March 28, 2024, 09:22:59 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Spiral vs louvered core tuning

Started by 86fxwg, August 14, 2019, 12:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

86fxwg

Not sure this ? goes hear.
But everything the same on a fat cat. Going from spiral to louvered baffle to help noise any reason for a complete retune?

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

98fxstc

interesting to see where this goes
I have a big bore baffle in my Fatcat (dyna pipe) and enquired from D&D about a spiral baffle for the muffler
I was told they are only available for touring pipes which is what you are talking about I guess ?

The spiral are supposed to be more efficient than the other baffles so I would guess a retune would be required.

86fxwg

I guess I miss represented the post.
Perfferated to louvered baffle.

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

98fxstc

OK
I was told the louvered baffle is better for bottom end
may not be a lot of difference between tunes but they would be different
If you can get a good tune from a Pro who can dial it in pretty quick, I would go for it

86fxwg

Quote from: 98fxstc on August 15, 2019, 12:03:00 AM
OK
I was told the louvered baffle is better for bottom end
may not be a lot of difference between tunes but they would be different
If you can get a good tune from a Pro who can dial it in pretty quick, I would go for it
Was tuned a week ago w/TTS but it's L. A. F w/perferated baffle so he ordered a louvered & stuck it in. Much more neihber friendly. Seat of the pants Dyno it runs the same other than a little less deccel pop which wasn't at all bad before. I contribute that to the louvered baffle.

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

boggart

Depends.  Are you a "close enough" or a "it has to be perfect" guy.

Hossamania

I think I would pay to have him do a couple Dyno runs with it to see where it's at. You paid him to tune your bike so it runs it's best, why give some of that up?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

98fxstc

86fxwg
He should have thought more about the louvered baffle and put it in before he got the tune
I guess he knows that now
He has the TTS and could road tune it himself but TTS is a steep learning curve for beginners

simple answer - go to the dyno guy for peace of mind
he spent the dollars for a quieter pipe, he should spend a few more dollars for a re-tune

BVHOG

Yes it needs a tune, period. Even a very small change in exhaust will create a difference in VE throughout the operating range. And I don't consider what you are proposing a small change by any means.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Hossamania

August 16, 2019, 07:14:13 AM #9 Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 10:25:28 AM by Hossamania
It would be interesting to see the original tune graph, the untuned graph with the new baffles, and the final tune with new baffles. Especially in regards to the afr.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.