March 28, 2024, 02:18:58 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

shift linkage sticking on upshifts??

Started by jmorton10, July 29, 2019, 11:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FXDBI

Quote from: pwmorris on August 04, 2019, 05:33:12 PM
Have Baker replace the whole trans....see what they say (I am interested in their response).
or,
Time for the real deal. R&D. You don't have enough HP, foot strength banging or any other means to stop it...
Regular proven 500 HP plus use and it asks for more. I beat the hell out of mine (6K Pingel shifts) with only 170-, and it just looks at me and says...."that all ya got?"
Time for the Brown Truck to visit you....

PW do you have a link or contact info for R&D please and thank you. I would like to contact them.   Bob

jmorton10

Quote from: skunk on August 05, 2019, 05:36:21 PM

When you hear back from Baker, and I'm sure you will, Please share what they have to say.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Baker............

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: jmorton10 on August 21, 2019, 11:27:38 AM

When you hear back from Baker, and I'm sure you will, Please share what they have to say.

~John

Me too, on my 4th request for an RMA number for my DD7.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

klammer76

Quote from: rigidthumper on August 05, 2019, 05:50:11 AM
I think the crew has been in Sturgis, since the 18th? They're sponsoring a drag race Wednesday.
They were set up at Black Hills Harley in Rapid City.

pwmorris

August 22, 2019, 06:05:17 PM #29 Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 06:17:04 PM by pwmorris
Quote from: FXDBI on August 07, 2019, 02:54:49 PM
Have Baker replace the whole trans....see what they say (I am interested in their response).
or,
Time for the real deal. R&D. You don't have enough HP, foot strength banging or any other means to stop it...
Regular proven 500 HP plus use and it asks for more. I beat the hell out of mine (6K Pingel shifts) with only 170-, and it just looks at me and says...."that all ya got?"

PW do you have a link or contact info for R&D please and thank you. I would like to contact them.   Bob
Hey Bob,
https://www.yelp.com/biz/r-and-d-motorsports-clearwater
Mark is the man.....
Send him your whole trans, tell him what you want, let him tell you what you need, and then.....wait.
It's well worth it.

https://www.dragbike.com/person-of-the-week-mark-doucette/

https://www.1130cc.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-97696.html

1workinman

Quote from: pwmorris on August 22, 2019, 06:05:17 PM
or,

Hey Bob,
Mark is the man.....
Send him your whole trans, tell him what you want, let him tell you what you need, and then.....wait.
It's well worth it.

Last week I was chatting with a fellow about a clutch hub that I was having trouble with and I ordered a new clutch hub for my street glide I installing a billet basket new compensator and tensioner .  At any rate I asked about baker transmissions just in case and I was told about the company you posted here  R  D .   ok then 

FXDBI

Quote from: pwmorris on August 22, 2019, 06:05:17 PM
or,

Hey Bob,
Mark is the man.....
It's well worth it.

Thanks Paul   :scratch:  going to have to call him and check out shipping to and return, living in Canada means a border to cross both ways.  This is a must do the 6spd transmission is a weak link big time.  Bob

jmorton10

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on August 21, 2019, 09:06:45 PM

~John

Any luck with Baker??

I am having more problems & tried to call today but only got voicemail........

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: jmorton10 on October 09, 2019, 01:04:04 PM
Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on August 21, 2019, 09:06:45 PM

~John

Any luck with Baker??

I am having more problems & tried to call today but only got voicemail........

~John

Over a period from July through September I sent 5 emails requesting an RMA number. The first 4 went unanswered. The last one I copied every email address on the Baker site. The tech finally got back to me, saying I had been sending to the wrong address. The address I was replying to was THE ADDRESS THAT HIS ORIGINAL RESPONSE TO MY PROBLEM CAME FROM  :gob:

They've had my DD7 for a couple of weeks, crickets.

My expectation is it will be returned "no problem found".

pwmorris

Hey John,
Long shot but...
I had an issue on upshifts (intermittent, not as powerful and confident going into the next gear), on my Pingel and it turned out it was battery voltage.
Put it in the charger, and got back to my normal 13.2-13.4 and shifts went back to butter.
Worth checking...

jmorton10

Quote from: pwmorris on October 09, 2019, 04:03:51 PM
Hey John,
Long shot but...
I had an issue on upshifts (intermittent, not as powerful and confident going into the next gear), on my Pingel and it turned out it was battery voltage.
Put it in the charger, and got back to my normal 13.2-13.4 and shifts went back to butter.
Worth checking...

Thanks bro, I appreciate the response.  I am not using the Pingel electric shifter at this point, I switched back to an all air Pingel shifter so that's not the problem.  I had removed the electric shifter a few years ago to use on another bike & had all the parts to assemble an all air setup from a bike I raced for years so I went with that.

I'm not thrilled with Baker or the DD7 at this point & would not buy another one, but I'm kinda stuck with it & need to get it working again somehow.  At this point, it is barely rideable.  I can drop it into 1st & take off but when I go to shift into 2nd it hangs in 1st gear until I bang it a few times & kinda jam it into 2nd.  Shifting into 3rd & up work OK & it downshifts OK but it used to drop into neutral easily & now I pretty much have to shut it off to get it into neutral.

I'm not sure where to go with it at this point, I don't have another tranny to throw into it at that point & am not having much luck with BAker.

~John

jmorton10

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on October 09, 2019, 01:38:59 PM

When you sent it back, did you return the main drive gear also or just the rest of the gearset??

~John

pwmorris

Quote from: jmorton10 on October 10, 2019, 07:56:06 AM
Hey John,
Long shot but...
Worth checking...

Thanks bro, I appreciate the response.  I am not using the Pingel electric shifter at this point, I switched back to an all air Pingel shifter so that's not the problem.  I had removed the electric shifter a few years ago to use on another bike & had all the parts to assemble an all air setup from a bike I raced for years so I went with that.

I'm not thrilled with Baker or the DD7 at this point & would not buy another one, but I'm kinda stuck with it & need to get it working again somehow.  At this point, it is barely rideable.  I can drop it into 1st & take off but when I go to shift into 2nd it hangs in 1st gear until I bang it a few times & kinda jam it into 2nd.  Shifting into 3rd & up work OK & it downshifts OK but it used to drop into neutral easily & now I pretty much have to shut it off to get it into neutral.

I'm not sure where to go with it at this point, I don't have another tranny to throw into it at that point & am not having much luck with BAker.

~John
That sucks.
Worth a call to Mark at R&D tel:(727) 447-4551

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: jmorton10 on October 10, 2019, 08:07:19 AM

When you sent it back, did you return the main drive gear also or just the rest of the gearset??

~John
I did not send the MDG. I sent the gearset & shifter pawl thingy.

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: pwmorris on October 10, 2019, 02:15:50 PM
Hey John,
Long shot but...
Worth checking...

~John
That sucks.
I thought Mark was no longer with Baker?

Ohio HD

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on October 10, 2019, 06:40:06 PM
Quote from: pwmorris on October 10, 2019, 02:15:50 PM
Hey John,
Long shot but...
Worth checking...

~John
That sucks.
I thought Mark was no longer with Baker?

That's not Mark at Baker, or Baker. It's R&D in Florida.

rbabos

Quote from: FSG on August 05, 2019, 05:00:48 PM
QuoteThis is all second/third hand info...

that's the best kind to have, it gets the forums buzzing   :SM:
Yes, direct and exacting advise is so boring.  :hyst:
Ron

jmorton10

Any word from Baker yet??

~John

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: jmorton10 on October 25, 2019, 07:29:57 AM

Any word from Baker yet??

~John

It arrived back here on Wednesday. There was no note, indication of any kind in the box, they did include all new gaskets & a seal for the shifter shaft. I emailed them as to what they found, here was the response...

It appears there was nothing major found to be wrong with the gearset. There was some light scoring on a couple of the gears and one tight dog tooth gap on one pair. These issues were corrected and the gearset was completely rebuilt.

It will be another week or so until I get time to reinstall it, we'll see. I really was hoping there would be a bigger smoking gun.

jmorton10

I have a Grudgebox coming for mine.

Then I will send them the DD7 & sell it after I get it back.

~John

Ohio HD

I would have waited a month, Baker Black Friday sales are really good. They sell them less than dealers cost.

Rockout Rocker Products

FWIW here's what was done to mine/included in returned unit...

[attach=0]

jmorton10

Baker actually called me today & gave me an RMA # to return the DD7 for repair.

~John

kd

After running the GrudgeBox are you going to switch back? 
KD

jmorton10