May 02, 2024, 08:15:47 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Clutch cable wet

Started by Cozz, August 01, 2019, 04:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cozz

Why does my clutch cable leak? Is it just the o ring on the tranny end has gone bad?
2004 Electraglide Ultra Classic

rbabos

Quote from: Cozz on August 01, 2019, 04:07:23 PM
Why does my clutch cable leak? Is it just the o ring on the tranny end has gone bad?
Trans vent not plugged, is it?
Ron

chaos901

Sometimes dirt dobbers (wasps) plug those vents when they set up housekeeping in the tube.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

smoserx1

I have had 2 that leaked, one at the crimp near the tranny entrance and one at the sag where contact with something (the engine or frame) rubbed through the  jacket).  If a wasp plugs the vent tube (more common than you would think) fluid an back up all the way to the adjuster and come out there.

calif phil

Did you check it to see if it's screwed in tight.  Sometimes a 1/4 turn is needed to stop a seeping cable. 

capn

Had one crack at the top of the threads and leaked.

Mule

Had a friend that his cable leaked, come to find out his buddy that was helping him service his bike was using the transmission capacity specs from a different year and model. They were overfilling the transmission....

IronButt70

Quote from: Mule on August 02, 2019, 06:36:09 AM
Had a friend that his cable leaked, come to find out his buddy that was helping him service his bike was using the transmission capacity specs from a different year and model. They were overfilling the transmission....
That should have caused a mess out the tranny vent. Maybe it was clogged too.  :nix:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Cozz

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to check these out with some very bright lights.
2004 Electraglide Ultra Classic