May 04, 2024, 09:42:47 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

WTF is wrong with the coolant pumps?

Started by codyshop, August 21, 2019, 08:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyshop

We started keeping a record this year because of the last few years' incidents and had 27 coolant pump failures in July and August (to date.)   Most seem to be with 2015 Limiteds (both FLH and FLT but a fair number of trikes.) Ideas? 

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: codyshop on August 21, 2019, 08:13:36 PM
We started keeping a record this year because of the last few years' incidents and had 27 coolant pump failures in July and August (to date.)   Most seem to be with 2015 Limiteds (both FLH and FLT but a fair number of trikes.) Ideas?

Well, mine went out on my '15 Limited  :hyst:

Mine was due to congealed coolant stalling the pump. Others I have seen are from one particular solder joint failing. It's an embarrassment to HD that they recognized the problem, redesigned the pump but didn't do a recall. This on $25,000-$40,000 motorcycles. F-U to the owners.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

codyshop

...and the pumps were on national back-order (for the second year in a row.) 

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Welcome to my world. No wears near as bad as yours!

Here is my theory.

After changing about 8 -10, ALL on Limited's, I checked the Specific Gravity of the Coolant when they failed. With the exception on ONE, the Glycerol to Water was 80+/20 making it good to -160F* (perfect riding weather) . I began mixing it to 0*F (about 60/40) and the problem has seemed to stop. But, really can't say how many miles they have on them now as I have not seen them since May.

This in no way is a Scientific Analysis. But, I wondered if by error, they were initially serviced incorrectly.

To be fair, the one that did fail had an issue being commanded(ground switched) by the E.C.M. which was corrected by cleaning the terminals with Contact Cleaner and reinserting with Dielectric Grease. This also seems to be an issue. Last year (or the year before) I had several that had "switching problems". Unfortunately I didn't figure that out until I began replacing pumps which were not the problem.
Tom

Hossamania

The appeal of motorcycles is their simplicity. No longer. Complex, heavy, expensive.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: Hossamania on August 22, 2019, 04:41:40 AM
The appeal of motorcycles is their simplicity. No longer. Complex, heavy, expensive.

:agree:
Tom

tomcat64

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on August 21, 2019, 09:05:17 PM
Quote from: codyshop on August 21, 2019, 08:13:36 PM

Well, mine went out on my '15 Limited  :hyst:

Mine was due to congealed coolant stalling the pump. Others I have seen are from one particular solder joint failing. It's an embarrassment to HD that they recognized the problem, redesigned the pump but didn't do a recall. This on $25,000-$40,000 motorcycles. F-U to the owners.

AGREED!!

14GuineaPig

Has anyone seen the updated pump fail?  It's been about a year now since HD came out with the Coolant Pump Replacement Kit 26800107.  I think it uses the pump that is used on the twin cooled M8 motors.  The other thing that might contribute to pump failure was that the pump runs when ever the engine is running on the 2014 - 2016 models.  On later models, M8s, that use the newer pump, I believe the pump only runs when needed (I could be wrong on that so please correct me if I am).  I wonder how long the newer replacement pumps will last if they are running all the time on the 2014-2016 bikes.  So far I've only heard of 1 M8 having a pump failure.

PoorUB

Probably  will bite my tongue, but Gonenorth and I have 2016 Limiteds with roughly 30,000 miles on them and no pump issues.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

14GuineaPig

I have a 2014 Limited and the original pump lasted 82,000 miles/slightly less than 4 years.  The second pump (original style) is still working at 44,000/just over 2 years.  When the first one was replaced, the dealer also repaired some wiring to the cooling relay.  The original pump failed about 2000 miles / 2 weeks after I had done the second coolant change (using the HD coolant) and while I was returning from a road trip.
I still have a year to go on my ESP, so I'm almost hoping that the second pump will fail so I can get the new updated pump kit.

Flhfxd

This.  :agree:
Hit the nail right on the head.
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

86fxwg

Flush the Dex cool (known as death cool) fill with Honda blue automotive antifreeze.
Google Dex cool & what happens to it when introduced to oxygen.
Guys in the auto industry have some stories to tell on the gelling.
There Was a class action lawsuit few years back not sure what ever came of it.
But I know that crap got drained with the first oil change on my new GM truck 2 year's ago!

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

chopper

It is just incomprehensible that a company like HD can sell a product for so much money.... and have so many problems. Every maker has their share, but it seems that HD feels no obligation to their base. I can't beef about my 02, only having one part failure.
   But I will NOT be buying another new one!   They seem to be targeting a more upscale image. Much like Benz, Porsche, BMW, etc.  Very expensive, complicated machines that have to be dealer maintained.
  I can foresee a time when I'll likely go with a lighter machine. There are so many good bikes available now.. some even still have  CHAINS (gasp!)   
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

Norton Commando

I agree!

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

HV

August 23, 2019, 07:14:14 PM #14 Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 07:20:54 PM by HV
HD just came out with a Kit to update all older pumps to the new M8 style ..( no issues with the M8 pumps )   YET

kit PN 26800107
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Rockout Rocker Products

Discontinue old pump, retrofit new pump, because there wasn't any problem with the old pump.
Harley logic.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

HV

Job Time on the Kit is 2.4 too  :banghead:  not a 5 min Job
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Tail Ridr

Quote from: PIRSCH FIRE WAGON on August 22, 2019, 04:38:50 AM
Welcome to my world. No wears near as bad as yours!

Here is my theory.

I checked the Specific Gravity of the Coolant when they failed. With the exception on ONE, the Glycerol to Water was 80+/20 making it good to -160F* (perfect riding weather) . I began mixing it to 0*F (about 60/40) and the problem has seemed to stop.
Since the day of the more commonly known ethylene-glycol, where you did mix with water to your desired charge, Most of what I see now are pre-mix coolants, without knowing what the charge is... While Harley doesn't manufacture their own coolant, you'd think it would be made to a particular spec with a particular charge...one being of a usable blend not predominately of any alcohol variety. More isn't always better.
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

Dan89flstc

Well, maybe so, but I heard stuff like that when the CB 750 came out in 1970...

Harley is probably the least complex of modern motorcycles, but as far as heavy and expensive, I think you nailed it.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Hossamania

Harleys may be the least complex of many of the bikes, but they are still complex.
And heavy. And expensive.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.