March 28, 2024, 07:46:07 AM

News:

shift linkage sticking on upshifts??

Started by jmorton10, July 29, 2019, 11:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmorton10

July 29, 2019, 11:47:10 AM Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 12:18:46 PM by jmorton10
I have a Baker DD7 in my 07 RK (that I put in when I ripped six teeth off the 3rd gear in the stock 6 speed) with a Pingel air shifter that has always shifted as smooth as any bike I have ever ridden.  I have the Pingel greasable shift arm & a shift rod with stainless heim joints. I am running a Bandit Sportsman clutch with one shim under the silver springs.  I can drop it into neutral at a dead stop any time I want.

The other day I was just riding along taking it easy when it started to stick slightly on upshifts from 3rd to 4th gear.  By stick I mean it would shift into gear no problem but then the shift lever would stick ever so slightly so it wouldn't snap back enough to shift up again.  If I just tap it ever so slightly with my toe it snaps up & is ready to go again.

It always down shifts perfectly, it only does this on upshifts & doesn't do it every time.  It's no big deal really as I can basically shift & tap it all in one motion but it's never done this before.  I ran it through the gears with the air shifter & that worked fine 3 times in a row. I thought maybe the Pingel cylinder was causing the problem, but disconnecting it made no difference.  I have Redline HD SHockproof in it which I will be changing this week.  Whether that will make any difference at all, I have no idea.

I had this problem once before on a different bike, but I can't remember how I fixed it LOL.

Anybody know what's going on here??

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

les

Using the eccentric screw provided by the Baker kit, was the shifter pawl centered on the shift drum spokes?

Hossamania

Check for binding, bent linkage, loose shift lever on the transmission splines. New bushings for the shifter shaft running thru the inner primary.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

jmorton10

Quote from: les on July 29, 2019, 12:34:01 PM
Using the eccentric screw provided by the Baker kit, was the shifter pawl centered on the shift drum spokes?

Mine doesn't have a shifter pawl adjustment & this problem just started, it worked fine for the last two years.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

jmorton10

Quote from: Hossamania on July 29, 2019, 01:05:48 PM
Check for binding, bent linkage, loose shift lever on the transmission splines. New bushings for the shifter shaft running thru the inner primary.

I've pretty much checked all that. Nothing is bent or binding & it all snaps back fine when it's not running. 

The shifter shaft bushings are constantly greased from the zirk fitting on the Pingel shaft.

~John

ecir50

I would pull it apart and inspect drum and forks.

jmorton10

I'm going to put a better lever on it just to see if it changes anything.

It may not make any difference at all, but I've always thought they where a good idea so I will use it either way.

~John

les

Do you have a stock rod that goes between both levers?  I was reading the other day here on HTT about the ball joints wallowing out on those.  I checked mine and found it to be loose, so I ran to the dealership and bought a new one.

jmorton10

Quote from: les on July 30, 2019, 11:05:25 AM
Do you have a stock rod that goes between both levers? 

No, I have a straight round stainless rod that I made with stainless aircraft quality heim joints at both ends. I lube them probably once a week to keep my air shifter working correctly..

I haven't used a stock rod in years for exactly the reasons you stated.

~John

Hossamania

You might want to pull that Pingel shift rod out and take a look at it, just for shits and giggles. Could be a build up of grease or crud, or who knows what you might find. Beats going into the tranny.

jmorton10

I had the Pingel shaft out recently, it looked brand new.

I will add the better lever & then just do what I always do, beat the crap out of it until it breaks -then fix it LOL

~John 

Hossamania

Quote from: jmorton10 on July 30, 2019, 01:53:19 PM
then just do what I always do, beat the crap out of it until it breaks -then fix it LOL

~John

It's like we're riding side by side!

jmorton10

LOL hoss, my wife once accused me of breaking my bike on purpose to give me an excuse to make it faster. I have no idea what she was talking about......

~John

les

Sorry for throwing out wild guesses that even as I type I don't think it's the problem, but a while ago I gutted a Softail tranny to replace a shifter pawl spring that broke.  Usage over the years pawl cut through it.  (This before I bought the JIMS tool to replace the pawl sleeve without gutting the tranny.)  The symptom was that the lever just flopped around.

Could there be a problem with the pawl spring, maybe worn out?

jmorton10

I guess it could be les, but it's not old enough to be worn out.

