May 08, 2024, 08:37:50 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

lifter noise

Started by RomeoTango, August 23, 2019, 04:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RomeoTango

Last year I installed Hylift Johnson B2313SE lifters (not from Larry) and SE adjustable pushrods with my CR 570-2. I seemed to always hear some ticking from the front lifter block - likely the exhaust. I adjusted the pushrods several times but the ticking remained and I just let it go. Recently, the ticking has turned to a bit of a rough tick or clatter. Particularly on start up. After warm up and a few minutes of riding the noise quiets down some, but sorta comes and goes in intensity. Will check  pushrods tomorrow, but barring a pushrods that has loosened is this a case of maybe one bad lifter? I've checked with an inexpensive mechanic-type stethoscope and I do believe the noise is from the exhaust lifter "area." What else is likely to be the culprit?

Rockout Rocker Products

Could be a case of rocker shaft tapping, very common.

There is a cure  :smiled:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

RomeoTango

Already have rockouts. Installed same time as cams/lifters. Should have mentioned.

wfolarry

The front exhaust is typically the one to make noise. There are different reasons for this.
The easiest way to see if it's the lifter is to swap the lifters around. Put the exhaust lifter on the intake & the intake lifter on the exhaust. If the noise follows the lifter then you know the lifter is bad. If it doesn't then you know to look elsewhere.
Noise can travel through the motor. While you may hear the noise in the top that doesn't necessarily mean it's coming from there. The noise could be originating from the cam chest. It takes a little detective work to track it down. The last one my buddy had in his shop where he swore up & down it was the lifter [tried 3 different brands of lifters] it turned out to be the cam plate. He changed everything else so he figured why not. New cam plate & no more noise. This is just an example so you don't get hung up on one thing.

RomeoTango

Thanks Larry. Is there any method or process I should/can follow to systematically isolate my problem? Even a list of items in "likely culprit" order? I like your lifter idea, though I have had a difficult enough time arriving at the one lifter. I had thought to replace just the one lifter with a new one as a low cost chance option, but have not found a source for single lifters. Not sure if you sell singles.

1workinman

Quote from: wfolarry on August 25, 2019, 07:15:57 AM
The front exhaust is typically the one to make noise. There are different reasons for this.
The easiest way to see if it's the lifter is to swap the lifters around. Put the exhaust lifter on the intake & the intake lifter on the exhaust. If the noise follows the lifter then you know the lifter is bad. If it doesn't then you know to look elsewhere.
Noise can travel through the motor. While you may hear the noise in the top that doesn't necessarily mean it's coming from there. The noise could be originating from the cam chest. It takes a little detective work to track it down. The last one my buddy had in his shop where he swore up & down it was the lifter [tried 3 different brands of lifters] it turned out to be the cam plate. He changed everything else so he figured why not. New cam plate & no more noise. This is just an example so you don't get hung up on one thing.
Sir what was wrong with the cam plate that caused for friend to think it was a lifter . Just wanted to remember this just in case thanks Jim

wfolarry

Quote from: RomeoTango on August 25, 2019, 09:31:05 AM
Thanks Larry. Is there any method or process I should/can follow to systematically isolate my problem? Even a list of items in "likely culprit" order? I like your lifter idea, though I have had a difficult enough time arriving at the one lifter. I had thought to replace just the one lifter with a new one as a low cost chance option, but have not found a source for single lifters. Not sure if you sell singles.
I sell singles if you want to go that route.
I usually check in this order: pushrod adjustment, lifter, rocker arm shaft, excessive carbon in port [sticky valve], then into the cam chest.

wfolarry

August 25, 2019, 10:19:37 AM #7 Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 02:42:24 PM by FSG
QuoteSir what was wrong with the cam plate that caused for friend to think it was a lifter . Just wanted to remember this just in case thanks Jim

Just a worn plate was all I seen. I still have the plate [he wanted me to check it out]. I can take a picture of it if you want.

1workinman

August 25, 2019, 10:41:20 AM #8 Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 02:44:00 PM by FSG
Quote from: wfolarry on August 25, 2019, 10:19:37 AM
QuoteSir what was wrong with the cam plate that caused for friend to think it was a lifter . Just wanted to remember this just in case thanks Jim

Just a worn plate was all I seen. I still have the plate [he wanted me to check it out]. I can take a picture of it if you want.
Ok the plate was worn and it caused the sound Hmm damn that would be a tough on to find. Reminds me of a long time ago when I worked for GM and after all of the test the manual said change out with a know good part . I was told they had a problem knocking that could not be found in the engine , the general manger for GM or rep told the shop Forman to park car in back lot , lay a brick on throttle , start car , come back in the morning and you will find the knock  . Sure enough they did and installed a new motor

RomeoTango

August 25, 2019, 04:52:15 PM #9 Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 05:34:58 PM by RomeoTango
I readjusted at .140 this evening. A little less noise now than the last couple weeks, but still a fair amount of noise that I assess as "new" or louder than the previous tick. As well, I am running Spectro 25w60, which does seems to attenuate noise a bit.

https://youtu.be/T8EiNLLzYik

kd

Quote from: 1workinman on August 25, 2019, 10:41:20 AM
Quote from: wfolarry on August 25, 2019, 10:19:37 AM

Ok the plate was worn and it caused the sound Hmm damn that would be a tough on to find. Reminds me of a long time ago when I worked for GM and after all of the test the manual said change out with a know good part . I was told they had a problem knocking that could not be found in the engine , the general manger for GM or rep told the shop Forman to park car in back lot , lay a brick on throttle , start car , come back in the morning and you will find the knock  . Sure enough they did and installed a new motor

:hyst: :hyst: :hyst:  That's hilarious  :hyst: :hyst:
KD

RomeoTango

Rode to work this morning for the first time since adjusting the pushrods. No clatter, but the louder lifter noise is still there. As I ride out of my neighborhood in 2nd gear, 25mph, 2300 rpm the ticking comes and goes. Can be a little more constant at speed, but hard to hear/pinpoint going down the road.