April 25, 2024, 12:38:47 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Dynojet 168

Started by TA63, July 25, 2019, 09:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TA63

Can any of our tuners tell me if this is a capable machine?  Nobody in my area does tuning and I'm thinking of getting into it.  I'd love a 250i bit just cant quite make that happen right now.

rigidthumper

Have a link/listing?
Does it have load control? WOT is good for making a pretty sheet, but that's only 5% of tuning. Part throttle is where the happiness lives
IMO, that's the critical part of EFI tuning- need to be able to measure, then adjust, all of the part throttle areas, for proper driveability.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Herko

As Robin said, a load control is key. Without this, you'd be pizzing in the wind.

Also, all the electrics (stack), cabling and software etc. are needed...and in good working order. This stuff can add up quick if purchasing is required.

For AFR sampling...copper/steel tube(s) up the exhaust are yesterday's news. It's easy to spend hundreds or even a few thousand on a good AFR feedback and data logging system but is necessary.

Operating a Dyno is easy. Acquiring a good understanding of tuning and applying the knowledge is key.
With the right desire, aptitude, patience and fortitude, becoming a good to great tuner can be achieved.
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

Barrett

Does a dyno measure the temps and humidity or is that done by the operator?
I've seen a few that have temps listed that are easy to prove wrong just going to a weather site.
Like about 20 degrees higher.

Prostock

It reads inHg.  Had a conversation with dynojet about the same issue.  It will vary with elevation.  My shop is at 1472 above sea level.  Rule of thumb is for every 100', it will vary approx .1.  Soo, If the pressure is at 30.0, my dyno will read between 28.5-28.6.

Herko

Quote from: Barrett on July 26, 2019, 10:17:16 AM
Does a dyno measure the temps and humidity or is that done by the operator?
I've seen a few that have temps listed that are easy to prove wrong just going to a weather site.
Like about 20 degrees higher.

In the case of a Dynojet Dyno, the Dyno measures temp.
Dyno rooms, Dyno cells can get warm. They can get hot.
There's a lot of heat being generated converting fossil fuel to mechanical energy.
Take a look sometime at a bike's exhaust when data is being gathered at steady-state 4000 RPM at 80 KPA for example.
The Dyno room is the environment that the engine operates in, thus it's this environment that should be measured in terms of temperature, pressure etc. These parameters will differ from a local weather station's measurements.
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

TA63

https://www.ebay.com/itm/motorcycle-dynamometer-dynojet-/273938537328

Here's a link.  It's fairly close to me.  I'd like one for my own tinkering, and I know I could pick up a little business too once I become good enough.  I'm at 1300 feet.  Appreciate all the input gentlemen.

rigidthumper

+  Setup for 2 or 4 wheelers, with a little work could do trikes.
-   No load control, and it has a Winpep7 stack that Dynojet no longer supports. You're looking at $12K to upgrade those.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

TA63

Quote from: rigidthumper on July 27, 2019, 05:57:48 AM
+  Setup for 2 or 4 wheelers, with a little work could do trikes.
-   No load control, and it has a Winpep7 stack that Dynojet no longer supports. You're looking at $12K to upgrade those.

Ok.  Ill pass on this unit.  Thanks for the advice.