~John

skunk

John,
Kinda having almost the same issue here, DD7, about 10k miles tied to a 08 RG with a 117. Only happens to my when lightly cruising along, mainly upshifting into 2nd and 3rd. It might just be me being light/lazy on the shifter (heal, toe set up) not rotating the shift drum fully to the next detent, but the dogs pulling it fully into the next gear? Shifter comes back to center but I have to kick it with my heal before it will grab the drum again. Second season on the trans and I don't remember having an issue the first year. Running ShockProof Heavy in it. If I am "leaning" on it I must be a little more aggressive on the shifter as I don't have shifting issues. Rear peg is not hitting on the board. For S&G's I gave Baker a call and they couldn't remember having an issue like this before. Yep, for now it seams like I will be going with the beat on it till I find the weak link and upgrade. Maybe ride 3 wide with you and Hoss :teeth:
If you find out what is going on, let us know

pwmorris

Have Baker replace the whole trans....see what they say (I am interested in their response).
or,
Time for the real deal. R&D. You don't have enough HP, foot strength banging or any other means to stop it...
Regular proven 500 HP plus use and it asks for more. I beat the hell out of mine (6K Pingel shifts) with only 170-, and it just looks at me and says...."that all ya got?"
Time for the Brown Truck to visit you....

Rockout Rocker Products

Not sure what's going on at Baker these days but three requests for an RMA number to return my DD7 have been ignored.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

hattitude

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on August 04, 2019, 07:00:13 PM
Not sure what's going on at Baker these days but three requests for an RMA number to return my DD7 have been ignored.

This is all second/third hand info... but....

I read on another forum that Baker was recently bought out... not sure if it's true...

The same thread had several people posting complaints about Baker not responding to requests about pending orders, and not being able to get a transmission. Some said their transmissions are on back order for like 60 days minimum....

Someone else said that "Mark", who used to reply for Baker on that forum, had parted ways with the company. They apparently didn't give the job of answering forum questions to anyone else, because no one has stepped up to defend Baker for their lack of response to customers or the inability to get a transmission...

Again, all second hand info....FWIW

rigidthumper

I think the crew has been in Sturgis, since the 18th? They're sponsoring a drag race Wednesday.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

jmorton10

I called Baker on Thursday & talked to a tech (didn't catch the name).

I talked to him, explained the problem & we  talked briefly.  He stopped me at one point & said he "needed to check on a few thing" & he would call me back (he has my cell #)

I am still waiting for him to call me back.

~John

jmorton10

Quote from: skunk on August 04, 2019, 12:14:44 PM
Yep, for now it seams like I will be going with the beat on it till I find the weak link and upgrade. Maybe ride 3 wide with you and Hoss :teeth:

HaHa, that's a plan bro.  Should we take bets on who can break their bike first??

Not really fair though, I would win that bet everytime LOL (just ask my Wife)

~John

FSG

QuoteThis is all second/third hand info...

that's the best kind to have, it gets the forums buzzing   :SM:

skunk

Quote from: jmorton10 on August 05, 2019, 04:49:55 PM
Quote from: skunk on August 04, 2019, 12:14:44 PM
Yep, for now it seams like I will be going with the beat on it till I find the weak link and upgrade. Maybe ride 3 wide with you and Hoss :teeth:

HaHa, that's a plan bro.  Should we take bets on who can break their bike first??

Not really fair though, I would win that bet everytime LOL (just ask my Wife)

~John

Once was told "God hates a coward" guess he loves me than,lol. You might have to handicap me slightly, IIRC you are running a 124? against my lil ol 117. Kinda like taking a 38 to a 45 gunfight. However I do drag a Bushtech trailer so maybe that shortens the handicap? Like the song goes " I'll take your bet, your gonna regret" , and so on. LOL.
  When you hear back from Baker, and I'm sure you will, Please share what they have to say.

Hossamania

Sounds like my poor little tired 95" is going to take a beating. I'm in!

FXDBI

Quote from: pwmorris on August 04, 2019, 05:33:12 PM
Have Baker replace the whole trans....see what they say (I am interested in their response).
or,
Time for the real deal. R&D. You don't have enough HP, foot strength banging or any other means to stop it...
Regular proven 500 HP plus use and it asks for more. I beat the hell out of mine (6K Pingel shifts) with only 170-, and it just looks at me and says...."that all ya got?"

PW do you have a link or contact info for R&D please and thank you. I would like to contact them.   Bob

jmorton10

Quote from: skunk on August 05, 2019, 05:36:21 PM

When you hear back from Baker, and I'm sure you will, Please share what they have to say.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Baker............

~John

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: jmorton10 on August 21, 2019, 11:27:38 AM

~John

Me too, on my 4th request for an RMA number for my DD7.

klammer76

Quote from: rigidthumper on August 05, 2019, 05:50:11 AM
I think the crew has been in Sturgis, since the 18th? They're sponsoring a drag race Wednesday.
They were set up at Black Hills Harley in Rapid City.

pwmorris

August 22, 2019, 06:05:17 PM #29 Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 06:17:04 PM by pwmorris
Quote from: FXDBI on August 07, 2019, 02:54:49 PM
or,

PW do you have a link or contact info for R&D please and thank you. I would like to contact them.   Bob
Hey Bob,
https://www.yelp.com/biz/r-and-d-motorsports-clearwater
Mark is the man.....
Send him your whole trans, tell him what you want, let him tell you what you need, and then.....wait.
It's well worth it.

https://www.dragbike.com/person-of-the-week-mark-doucette/

https://www.1130cc.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-97696.html

1workinman

Quote from: pwmorris on August 22, 2019, 06:05:17 PM
or,

Hey Bob,
Mark is the man.....
Send him your whole trans, tell him what you want, let him tell you what you need, and then.....wait.
It's well worth it.

Last week I was chatting with a fellow about a clutch hub that I was having trouble with and I ordered a new clutch hub for my street glide I installing a billet basket new compensator and tensioner .  At any rate I asked about baker transmissions just in case and I was told about the company you posted here  R  D .   ok then 

FXDBI

Quote from: pwmorris on August 22, 2019, 06:05:17 PM
or,

Hey Bob,
Mark is the man.....
It's well worth it.

Thanks Paul   :scratch:  going to have to call him and check out shipping to and return, living in Canada means a border to cross both ways.  This is a must do the 6spd transmission is a weak link big time.  Bob

jmorton10

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on August 21, 2019, 09:06:45 PM

~John

Any luck with Baker??

I am having more problems & tried to call today but only got voicemail........

~John

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: jmorton10 on October 09, 2019, 01:04:04 PM
Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on August 21, 2019, 09:06:45 PM

~John

Any luck with Baker??

I am having more problems & tried to call today but only got voicemail........

~John

Over a period from July through September I sent 5 emails requesting an RMA number. The first 4 went unanswered. The last one I copied every email address on the Baker site. The tech finally got back to me, saying I had been sending to the wrong address. The address I was replying to was THE ADDRESS THAT HIS ORIGINAL RESPONSE TO MY PROBLEM CAME FROM  :gob:

They've had my DD7 for a couple of weeks, crickets.

My expectation is it will be returned "no problem found".

pwmorris

Hey John,
Long shot but...
I had an issue on upshifts (intermittent, not as powerful and confident going into the next gear), on my Pingel and it turned out it was battery voltage.
Put it in the charger, and got back to my normal 13.2-13.4 and shifts went back to butter.
Worth checking...

jmorton10

Quote from: pwmorris on October 09, 2019, 04:03:51 PM
Hey John,
Long shot but...
I had an issue on upshifts (intermittent, not as powerful and confident going into the next gear), on my Pingel and it turned out it was battery voltage.
Put it in the charger, and got back to my normal 13.2-13.4 and shifts went back to butter.
Worth checking...

Thanks bro, I appreciate the response.  I am not using the Pingel electric shifter at this point, I switched back to an all air Pingel shifter so that's not the problem.  I had removed the electric shifter a few years ago to use on another bike & had all the parts to assemble an all air setup from a bike I raced for years so I went with that.

I'm not thrilled with Baker or the DD7 at this point & would not buy another one, but I'm kinda stuck with it & need to get it working again somehow.  At this point, it is barely rideable.  I can drop it into 1st & take off but when I go to shift into 2nd it hangs in 1st gear until I bang it a few times & kinda jam it into 2nd.  Shifting into 3rd & up work OK & it downshifts OK but it used to drop into neutral easily & now I pretty much have to shut it off to get it into neutral.

I'm not sure where to go with it at this point, I don't have another tranny to throw into it at that point & am not having much luck with BAker.

~John

jmorton10

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on October 09, 2019, 01:38:59 PM

When you sent it back, did you return the main drive gear also or just the rest of the gearset??

~John

pwmorris

Quote from: jmorton10 on October 10, 2019, 07:56:06 AM
Hey John,
Long shot but...
Worth checking...

Thanks bro, I appreciate the response.  I am not using the Pingel electric shifter at this point, I switched back to an all air Pingel shifter so that's not the problem.  I had removed the electric shifter a few years ago to use on another bike & had all the parts to assemble an all air setup from a bike I raced for years so I went with that.

I'm not thrilled with Baker or the DD7 at this point & would not buy another one, but I'm kinda stuck with it & need to get it working again somehow.  At this point, it is barely rideable.  I can drop it into 1st & take off but when I go to shift into 2nd it hangs in 1st gear until I bang it a few times & kinda jam it into 2nd.  Shifting into 3rd & up work OK & it downshifts OK but it used to drop into neutral easily & now I pretty much have to shut it off to get it into neutral.

I'm not sure where to go with it at this point, I don't have another tranny to throw into it at that point & am not having much luck with BAker.

~John
That sucks.
Worth a call to Mark at R&D tel:(727) 447-4551

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: jmorton10 on October 10, 2019, 08:07:19 AM

When you sent it back, did you return the main drive gear also or just the rest of the gearset??

~John
I did not send the MDG. I sent the gearset & shifter pawl thingy.

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: pwmorris on October 10, 2019, 02:15:50 PM
Hey John,
Long shot but...
Worth checking...

~John
That sucks.
I thought Mark was no longer with Baker?

Ohio HD

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on October 10, 2019, 06:40:06 PM
Quote from: pwmorris on October 10, 2019, 02:15:50 PM
Hey John,
Long shot but...
Worth checking...

~John
That sucks.
I thought Mark was no longer with Baker?

That's not Mark at Baker, or Baker. It's R&D in Florida.

rbabos

Quote from: FSG on August 05, 2019, 05:00:48 PM
QuoteThis is all second/third hand info...

that's the best kind to have, it gets the forums buzzing   :SM:
Yes, direct and exacting advise is so boring.  :hyst:
Ron

jmorton10

Any word from Baker yet??

~John

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: jmorton10 on October 25, 2019, 07:29:57 AM

Any word from Baker yet??

~John

It arrived back here on Wednesday. There was no note, indication of any kind in the box, they did include all new gaskets & a seal for the shifter shaft. I emailed them as to what they found, here was the response...

It appears there was nothing major found to be wrong with the gearset. There was some light scoring on a couple of the gears and one tight dog tooth gap on one pair. These issues were corrected and the gearset was completely rebuilt.

It will be another week or so until I get time to reinstall it, we'll see. I really was hoping there would be a bigger smoking gun.

jmorton10

I have a Grudgebox coming for mine.

Then I will send them the DD7 & sell it after I get it back.

~John

Ohio HD

I would have waited a month, Baker Black Friday sales are really good. They sell them less than dealers cost.

Rockout Rocker Products

FWIW here's what was done to mine/included in returned unit...

[attach=0]

jmorton10

Baker actually called me today & gave me an RMA # to return the DD7 for repair.

~John

kd

After running the GrudgeBox are you going to switch back? 
KD

jmorton10

Pete_Vit

maybe not related so just tell me to shut the f** up, but.... I got a "Springer" shifter rod for my birthday a couple years ago that replace the stock all thread one, it binded, stuck, it would up shift but stayed in that location, I loosened the connections on both ends, and sprayed with white lithium grease, so far been about a year and no more binding  :idunno:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

kd

Quote from: Pete_Vit on January 09, 2020, 08:08:56 AM
maybe not related so just tell me to shut the f** up, but.... I got a "Springer" shifter rod for my birthday a couple years ago that replace the stock all thread one, it binded, stuck, it would up shift but stayed in that location, I loosened the connections on both ends, and sprayed with white lithium grease, so far been about a year and no more binding  :idunno:

See post 4 & 8   :wink:
KD