March 28, 2024, 11:27:31 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Torque Cones

Started by Dogz, July 22, 2019, 09:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dogz

What's the general thought on torque cones around here? 99 fxstc evo, I've had the cones in since 500 miles, white bros porker pipe, 1-13/4 to 2-1/4. I have an eyebolt in the end each pipe 3" or so in. Had base gasket replaced, the shop took out the cones, said they did nothing. I notice when I picked my sled up, there was no out of the hole torque, starting off no torque where it was for 96k miles. The shop said they have dyno and "proved" he makes more power with them. Headin back to the shop today to pick them back up.

Ironheadmike

I was always told they were snakeoil

wfolarry

They helped if you had a chitty exhaust but exhaust systems have gotten so much better that they would hurt performance if you put them in something like a good 2 into 1.
Sounds like you need them in yours.

rigidthumper

They may make more power near redline with them removed, but I'll bet that bike makes better torque below 3500 with them installed. Porker pipes were notorious  for dips...
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Dogz

Quote from: DOGZ on July 22, 2019, 09:46:41 AM
What's the general thought on torque cones around here? 99 fxstc evo, I've had the cones in since 500 miles, white bros porker pipe, 1-13/4 to 2-1/4. I have an eyebolt in the end each pipe 3" or so in. Had base gasket replaced, the shop took out the cones, said they did nothing. I notice when I picked my sled up, there was no out of the hole torque, starting off no torque where it was for 96k miles. The shop said they have dyno and "proved" he makes more power withOUT them. Headin back to the shop today to pick them back up.

Dogz

Quote from: rigidthumper on July 22, 2019, 12:02:25 PM
They may make more power near redline with them removed, but I'll bet that bike makes better torque below 3500 with them installed. Porker pipes were notorious  for dips...

that is where i'm missing it now, on the low end rpm's.

Burnout

Quote from: DOGZ on July 23, 2019, 05:24:00 AM
Quote from: rigidthumper on July 22, 2019, 12:02:25 PM

that is where i'm missing it now, on the low end rpm's.

If you are missing power, it is because you have a poorly designed exhaust, not because of the lack of torque cones.

Torque cones are a band-aid for an exhaust that does not match the motors needs.

And by band-aid, I mean that torque cones will not restore adequate performance of a poor exhaust.

So you have this crappy exhaust that is robbing you motor of potential, and you stick a restriction in the exhaust to make it work better, and you also add something that disrupts flow at the end of the pipe. Now you have a crappy exhaust made crappier by a restriction at the head and a flow disruption at the exit, a band-aid on top of a band-aid. And you still have a crappy exhaust that is strangling your motor.

A good exhaust is like a free supercharger, it unlocks hidden efficiency and horsepower allowing your motor to run as well as it is capable of.
A good exhaust does not make power, it doesn't waste power. A bad exhaust wastes power the motor could be sending to your rear wheel.
The motor still makes the same power with a bad exhaust, it just has to work harder to get the exhaust out so that power is not available to move the bike.
A good exhaust uses the energy of the exhaust flow to draw the next exhaust pulse out of the motor, it increases the motors volumetric efficiency.
In addition a good exhaust manages the exhaust flow so that pressure waves from the pulses are not reflected back to the motor, further increasing volumetric efficiency.

Look at it this way, a torque cone is like yelling with your hand in front of your mouth, add the diffuser at the end of the pipe and that is like trying to yell at someone down the street from inside the house with your hand in front of your mouth! No sane person is going to do that, why do it to your cycle?
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Hossamania

Because it looks and sounds cool!!
Once Porkers were no longer available, Vance and Hines Longshots became quite popular.
Ask me how I know...
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

screem

Quote from: Hossamania on July 23, 2019, 09:32:06 AM
Once Porkers were no longer available, Vance and Hines Longshots became quite popular.
Ask me how I know...

+ 1 for looks good, its not always about squeezing every last drop of power for some.. with a tank shift and suicide clutch, its all about style and easy cruising

Hossamania

The torque cones were probably doing their job, giving you some low end torque, now missing without them. Put them back in.

Dogz

Quote from: Hossamania on July 24, 2019, 08:14:34 AM
The torque cones were probably doing their job, giving you some low end torque, now missing without them. Put them back in.

I would but the wrench only found 1 and I'm not sure that one was even mine. he's ordering another set.

screem

Quote from: DOGZ on July 24, 2019, 11:47:02 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on July 24, 2019, 08:14:34 AM

I would but the wrench only found 1 and I'm not sure that one was even mine. he's ordering another set.

go with what ya know !

JW113

SE-57? Um... that's quite a bit of duration there amigo. Tell me that you've done your homework and have had the heads ported and compression increased. If not, then yes the torque cones are probably doing something alright. But if you've got stock heads/pistons, I think the most likely thing to get lots of off the line torque is put a cam in that works good with stock compression. Like an EV-13 & such.

Just my opinion!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Dogz

Quote from: JW113 on July 24, 2019, 06:32:51 PM
SE-57? Um... that's quite a bit of duration there amigo. Tell me that you've done your homework and have had the heads ported and compression increased. If not, then yes the torque cones are probably doing something alright. But if you've got stock heads/pistons, I think the most likely thing to get lots of off the line torque is put a cam in that works good with stock compression. Like an EV-13 & such.

Just my opinion!

-JW

se heads, 10.5:1, se57. Had this work done about 5,000 miles ago, HD put in paper gaskets, went with cometic gaskets.

I ran a ev27 & ev5 before, with ported, polished, deck head, stock pistons before the upgrade.

JW113

2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Dogz

picked up new cones friday, put them in saturday. Back to normal now.  :up:

Burnout

Quote from: screem on July 23, 2019, 01:30:05 PM
Ask me how I know...

+ 1 for looks good, its not always about squeezing every last drop of power for some.. with a tank shift and suicide clutch, its all about style and easy cruising

I have heard this argument many times but it has never proven true.

I'm not talking about peak power, I'm talking about area under the curve.
I'm talking about torque off the line, and roll on performance.
I'm talking about a motor that wants to run and pulls to it's abilities, does not have to be flogged.
A motor that runs smoother and is easier to ride.

Dont forget that the better a motor runs (not peak) the more efficient it is and the longer it lasts.

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: DOGZ on July 22, 2019, 09:46:41 AM
What's the general thought on torque cones around here? 99 fxstc evo, I've had the cones in since 500 miles, white bros porker pipe, 1-13/4 to 2-1/4. I have an eyebolt in the end each pipe 3" or so in. Had base gasket replaced, the shop took out the cones, said they did nothing. I notice when I picked my sled up, there was no out of the hole torque, starting off no torque where it was for 96k miles. The shop said they have dyno and "proved" he makes more power with them. Headin back to the shop today to pick them back up.

We use to manufacture(and still have some) "torque nozzles", that are installed in the rear of those type of power killer pipes, once a 1/4" clearence hole is drilled.
Billet 6061-T6 aluminum, with a dedicated thru hole size, and dedicated tapered venturi angle that faces the flow, drill/tapped for 1/4-20 screw.
They were born on the dyno, and just used a variation of those, in a baffle-void side-draft pipe on a 124" last week.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Burnout

Ask me how I know...

If power was not an issue the OP would not be complaining about the missing torque cones.

If it had a proper exhaust, just think how much better it would run!
It would run significantly better than with the torque cones, likely by the same amount.

SixShooter14

Quote from: Burnout on August 13, 2019, 02:29:22 PM
Ask me how I know...

If power was not an issue the OP would not be complaining about the missing torque cones.

If it had a proper exhaust, just think how much better it would run!
It would run significantly better than with the torque cones, likely by the same amount.
as with everything, there's compromises. I think the OP is just trying to get the most power for the look he wants. If that's not enough, then something's got to give. Either change the looks, accept the lower power, or upgrade something else.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Hossamania

It's true, we often compromise on performance to get the look and sound we want.
I ran 1 3/4" drag pipes for a few years on my 88" RoadKing. They were too loud, gave up some low end power. I frickin' loved 'em!