Here's an update on these Kuryakyn throttle boss grips.
I went to Kuryakyn web site and the price was $89.99.
Gotta be something less expensive so I checked Dennis Kirk online.
Dennis came in at $80.99............getting better!
Not satisfied, I checked in with E-Bay and came up with $60.99...Much better with a savings of $20.00 from Kuryakyn's price.
I can live with that and a "send back if not satisfied" guarantee from the E-Bay dealer.

Now, a word here, I had to file down both Ferrules as they would not go into the ferrules cable holes.
No instructions came with the set.
Once that was done, all went together ok.
BTW, no glue was sent with grips so maybe I got knock offs.
I reality, I like the feel of the grips but I haven't got use to the throttle boss lever, time will tell.
The throttle boss is easily removed if so desired.

Panz

Hossamania

The few times I've ridden a bike with the throttle boss, I found them a bit uncomfortable. Granted I didn't spend much time with them, just my observation. I'll be interested to know if you get used to them.

92flhtcu

Panzer, you probably got some Chiwan knock-offs, not that the real Kury product isn't from overseas, but I bought a bike with Iso-Grips on it and my Kury rep showed me the diff between my knock-offs and the real deal
Need a bigger garage

Panzer

Quote from: Hossamania on August 15, 2019, 06:44:12 PM
The few times I've ridden a bike with the throttle boss, I found them a bit uncomfortable. Granted I didn't spend much time with them, just my observation. I'll be interested to know if you get used to them.

Hoss, in answer to your question...............
I rode bout two weeks with the throttle boss on, and like you, found it in the way of my hand.
I could never get it to the point of feathering the throttle, I tried it with the throttle lock semi on with no luck
I guess I'm from the old school and wanted it where I'm comfortable on the throttle.
With that said, I removed the throttle boss from the grip..............back to basics for me..

Boe Cole

I have big hands and could never get happy with harley grips - always felt too small and sticky.  Replaced the grips on my last four harleys with the kurakyn iso's.  Never bothered with the throttle boss end - just looked like it would get in the way.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Panzer on July 25, 2019, 06:49:07 PM
Finally got the new Kuryakyn ISO grips with throttle boss and installed them.
The old grips were pretty well shot.
If you want to spend needless time, just install new grips.  :emoGroan:
The cable ferrules (brass) are a real joy to install.
The new grips had to have the ferrule holes enlarged by a rat tail file, as the ferrules wouldn't go in.
After fitting the ferrules into the grip (on the table) then the fun started putting the grip on the table and ferrules into the ferrule holes.
If you have three hands and needle nose fingers the job would be easy.
The third hand is used to hold up the switch housing. (I used a zip tie to hold it up)
I kept thinking that if I drop a ferrule, I'll never find the little suckers, even though my garage floor is clean.
It honestly took me 1/2 hour putting those suckers in place, with cables.  :emoGroan:

I'll adjust the throttle boss tomorrow.
I like the feel of the ISO grips, they are fatter then the originals but, a few rides will tell the real story.
Job completed.  :koolaid3:
:up:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Panzer

I couldn't get use to the throttle boss so off it came, grips are great.  :up:

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Panzer on December 18, 2019, 06:31:45 PM
I couldn't get use to the throttle boss so off it came, grips are great.  :up:
for me it seemed to change my grip position, get in the way, but you get use to it, for long trips (outside the state of del)  :smilep: you'll like it
the one I got for the trip back home, grew legs and walked away in a parking lot  :angry:

Panzer

That's a shame Pete...............freak'in thieves.
If you want, I'll put my take off in a box and mail it to you.
I have no use for it, just say the word.  :up:

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Panzer on December 19, 2019, 06:37:29 AM
That's a shame Pete...............freak'in thieves.
If you want, I'll put my take off in a box and mail it to you.
I have no use for it, just say the word.  :up:
:up: thanks for the offer, I think you should hold onto them ya never know you may plan a trip out west some day  :smilep: