April 18, 2024, 04:45:14 AM

News:

Yellow/Orange Transmission fluid

Started by SmokyOwl, August 02, 2019, 08:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaos901

QuoteMotor oil is much more prone to condensation.

H-D seems to want the same fluid in all three holes.  Not in mine (now), but lots of folks do it that way.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Hossamania

Quote from: chaos901 on August 08, 2019, 07:57:55 AM
QuoteMotor oil is much more prone to condensation.

H-D seems to want the same fluid in all three holes.  Not in mine (now), but lots of folks do it that way.

I should have said, oil in the motor is more prone to condensation, as opposed to the oil in the trans or primary.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

SmokyOwl

I'd like to mix some oil with water this weekend and experiment but I'm working  :banghead:  I'd also like to dump a little oil out and post a picture here of the stuff, see how it's doing after 1,000 more miles.

Could it have been something from the factory- like a lime packet that wasn't spotted during installation or something that was crammed in a corner eventually dropped and exploded inside the case?  I'm just trying to think of stuff it could be other than the condensation theory.
"Attack life.  It's going to kill you anyways." - Steve McQueen

koko3052

I think that you should keep riding it & changing the trans. oil until it cleans up & then just monitor.

PoorUB

I agree, stop worrying about it, change it a couple times and ride it. I doubt there is anything in the tranny that will hurt any thing, certainly after a couple lube changes. It is a pretty simple gear box, as long as it has lube it will be happy. It worked well after a lube change.

We know a tech dumped dye into it, I still believe that is what it is, maybe the tech over did the dye shot. If one ounce is good, ten is better!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

smoserx1

Remember oil and water don't really mix.  If you do manage to get it dispersed you really end up with hundreds of tiny drops of water in the oil, but still not really mixed.  A milky appearance usually results.  Just change it and ride.

SmokyOwl

May 21, 2020, 01:41:51 PM #31 Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 04:37:53 PM by SmokyOwl
So here I am again, 9 months later- with discolored transmission fluid.  I'm convinced it's water mixing in.  I've also just heard it might be from sitting over the winter, and that having it changing colors is a regular occurrence.  To back up that claim, a friend's '15 slim is also a dark green after 3 years.  Perhaps it is a winter storage thing, as this is not happening with everybody, but I'll be changing fluid out either before or after winter storage from here on out. 

PoorUB

What are you running for transmission lube?

Hossamania

Send a sample off to Blackstone for examination.

SmokyOwl

Quote from: Hossamania on May 21, 2020, 03:44:11 PM
Send a sample off to Blackstone for examination.
That is an excellent idea Hoss- I have a kit already too. 

Quote from: PoorUB on May 21, 2020, 02:39:08 PM
What are you running for transmission lube?
I'm using that new oil that Harley came out with, Heavy Synthetic Gear Oil 80W-140 [62600091] At $20 a quart I'm glad it takes just under a quart to fill it.

PoorUB

Were both times with HD lube? Then try something else. It may be just HD's oil. You can buy 75w140 syn at any auto parts store and it might be less money.

Hossamania

Bel Ray 75/140 was $19 a quart at the bike show last year, I held off thinking I could get it for much less at the store. Yep, less, $18.99. So $20 isn't out of line.
I agree with PoorUB, try a different brand, I'm partial to Bel Ray and and Spectro. But I've run almost everything. Just put Drag Specialty tranny gear lube in my  brother's.

SmokyOwl

I guess we'll find out in another 6 months, I mean whatever is going on is a recurring thing.  I have a feeling the only thing that'll change by changing brands will be what color it ends up being.  The first time it happened, I don't know what fluid was in it, but the HD gear oil had just come out for sale so the oil was different now than last time.  However that time it was an orange/yellow, and now it's an olive green, which makes me think that different gear oil will produce a different color but the same milky result.

I look forward to another 6+ months to check my friend's slim as well, as we changed the trans fluids at the same time with the same HD gear oil.  Do some comparisons.

smoserx1

In your OP last august you said the tranny wasn't shifting well.  How is it shifting now?  If it is just a color change that might not be too bad.  I have never really had it happen with a lubricant, but I use DOT 5 brake fluid, which is silicone oil based.  It is dyed a light purple new but in just a few months in my bike will change to a yellowish green, about the color of a tennis ball.  Doesn't seem to affect its functionality though.

SmokyOwl

Quote from: smoserx1 on May 22, 2020, 04:07:25 AM
In your OP last august you said the tranny wasn't shifting well.  How is it shifting now?  If it is just a color change that might not be too bad.  I have never really had it happen with a lubricant, but I use DOT 5 brake fluid, which is silicone oil based.  It is dyed a light purple new but in just a few months in my bike will change to a yellowish green, about the color of a tennis ball.  Doesn't seem to affect its functionality though.

It's shifting fine, but the consistency was much thicker the first time than it is now- pretty sure that was the main reason for the difficult shifts, the oil was like paint.  I installed a little clutch lever extension and needed to drain the transmission and when I did it was  :emoGroan: "not again".  However I suppose it's better to know now than later when it'd become an issue. 

You use brake fluid in your transmission?  Never heard of that one, I'd think that'd be too thin.

smoserx1

QuoteYou use brake fluid in your transmission?  Never heard of that one, I'd think that'd be too thin.

No! (LOL) I didn't mean that!  Changes color in the master cylinder reservoirs.

Hossamania

Quote from: smoserx1 on May 22, 2020, 03:20:21 PM
QuoteYou use brake fluid in your transmission?  Never heard of that one, I'd think that'd be too thin.

:hyst:

SmokyOwl

May 22, 2020, 10:02:41 PM #42 Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 10:17:36 PM by SmokyOwl
Quote from: smoserx1 on May 22, 2020, 03:20:21 PM

OK, you had me concerned there  :hyst:

I just re-read chaos' post...

Quote from: chaos901 on August 08, 2019, 07:57:55 AM

:hyst:  Oh I needed that laugh!

smoserx1

Yea that is pretty funny but after I re-read my own post I can see how it could be interpreted I was using DOT 5 in the tranny.