May 06, 2024, 08:48:09 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Shift Light Install Questions

Started by djl, July 21, 2019, 08:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djl

I need a bar mounted shift light but being challenged in the electrical discipline, I have a couple of questions:

Bike is a 2005 FXSTDI. Anyone care to recommend a particular unit and why?

I assumed that the light needs three connections; switched power, ground and signal from ECM and all connections can be made in fuse box?  I have the HD speedo/tach unit but the tack is too small to be of any use but the signal to the tach must come from the ECM which would be the signal source for the light; just don't no where to make that connection.  Since installing the Pingel shifter, a shift light will help making the right shifts.

Any time I start diddling with electrical stuff, I am concerned that I will fry something and make a simple installation (if I knew what  I was doing) more difficult.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

kd

Search Dynatech shift minder.  Read the install stuff and consider the kit for a clean and complete system.
KD

ThumperDeuce

Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

jmorton10

I use the Dyna Shift Minder on my 124" RK, works great.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Horizonmech

I use the Raptor also, as I recall there is a pink wire under the spedo that carries the tach signal. All my connections were made under the spedo, very easy. I have the light Velcro'ed to the front of my spedo housing and never had an issue. Oh, it's an 01 softail.
"See ya round....if ya don't turn oblong"

djl

Quote from: HorizonmechI use the Raptor also, as I recall there is a pink wire under the spedo that carries the tach signal. All my connections were made under the spedo, very easy. I have the light Velcro'ed to the front of my spedo housing and never had an issue. Oh, it's an 01 softail.

The guage I have is the HD digital speedo/tach combo.  Bought years ago but not a practical choice since the tach is pretty useless which is the feature I wanted; bad decision.  The Raptor website has install instructions for a Road Glide, pin numbers for each of the four wires which would be easy to follow if the pin numbers for a touring model are the same for a softail; seems they probably are but I don't know.  Making connections under the dash makes sense but, for me anyway, figuring out which wires to connect to is a puzzlement. I will be proceeding with trepidation. :unsure:

hattitude

Quote from: kd on July 21, 2019, 05:09:52 PM

Search Dynatech shift minder.  Read the install stuff and consider the kit for a clean and complete system.

I just looked it up, out of curiosity....

The Dynatech shift minder systems page says, "NOTE: Not for use on Twincam models!"

Did you get one to work on a twin cam in spite of that warning...?