March 28, 2024, 02:11:58 AM

News:

Electraglide Smashed Crossover

Started by FXD02, July 25, 2019, 03:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FXD02

Curious if anyone is making an un-smashed crossover to use with the stock headpipe.

BVHOG

Quote from: FXD02 on July 25, 2019, 03:26:04 PM
Curious if anyone is making an un-smashed crossover to use with the stock headpipe.
I haven't seen one yet and with the unbalanced inlet I doubt it would make any performance difference
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

PBSTN

Fuel motor makes one for twin cams. Not sure about the m8.
2010 flhr. 2003 FLHRSEI2. 1986 SUZUKI GS1150E.

lonegoosehonking

Fulsac  has a crossover pipe that is round. Fuel Moto has one that is flattened some. As much R&D that these two company's do with a dyno I can't help but think that it really doesn't matter much performance wise. I wonder whether there is a sound difference between the round vs, flattened crossover pipe.

Eccool

I read somewhere quite a while back that Fullsac said on the Twin Cams, it didn't make any difference whatsoever.  Said they only made them because people kept asking for them.

Hillside Motorcycle

Rear drive belt clearence seems to be the reasoning as to why they are formed that way.
Doesn't seem to have much affect on the dyno.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Ken R

The High Flow exhaust system comes with full round crossover.  I don't know if it makes any difference or not.  But the exhaust volume out of the left and right mufflers seems about the same now.  With the squeezed crossover, the right muffler definitely carried the lion's share of the exhaust.  Hardly needed the left side.

moose

Quote from: Ken R on August 08, 2019, 06:33:35 PM
The High Flow exhaust system comes with full round crossover.  I don't know if it makes any difference or not.  But the exhaust volume out of the left and right mufflers seems about the same now.  With the squeezed crossover, the right muffler definitely carried the lion's share of the exhaust.  Hardly needed the left side.

just thinking out loud

with that being said would there be any advantage to swapping the dual pipes once in a while to keep carbon build up equal ? 
Moose aka Glenn-

Ken R

Quote from: moose on August 09, 2019, 04:09:11 AM
Quote from: Ken R on August 08, 2019, 06:33:35 PM

just thinking out loud

with that being said would there be any advantage to swapping the dual pipes once in a while to keep carbon build up equal ?

I wouldn't think it would make any difference.  The Catalytic Converter in the High Flow system runs at very high heat and is self-cleaning.  The rest of the muffler is just a big tube with some packing and a perf-steel sleeve to keep the packing up against the outer walls of the muffler.    And with proper fuel, there isn't all that much carbon, anyway.